PDA

View Full Version : How to make Lightwave attractive for Exterior set extensions and landscapes in Movies

prometheus
07-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Well, Im just cruising for some thoughts of what you guys think is needed to Improve Lightwaves capability and Itīs reputation to provide excellent toolset for the film industri when it comes to create awesome Exterior matte paintings or landscape settings.

Ivé always been fascinated with that topic, and can see how much need there is for movie makers to create stunning sets, realistic but also fast and compatible with other vfx tools for 3d creation.

What could be implemented for these task, how do Lightwave pick up the fight against cinema4d as a tool for creating landscapes as such in prometheus.

Shouldnt lightwave be able to pick a fight with Landscape and atmospheric specific software such as Terragen or Vue? and in such case, where to start?

Could it be to start with terrain generation tools? vegetation tools?
an atmospheric render engine?

thereīs a few plugin tools that might help in these tasks, such as ozone, vue xstream, ogo taiki or terragen, but neighter of them is a good full toolset and is limited in many ways.

Innovative features for this kind of stuff, what could that be?
a google button to find any terrain place and pick out height data within lightwave directly?

Unique fluid sculpting filters that can be applied on geomery for erosion effects etc.

Thoughts and Suggestions please.

Michael

geo_n
07-03-2012, 10:50 AM
ability to model in camera. that would be innovative for lw.
no poor plugin substitute.

prometheus
07-03-2012, 10:55 AM
ability to model in camera. that would be innovative for lw.
no poor plugin substitute.

I think that will come soon, that is modeling in layout, I think one of the first things needed would be a sculpt tool, we have seen it in core, would be a waste of time and resources if it wonīt start to show up.

I can think of drawing out spline curves for road creation too, that would be sweet, kind of how geocontrol or vue has implemented a road tool.

Otherwise, new techniques for handling infinite or large landscapes would be welcome and options for it to be procedural as well as convertable to mesh.

Ogo taiki had an experimental land procedural layer wich means infinite detail no matter how close you are getting with the camera.

silviotoledo
07-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Just add V Ray ( the ghost topic strikes back ) :)

prometheus
07-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Just add V Ray ( the ghost topic strikes back ) :)

Dont know what V ray does for exteriors, landscapes really, Please enlighten me.

Michael

tyrot
07-03-2012, 05:01 PM
prometheus i really wait for same thing for over 15 years i guess. I started LW watching John Gross' Desktop Images - UFO behind the mountain tutorial... Crazy but still we have same tool set. Same problems.. IT is a bit depressing ... honestly ..

Putting Bullet inside of Layout is not a problem but putting a CAMERA inside of Modeler is a rocket science i guess - which kills every joy for set extensions.

(also while moving a ******* 500.000 poly object shouldnt be problem in 2012 in modeler! At least turn the thing to box object...i am really so dissappointed with modeler ... - thanks to plugin army we are still here )

I hope im not hijacking the thread i really cannot believe this we still have no native workflow on this issue... When we even do not have a CAMERA in modeler - just for making a decent object for set extensions- i do not know about other tools..! sorry :(

prometheus
07-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Putting Bullet inside of Layout is not a problem but putting a CAMERA inside of Modeler is a rocket science i guess - which kills every joy for set extensions.
:(

ARe we on the same page here?
Difference between camera in modeler or simply get modeling to layout?

sculpting tools and dedicated terrain tools and to handle massive large terrains or infinite details is most welcome at first, sort of get a world machine, geocontrol or vue terrain typ of terrain creation in there, then
get a decent atmoshperic system in too, next is only to have unique instances for vegetation.

Not fair perhaps to compare against vue and terragen wich been solely focusing on this type of 3D specific software.

wamped ogo taiki, get a tree designing tool and implement them under the same roof meny or toolset, that is what vue does so well.
dp verdure for intergration or tree designer perhaps, some terrain tools and immidiate infinite planes (trueart has one?) set it up with premade water surface and choose to add divisions to it for ocean sets etc.

A lot of tools exist but Itīs not creative to search and finding them installing and mix the soup togheter from scratch, to be efficient all the ingridents should be available within the same toolset I believe.

But as it is now, and has been for years it seems, Nothing..and that sells Nothing.

Somemight say, use that software instead or specific software for that, but that isnīt why I started this thread for, this is for Getting ideas of how to implement it in Lightwave.

silviotoledo
07-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Dont know what V ray does for exteriors, landscapes really, Please enlighten me.

Michael

I was just kidding.

I think better integration with Vue and Terragen would help a lot.
Vue does not work in LW same way it does in Max.
Terragen also exports lwo but does not export/import lws

..and buying and integrating KRay and LWCad would also help a lot :).

prometheus
07-03-2012, 05:43 PM
A better intergration with vue isnīt ideal, Studios should be able to employ lightwave alone without any additional licensing node render cost etc.

and the solutions provided with two apps are always limited, you have to do workarounds for full volumetric compability etc.

A proper Plugin solution such as ogo taiki would be a good start but, that needs interface clean up and a lot of render speed improvements, but otherwise the bas tech is there, thou I suspect they would need to hire some skilled guys to match algoritms for creating physical skies so well as vue and terragen does.

Ozone still has a long way to go to be properly integrated within lightwave, maybe..If they can get it to work with vpr, and not being so slow in conjuction with hypervoxels, and some other things it might be good.

I think you can nail down some main issues

land & terrain creation (including rock creations)
ocean surfaces.
Vegetational creation.
atmospherics, sun and global control.
cloud layers, cloud objects
other image based type of sky backdrops.

Michael

tyrot
07-03-2012, 05:57 PM
ARe we on the same page here?
Difference between camera in modeler or simply get modeling to layout?

we always are :) I am just turning red when i see set extension thread sorry.

But how to implement things into Lightwave question is very debatable and very interesting question and i think answer will be very NT related..

In this thread you say we need a terrain modelling and vue like rendering advancements right..

For this terrain you really have to have - polygon count free - modeler. Do we have one? No! All we can do unfortunately bending - displacing and may be using DPKit's new microdisplacement plugin...

But in current status we do not even have the core for implementing those fine detailed stuff within modeler.. So modeler is dead - for years.

For render advancements like Vue type render.. i think only hope we have is Dupont. Because if he focus on it he will come up with something very very Vue like. I do not think anybody from NT will go after such quests.

But real question is what NT development team goes after? I do not know but they are really going after FPRIME years later or adding virtual camera to LW ...

Will they motivate themselves going after Vue or 3D Coat? Trying to be Modo on some issues?

I really wanna hear some pro user reactions to your original question.

- i hope this time we are on the same page - if not :) im sleeping it is late! and renders are waiting..

prometheus
07-03-2012, 06:18 PM
:D

I think we are on the same page, maybe not quite on the same sentence thou perhaps:D

two a clock past midnight here, I better get some sleep too before the sun enters my window and burn me in the morning, that is within two hours I guess, been rendering explosive test all day.

Yeah will see where newtek will focus on and what they can reveal, Itīs been
a little to quiet now for a while, hope some newsletter shows up soon, I suspect some model improvements and perhaps ported to layout as well.

I have my doubts too, that we will se anyone picking up some running shoes for this endevour thou, would be nice if they start to work at some set exterior landscaping tools thou, I think they could gain a lot of market and place Lightwave higher up as a choice for set extensions when working with big screen movies or television for that matter.

With perspective, neither geocontrol or worldmachine is the perfect terrain tool, those are lacking sculpting tools such as as vue has, but on the other hand ..vue is missing what geocontrol and worldmachine does well, a toolset that could perform as all of them would be the most perfect terrain editor ever.

Perhaps starting a terrain editor is much harder to start with than an atmospheric system.

Throw out the skytracer and replace it with better stuff, so say we all!!

Hitting the sack now, see ya.

Michael

alexs3d
07-03-2012, 11:58 PM
i dealed a lot with landscapes in lightwave recently, what i am really missing are some basic sculpting tools, it doesnīt have to be complex tools, a push, move, pinch ... brush would be perfect to build a basic shape for a landscape.
also some painting tools for painting some basic alphamaps for vegetation distribution or weight map painting i layout

an infinite plane model would be nice :) or a terrain object

we already have some nice tools in lightwave for landscaping, for example do not forget skytracer, it sounds old :) but in my opinion skytracer looks not so bad.
we have distance fog and groundfog, which can be used to make mountains covered in clouds.

also dponts lightkits or the sunlight plugin works well with landscapes.

whatīs crucial is the terain itself, if that looks realistic, the hole scene looks good, i just ordered geocontrol2 last day :) for making realistic terrains.

prometheus
07-04-2012, 12:16 AM
No..skytracer wonīt do it really today, I rather use dponts skylight,dome
or simply use backdrop imagery, or actually use ozone if I would need better atmospheric or clouds that looks decent, but noway skytracer, not only the results, in fact skytracer is very slow when using so called volumetric cloud layers.

Ozone or ogo taiki anytime before that.

The first thing I really miss, that is infinite planes, putting that inside of a landscape toolbox ui menu, and also, terrain planes with zero flat edges so once you use displacements you can activate that and get a perfect smooth ground blend between the large infinite plane and the displacement terrain.

would be nice to have displacement presets wich you can drag and drop on terrains, and with custom falloff, you could have terrain displacement bombs that you can place and click and place and click again after each other to create peaks, mounds etc.

Modo has this built in displacement paint brush from where you could save out sculpted parts like an ear, and then just paint it in on several places, something like that would be nice very useful for rocks.

Ivé been trying to work with fog and backdrop images, unfortunatly I do not see any good way to use them together, generally I use realistic fog and use backdrop color wich then applies the textured environment as fog, but that tends to overlay on objects and give uggly banding caused by the environment cutting trough.

So some better fog tools that can blend backdrop images in distance and height would be good too.

Let me know what you think of geocontrol.
dponīts skylight etc are nice, but it canīt compare to how you set atmosphere and lighting with vue, fog, haze, air scattering, those are not available in dponīts nodes.
Thatīs vues greatest strenght I think, and the immidiate feedback you get over terrain and lighting
Michael

papou
07-04-2012, 09:00 AM
somes natural procedurales are welcome like moutain with erosion parameter, etc...

hmm i prefer a camera view in modeler too. It sound easier and faster to integrate that a total modeler in layout...

djwaterman
07-04-2012, 09:31 AM
I vote for the import camera view into Modeler as a quick fix while we wait for the product to be properly integrated. It sounds like the quickest solution, maybe a 3rd party plugin? All the sky and terrain modelling stuff can be done already in many ways inside of and outside of Lightwave, it given that you'd use different packages for different things but it all has to match the camera in the end so if it was one thing, it would be the camera view in modeler.

bobakabob
07-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Prometheus,

Very good thread, agree with all the innovative suggestions here.

* Skytracer has so much potential but could really do with some TLC. How about a more creative cloud generator or at least an updated set of Presets (the present ones have been there for centuries)? There doesn't seem to be a way of changing the colour of the skies and the cloud textures / formations are limited.

* Hypervoxels: It would be great to see some attention here. I've struggled to create decent clouds using Volume and always end up using sprites.

It would be great to see landscapes produced entirely in Lightwave. Here's a recent one created using displacement:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5444/7216381708_bb65007b9c_c.jpg

prometheus
07-04-2012, 12:39 PM
I do not see any potentional in skytracer, basic skie and air dispersion has a distinct style to it recognizable almost in any image created with it.
and I even think it is slower than ogo taiki even.

Ogo taiki has enourmous potentional, works with VPR as opposed to ozone, works with native lightwave procedurals, works with particles for creating animated clouds rising etc, has heat air anisotrophy for shimmering heat days, lotīs there that ozone do not have, ogo also has procedural terrain and water.

I have no Idea if Newtek has been interested on getting hold of it to implement it, buy it from the author or something, maybe they tried but havenīt gotten any respons, or maybe they simply havent, who knows?
Personally it would be a shame if they didnīt investigate that option.

As someone mentioned here, there are tools here and there for skies and terrain, but the issue of being creative with lightwave is...it takes to much time to set things up and thus you loose creativity.

Just improving the workflow how we could work with terrain planes etc would do a lot. as it is now, create a grid, divide it, got to properties, displacement tab, add a procedural layer, then you have to set the values up, add gradients,weight maps, model correct or use image maps to zero out terrain edges.

Then add a new procedural layer, move it and change a little and so on.
This could easy be improved by simply having dedicated terrain planes from a shelf to drag and drop, first drag your infinit plane, then your terrain grid plan..

you could in the same shelf have Displacement presets that you also can save, those can be dragged and dropped like boms to the area within the grid where ever you want, with zero edges to blend smoothly, right klick or middle klick and move mouse and place another one, extremly fast workflow, more advance you could select the displacement bombs anywhere, or from a list, and simply change procedural.

check my picasaweb link for some fooling around with image backdrops, one dponts sunsky backdrop..

https://picasaweb.google.com/illibrium/LightwaveTestRenders02
http://picasaweb.google.com/illibrium

I really do now put all my effort in to it thou, merely testing, I loose creativity due to some limitations of lightwave, and the simple fact that it takes to long to set up and tweak, I think I could enhance every render maybe 80%.
If there was some better workflow and tools for it, I would do that in a blast and actually continue to do soo.

I could really set up much much better landscapes atmospheres within a fraction of the time with vue, but It is in lightwave I want similar tools to work with.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2OTZJ6kKWQU/T_SD37gb3eI/AAAAAAAAB-c/B3SgrxEpvFE/s1024/terrain%2520test%2520simple%2520v11.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-238k3glSWf0/T_SDvxD0SOI/AAAAAAAAB-U/KhE2wdeOnNE/s1280/image0000_010.jpg

prometheus
07-04-2012, 01:13 PM
I canīt get any insight to what Cinema4d has to offer that would be missing Inside of lightwave thou, That is... if the same skilled Artistīs could push out
these environment shotīs with Lightwave as well, and with the same ease, given the notion that they knew how to use Lightwave.

http://www.maxon.net/uploads/pics/web_p54.jpg
http://www.maxon.net/uploads/pics/web_p71.jpg

Article here...
http://www.maxon.net/en/news/singleview-default/article/prometheus-vfx-art.html

Michael

Cageman
07-04-2012, 01:25 PM
somes natural procedurales are welcome like moutain with erosion parameter, etc...

hmm i prefer a camera view in modeler too. It sound easier and faster to integrate that a total modeler in layout...

Well... I view it as you still do your base model in Modeler, but you have the ability to manipulate verts, polys and edges in Layout. That shouldn't be superhard to implement, I guess, which mean that it should be much easier to work with projectionmeshes in Layout.

geo_n
07-04-2012, 02:19 PM
I canīt get any insight to what Cinema4d has to offer that would be missing Inside of lightwave thou, That is... if the same skilled Artistīs could push out
these environment shotīs with Lightwave as well, and with the same ease, given the notion that they knew how to use Lightwave.

http://www.maxon.net/uploads/pics/web_p54.jpg
http://www.maxon.net/uploads/pics/web_p71.jpg

Article here...
http://www.maxon.net/en/news/singleview-default/article/prometheus-vfx-art.html

Michael

For still images like that it needs more skills in matt painting and post work rather than trying to do it all in 3D. Even Bryce would be able to do those images with help from good matt painters.

prometheus
07-04-2012, 02:27 PM
For still images like that it needs more skills in matt painting and post work rather than trying to do it all in 3D. Even Bryce would be able to do those images with help from good matt painters.

well..yeah sure, that was the concept drawings mostly I believe, canīt really link to final shots, unless just pointing to trailers.
Still havenīt seen the movie, upcoming days perhaps.

nevertheless, just wondering if Cinema has better built in tools for the tasks, or it could equally be just a matter how much time and skills the Artist has put in to the landscape scenearios, modeling cliff parts by hand and put layer on layer with fine details.

Michael

prometheus
07-04-2012, 05:51 PM
kudos for Dennis and dponīt sunsky plugin, I just installed it and will try it out, the sunsky plugin has some enhancement including a volumetric plugin, and a new lighttype, SK sunllight and with that I actually got me the Stockholm location finally wich werenīt there in native Lightwave sunposition.

some nice additions and it automaticly colors hv clouds in in respect to how you set the sunposition,
But it has a workflow of using it that isnīt fast and initiuve, (have to whine always:) )
You have to go throu several menus and add this plugins one by one, one for volumetric, set environment set the sunlight etc, if it were under one and same UI roof, it would make it so much easier and faster to work with.

Anyway, go and get it, and please give a donation, updated 2012-04-07
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Sunsky.html

Michael

Lewis
07-05-2012, 01:53 AM
Denis Made Lscript which adds all stuff automatically to right places for his Sunsky so you might try that too for workflow boost.

alexs3d
07-05-2012, 02:08 AM
@lewis - yes the Lscript for setting up sunsky is very cool,

@prometheus - how did you do the white foam in the water at the edge of the landsape in your second image

maybe we make a new thread with all the tips and tricks to become a better landscaper in lightwave.
we also can make an asset thread with nature objects.

prometheus
07-05-2012, 05:08 AM
@lewis - yes the Lscript for setting up sunsky is very cool,

@prometheus - how did you do the white foam in the water at the edge of the landsape in your second image

maybe we make a new thread with all the tips and tricks to become a better landscaper in lightwave.
we also can make an asset thread with nature objects.

Canīt recall exactlly, the scene is tucked away on my other computer I think, and that is still down due to faulty main drive, have to fix that first.

but It is just some gradient settings, wich use the surface thickness so the water gets murky when itīs deeper, then I think I just corrected that gradient with some white colors at the beginning of the gradient.

Yes, could be an idea to have a new thread especially for landscaping perhaps.
Assets would be a good idea, surfaces could and should be made more available, with water planes, and terrain shading, donīt think the presets that come with Lightwave is good enough really.

I noticed the add sunsky Lscript after my comments.
I can see some improvements now on how sunsky affects hypervoxels, so it looks more realistic once you change time and how the color affects hypervoxels clouds etc, I tested with a couple of nulls, but when I started the render it became extremly slow, Im not sure if I had set something wrong or so,

It doesnīt usally take me that much time to spit out hvīs as I recall, but it became unusefull, took over 8 hours and was only up to 70% in the morning and I cancelled it.

Michael

alexs3d
07-05-2012, 06:12 AM
also a drop to floor or on object function would be cool, to drop plants on the displaced surface.

yes is was surface thickness, i tried it, thanks for the tip.

prometheus
07-05-2012, 06:38 AM
also a drop to floor or on object function would be cool, to drop plants on the displaced surface.

yes is was surface thickness, i tried it, thanks for the tip.

Exactly, thou there are third party tools like veggipaint and sumatra to do that or use lwcad, but again, native in lightwave please.
Perhaps improvement to instancing with an air brush placement tool, would
be the closest to native if they start working on it. Newt ..start think All Out of the box or from within the box again! (the luxology team honors that Philosofy still)

Veggipaint..
https://vimeo.com/2251573

Sumatra...
http://svenart.de/sumatra_about.htm

just drag and drop rocks, stones, cliffs from your own premade toolshelf for example.

drag and drop, or mouse click displacement (bombs) as I call them would really be sweet, sort of zbrush premade brushes or modoīs sculpt tool with premade geometry sculpted.

checking Hvīs again, I noticed that one by one each single null cloud renders within 27 seconds, but when they are two an clipped together, you end up with hours, a litte strange thou, I thought I managed to arrange some null setups before with decent render times, have to check those scenes again.
Vpr makes it tweakable and seems to handle multi voxel objects better, seems odd that final render would be so slow, when they render within 27 seconds alone.

alexs3d
07-05-2012, 06:46 AM
thatīs a strange error with the hv ???
by the way your clouds looks fantastic ;)

yes all native lightwave, the only external programm i use is geocontrol2 :) but it lools so awesome the mountains made in geocontrol, mayby i can show a picture i am working on later with a mountain from geocontrol ;)

prometheus
07-05-2012, 07:05 AM
thatīs a strange error with the hv ???
by the way your clouds looks fantastic ;)

yes all native lightwave, the only external programm i use is geocontrol2 :) but it lools so awesome the mountains made in geocontrol, mayby i can show a picture i am working on later with a mountain from geocontrol ;)

Thanks, If I could have my way(get my will through) with implementing cloud tools, then I promise you that my clouds would looks 80-90% better and that wouldnīt suck exactly:)

Think Ivé been trying alot of software from ozone,vue,terragen,carrara, but none is really satisfactory, vue has a tendency to not get any decent metaclouds as I want them, if I had the render technology and shading lighting from vue, but with Lightwaves procedurals that could be something.

think terragen clouds still has the best noise fractals and lighting, but man that is so slow to preview and tweak, and you can not set up metaclouds or cloud objects.

Have been trying turbulenceFD for clouds too, wich is promising, but I need to verify how it interacts with sunsky and thereīs a problem with that you can not save out static cloud simulations and load back in.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102529&d=1331488884

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103576&d=1334683678

Cirrus style clouds from fluids...
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103677&d=1334866270
[

Old samples of Hv clouds, a couple of nulls used, these would look better now with the new sunsky plugin I believe, once I correct lighting and shading..
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103137&d=1333366928

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103138&d=1333366941

grid plane and voxels adapted on to them..
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103135&d=1333366891

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103136&d=1333366914

mikkelen
07-05-2012, 07:13 AM
I use LightWave for this purpose, but rendering in Maxwell in OpenEXR is a must for my work-flow.

The biggest issue with LightWave is it lack of speed in OSX. The modeller is extremely slow. If LightWave was more stable, robust and faster (performance vice) - I would have no issues bringing the software to large projects, but unfortunately LW is too risky at this point...

kadri
07-05-2012, 07:40 AM
..., and you can not set up metaclouds or cloud objects.

Did you see these threads Prometheus ?

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3691.msg50573#msg50573

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3691.msg119579#msg119579

It depends on what you want but i don't use the method in those links. I use the "Localise" option in the cloud node when i want more exact clouds in specific places mostly.

But look here too please :
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=12504.msg125620#msg125620

prometheus
07-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Did you see these threads Prometheus ?

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3691.msg50573#msg50573

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3691.msg119579#msg119579

It depends on what you want but i don't use the method in those links. I use the "Localise" option in the cloud node when i want more exact clouds in specific places mostly.

But look here too please :
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=12504.msg125620#msg125620

maybe, but havenīt read through them, not sure, thanks for the tip.

I just installed terragen2 free version a couple of days ago, have tested it some year agoo too, took me a day to figure out how to work with the cloud settings, and yes I found the localized parameters to sort of cut of the density for a single cloud object type.

I could probably spend a couple of hours or days more and get much better clouds in Terragen, but it is a pain in the..because you do not get such instant preview feedback as you do with vue or with hvīs for that matter.
Besides we get of topic from how to make Lightwave a better tool:D

Michael

Terragen...first cloud samples.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105392&stc=1&d=1341499054

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105393&stc=1&d=1341499076

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105394&stc=1&d=1341499099

prometheus
07-15-2012, 11:01 AM
hereīs something I mentioned regarding improving lightwave as a Landscape tool, and I was suggesting direct acess to google terrains etc withing lightwave, Now I just recently found this..but itīs a plugin for 3d max that does just this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUhPyoB_pPY&feature=related

Ivé started to take a look in to working with terrains and sculpting rocks with zbrush too, wich I think is a good workflow,I start to believe
it might be essential actually If you can afford the two apps.

But I rather see mesh inserts, or displacement inserts and sculpting tools such as zbrush and modo has, directly inside of lightwave, and that is to make Lightwave the forward most selling tool, Out of the box without the need of extra tools or plugins.

Otherwise, hereīs a good tutorial for rock creation in zbrush, with goz, editing and shaping terrains is easier now to switch over to lightwave.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tz7na7Y75o

Michael

Mr Rid
07-15-2012, 12:46 PM
..but itīs a plugin for 3d max that does just this....

Michael

There is also a DEMscape plug for LW-
http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/
I last used in LW8- https://www.box.com/shared/static/acsz3tmim6.mov

prometheus
07-15-2012, 01:25 PM
There is also a DEMscape plug for LW-
http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/
I last used in LW8- https://www.box.com/shared/static/acsz3tmim6.mov

That might work too, nice instancing there.

Have to check that plug again, I think I tried that a long long time ago.
However, that will not give us the same fast ..google locate and add to Lightwave scene function that I would like to see implemented, you can of course search around areas locate and extract dems from national map seamless server, and even that is limited.
http://seamless.usgs.gov/website/seamless/viewer.htm

I wonder if the creators of the spartacus series ever followed the series up with that massive crucifixion of over 6000 revolting people as the history tells,lining the appian way from rome to capua?
That would surely be a job for you:)

Tiny things does a lot thou, simple add infinity planes, with either ground and ground surface, or water with water surface premade does a lot, add to that, displacement presets to drag and drop on to division grids, or insert mesh tools+ plus simple sculpt brushes for starters.

Michael

papou
07-15-2012, 05:13 PM
i don't know about your country but in europa, you can't use Google Datas for any commercials task. Exept if you are using their GUI and let Google word watermark.

prometheus
07-16-2012, 02:53 PM
i don't know about your country but in europa, you can't use Google Datas for any commercials task. Exept if you are using their GUI and let Google word watermark.

You could alwas send a requiry and ask for permission I guess if you were to work on a commercial project, maybe for a fee or something.

Might be a good Idea to investigate if that is possible thou, before trying to work out that tool.

For your own reel or images that are portfolios only, I believe that would be okey.

Michael

prometheus
01-17-2013, 08:01 PM

Old revival...

Well of course you can use Google data for commercial tasks, If you pay for it... that is what they used for Prometheus, I think? at least they purchased elevation data, but now quite sure if it was from google data or other survey company?

Otherwise..commercial use, then you should afford it, for demos..well then it is okey to use free stuff..since your just doing demo projects.

rhino terrain 1.8 could extract from google earth directly.
and hereīs a forum explaining another way to extract google data..havenīt followed it though.
I too was very fascinated of the landscape from wadi rum, so flying and browsing over that area in google earth was cool.
I checked the usgs data and marked that area, but no good results was retrieved from that, donīt think it has been scanned properly or it simply isnīt available in free sets.

Michael