PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Kindle Fire

shrox
07-02-2012, 06:05 PM
So far, it's pretty nice. Full color, browser, etc. 7" screen is clear, and it fairly fast.

Ryan Roye
07-02-2012, 06:50 PM
pfft... I have a dell axim x5. 200 mhz of pure processing power... 15 minutes of battery life... brick-sized, detachable keyboard (also brick-sized). Comfortable reading on a credit-card sized screen ;)

geo_n
07-02-2012, 09:19 PM
google nexus seems better.

Riff_Masteroff
07-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Heard a news report (I don't have URL) that Amazon is quite able to delete any book from any and all kindles by remote. And they have. Amazon had a copy write problem with George Orwell's novel, 1984. So they simply deleted, without notice, every 1984 book on everybody's Kindle automajically.

My problem with kindles is not the hardware. Its renting everything you own . . . and paying installments forever. Didn't use to be that way.

Brötje
07-03-2012, 01:28 AM
Heard a news report (I don't have URL) that Amazon is quite able to delete any book from any and all kindles by remote. And they have. Amazon had a copy write problem with George Orwell's novel, 1984. So they simply deleted, without notice, every 1984 book on everybody's Kindle automajically.

My problem with kindles is not the hardware. Its renting everything you own . . . and paying installments forever. Didn't use to be that way.

Apple is doing the same with iTunes. They can do what they seem fit. If they want, they can erase your whole damn library. Suddenly, I find myself longing for tapes and vinyl records.

cresshead
07-03-2012, 04:35 AM

The book in question had some copyright issue arise which left amazon in the unfortunate position of deleting the book and refunding the money.
They didn't do it just to annoy their customers and prove they can be mean and nasty.:D

The upside on the connection to amazon with purchased books is that any errors or typos found in a book can be edited and then the new book automatically updated on your kindle3g without you having to manually re download it and install.

also i bought an ipad recently and when i loaded the kindle app on it and signed in - all my bought books from amazon auto-magically downloaded and sync'd up.
love it!

e books aren't for everyone or every type of book but they are pretty darn cool and we'll see in the not too distant future that real printed books will be more of a collector item than anything.

cresshead
07-03-2012, 04:42 AM
So far, it's pretty nice. Full color, browser, etc. 7" screen is clear, and it fairly fast.

still no sign of the Kindle Fire arriving in the Uk or europe..it looks pretty amazing, i have a e ink kindle3g, a koboVOX and a ipad running a kindle app as well as my phone (android HTC)

kindle fire has some tough competition coming from the google nexus7 which should be available in the UK soon. I guess that amazon has a new device n the wings that might actually arrive in the UK this xmas!

rcallicotte
07-03-2012, 06:37 AM
I like the Kindle Fire. Good for reading books, some apps and some surfing. I like the Store, too. It is fast.

shrox
07-03-2012, 07:35 PM
I bought it as a video player and for web access. it's my first step into computing sans keyboard. Sound is lacking a bit though.

zardoz
07-04-2012, 02:47 AM
I just got my Kindle (it's a simple one, not the touch) and I'm loving it. I only want it for reading and it's perfect. I hate to read in computer screens and other illuminated screens so the kindle is absolutely perfect. I don't know about the Fire one but probably for reading won't be good too.

Iain
07-04-2012, 04:05 AM
I just got my Kindle (it's a simple one, not the touch) and I'm loving it. I only want it for reading and it's perfect..

Me too. I took a while to come round to ebooks (I still buy CDs :)) but the Kindle is very good.

My kids have an iPad and I was impressed for a while but the novelty is wearing off on me. My laptop is so much more versatile.

BeeVee
07-04-2012, 09:04 AM
I have been reading digitally for some 12 years now since I first got a Palm, but I still buy books. I did buy my wife a Nook in the last month for her birthday, but it's been rooted so it's an Android tablet now. Of course, just got it sorted when the news of the Google tablet was released - aargh!

B

jaf
07-04-2012, 09:10 PM
I have a Kindle Touch and love it. I back my books up to my PC (check out the free app. Calibre for managing and converting ebook formats.) Seems to me Amazon would have a hard time deleting my books from my PC. I can just copy them back to my Kindle if they delete anything there.

Just finished reading two years of Astounding SF (1930 - 31.)

zardoz
07-05-2012, 02:59 AM
I read the reviews about the kindle touch and because lots of people complained about ghosting and needing to slide 2 or 3 times to change the page I decided to buy the simple version and I am really happy with it. Do you have any of these problems jaf?

ken_g9
07-05-2012, 04:14 AM
Kindle's problem is that it's not available outside the US. :D

That said, I think the Nexus 7 would be a better option for the price, unless you need the Amazon ecosystem.

I heard there would be a Kindle Fire 2 this summer.

zardoz
07-05-2012, 04:33 AM
hmm it is available outside the US. I'm in Portugal and it arrived in 3 days.

BeeVee
07-05-2012, 06:10 AM
It's perhaps the Barnes & Noble Nook you are thinking of Ken. That one isn't available outside US borders (unless you have a friend who's willing to ship you one).

B

alexos
07-05-2012, 07:26 AM
hmm it is available outside the US. I'm in Portugal and it arrived in 3 days.

I think he meant the Kindle Fire, which I also tried to order about five minutes after it was announced, one year ago, only to receive the dreaded "we vaule you as a customer, but you're a damn foreigner so sod off!" reply from Amazon CS. In fact, the biggest advantage the upcoming Google Whatever seems to have on the Fire 2 is just that - it should be available everywhere.

Having said that, the "original" ebooks-only Kindle (and its e-ink companions) is still unbeatable for reading comfort, no matter how many dpi Apple and the others cram into their fabulously coloured screens.

ADP.

colkai
07-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Sticking with my Sony PRS-505.
May be "old" now, but does the job, even if it is a bit slow. :)

shrox
07-05-2012, 01:27 PM
I happy with the Fire, it's not a bunch of stuff shoved into one package, why make phones from a glass brick anyway?

jaf
07-05-2012, 02:06 PM
I read the reviews about the kindle touch and because lots of people complained about ghosting and needing to slide 2 or 3 times to change the page I decided to buy the simple version and I am really happy with it. Do you have any of these problems jaf?

Not too often. Once in a while I tap it too softly. I think it becomes "second nature" after you use it a while (to tap it correctly.)

Also, sometimes I would bump the display by accident and it would skip forward several pages, but I'm also more aware when I handle it now, so that problem doesn't happen too frequently.

glebe digital
07-05-2012, 03:27 PM
e books aren't for everyone or every type of book but they are pretty darn cool and we'll see in the not too distant future that real printed books will be more of a collector item than anything.

My bookshelves have their fingers crossed . . . . . ithingy or a 2nd-hand PK Ripper . . . . no contest. :hey:

Dexter2999
07-05-2012, 03:37 PM
I prefer my books to be made of paper. But in the interests of the planet I wish most all magazines would move to e-readers. Books you save, periodicals usually just get disposed of. (Exception being things like my collection of Cinefex and HDRI magazines.)

shrox
07-05-2012, 03:52 PM
I got it as a way to show my work to people, for that is is great, small enough to be portable, big enough for easy viewing.

zardoz
07-05-2012, 03:58 PM
yep. pads are really good for watching videos. I don't have one (iPad or Android tablet) but I have a samsung s2 and the screen quality is amazing. but for reading I hate any kind of tablet. or monitor screen. for reading the kindle (eink) is really good. it looks like paper.

shrox
07-05-2012, 04:07 PM
For reading, I like paper, but video loses something when transferred to paper...

Silkrooster
07-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Two things I did after I got the kindle fire. 1) purchased the usb cable and 2) purchased a stylus for the thing.
Much happier now, don't have to worry about smudges and can transfer much more quickly than through the cloud.
I complained to Amazon about the cable and told them it should be with all fires from the start. What is $5.00 when sometime (hopefully never) in the future there is a bug in the OS that keeps it from updating via the net. There will be a lot of unhappy people demanding a cable, just to update.
Hopefully they listened and it will be with the next version, assuming they didn't wake up the next day and said, "yeah I can see that happening, we better make good now while we can".
Oh well, dream a little dream.

alexos
07-06-2012, 06:51 AM
I was a die "hard paper fan" once... then I saw the first kindle's eInk display with my own eyes and was so impressed... I mean, geez, I tried to peel of the non-existing display foil

Heh, yeah, I remember trying to do the same when I unpacked mine. "Oh nice print, er, wait... What?!"

found out about the easteregg games (not much, but hey - for long travels... I played Gomoku and even Minesweeper for quite a while :D)

EH?! Damn, I had no idea!

a free online encyclopedia, no internet costs? No complaints here... :)
Sure I still want special, beloved books on my shelf (and in my hands of course)!

Couldn't agree more. I, too, buy paper versions of my favourite books but the Kindle is so great, after two+ years I still marvel at the thing. The only drawback is that buying books is so damn easy I tend to forget about small details such as, you know, my budget... :P

ADP.

ken_g9
07-07-2012, 01:53 AM
Yeah, I meant the Kindle Fire. Didn't know they were available outside the US. I just recently heard that they will start selling the Fire in the UK soon. Are Amazon services available outside the US? (Granted I have someone ship it to me from the US).

If anything, I hope the Nexus 7 does rive down the prices of other Android tablets from the $500 range to around $300. (Here's hoping!) :D

Another rumor circulating the interwebs is that Apple will release a 7" iPad to get a portion of the 7" tablet market. Hmmmm.....

geo_n
07-07-2012, 03:32 AM
The services are available if you use a US credit card :D
The only thing I don't like about some tablets is that they're locked to their ways of doing things. Nexus doesn't have an external sd card, hdmi plug. Ipad doesn't have usb, etc. They all want you to use their services, the cloud, etc.
The OEM tablets are better for the price. I have a 95USD tablet that I use more than the Ipad.

ken_g9
07-09-2012, 04:18 AM
I think that's the real draw of these manufacturers when you by their products. You don't only buy the physical hardware but the accompanying ecosystem. Amazon for the Kindle Fire, iTunes store for the iPad, Google Play Store for Android tablets, etc. That said, I find the Android ecosystem the most "open" so to speak, as it's really easy to sideload apps, add pictures and videos to the device without going through a 'channel' like itunes. This works better for some, but I guess not for me.

It's not confirmed though, but the Nexus should be able to use an MHL adapter to use it for HDMI out via the micro USB. This method works for most high end Android phones and tablets AFAIK.

shrox
07-09-2012, 11:36 AM
I think that's the real draw of these manufacturers when you by their products. You don't only buy the physical hardware but the accompanying ecosystem. Amazon for the Kindle Fire, iTunes store for the iPad, Google Play Store for Android tablets, etc. That said, I find the Android ecosystem the most "open" so to speak, as it's really easy to sideload apps, add pictures and videos to the device without going through a 'channel' like itunes. This works better for some, but I guess not for me.

It's not confirmed though, but the Nexus should be able to use an MHL adapter to use it for HDMI out via the micro USB. This method works for most high end Android phones and tablets AFAIK.

You can transfer certain file formats to the Fire, I am using it to show and view mp4s, and check email and the web, I don't care about the other stuff. $200 and I am happy with it. I even post here!

geo_n
07-09-2012, 02:00 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-VMXIl9goByc/T_hmGrIhj8I/AAAAAAAADCM/vazO3qrJACw/s400/IMG_0860b.jpg

I like Ios better than android devices even if its somewhat a closed ecosystem. Its more stable and less buggy. My only problem with it is the lack of plugin devices. The Iphone 5 will also make my current accessories obsolete.

Can you play those farmville type games on the kindle fire? I think you have to root it. What I love about the android is the price with all the companies bringing out their own the competition is driving prices down. I like the smaller tablets too. Can't believe sub 100USD and I can play those farmville type games without the thing lagging. Plays 1080p videos directly to an ledtv via hdmi. Some of the new ones have IPS screens at a third of the price of an Ipad 2.

ken_g9
07-09-2012, 06:10 PM
@shrox - That's good to hear. One question though. Can you sideload the Google Play Store apk file to have the Play Store as well. I find the Amazon app store a bit limited.

@geo - I think iOS is stable and less buggy because of it's closed nature. Since the Apple closely monitors apps submitted to the app store, it will be less likely to have a rogue app that acts up and cause stability issues. Likewise in Android, if you are not careful with apps downloaded, it can cause issues with the device (like draining the battery). I guess each has it's pros and cons and I find this interesting as it is very similar to Windows vs Mac for me. What I find interesting though, is Microsoft is taking the more 'closed' route this time around.

You might find the 7" iPad rumor compelling. If this turns out true, it might fall at around $300, right in between the $200 iPod Touch and the $400 iPad 2. :D

Silkrooster
07-09-2012, 11:10 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-VMXIl9goByc/T_hmGrIhj8I/AAAAAAAADCM/vazO3qrJACw/s400/IMG_0860b.jpg

I like Ios better than android devices even if its somewhat a closed ecosystem. Its more stable and less buggy. My only problem with it is the lack of plugin devices. The Iphone 5 will also make my current accessories obsolete.

Can you play those farmville type games on the kindle fire? I think you have to root it. What I love about the android is the price with all the companies bringing out their own the competition is driving prices down. I like the smaller tablets too. Can't believe sub 100USD and I can play those farmville type games without the thing lagging. Plays 1080p videos directly to an ledtv via hdmi. Some of the new ones have IPS screens at a third of the price of an Ipad 2.
Farmville plays just fine. It has a mobile version. Castleville is web only and therefore runs way too slow on the fire. Cityville also has a mobile version that runs fine on the fire.

geo_n
07-09-2012, 11:21 PM
7inch Ipad!! Oooh very interesting!

The farmville express sucks. There's nothing to see there. The only reason I play these games is to see the little 2d sprites move around. Like watching an aquarium while waiting for renders. :D

Silkrooster
07-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Yep, would love to see more action, in the express version, but it does make it fairly quick for taking care of the crops.
My biggest complain is the amount of {programming}bugs that pop up every little while.

geo_n
08-13-2012, 11:15 PM
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Google-Nexus-7-vs-Amazon-Kindle-Fire_id3096

The Ipad mini seems to be confirmed since Apple is killing samsung thru lawsuits and banning sales of samsung tab 7 in some countries. Dirty dirty apple.

Ernest
08-14-2012, 01:29 AM
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Google-Nexus-7-vs-Amazon-Kindle-Fire_id3096

The Ipad mini seems to be confirmed since Apple is killing samsung thru lawsuits and banning sales of samsung tab 7 in some countries. Dirty dirty apple.

Well, they deserve it; you have to admit that inventing the rectangle is pretty major!

Red_Oddity
08-14-2012, 03:40 AM
Well, they deserve it; you have to admit that inventing the rectangle is pretty major!

Whoa whoa whoa there, rectangle with rounded corners, this is Ive we're talking about :D

I just wish the Nook with Glowlight wasn't such a walled garden (PDF only?, really guys?) and not a useless paperweight outside of the US.

shrox
08-14-2012, 10:57 AM
I don't use apps really. I just use it to play videos, check email, post here, etc. Still pretty happy with it.

rcallicotte
08-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Kindle Fire is very nice. Good for reading, too.

Verlon
08-15-2012, 04:55 AM
I had two Sony e-ink devices and neither one would turn pages fast enough for my reading habit. My iPad has been wonderful.

It has the advantage of playing videos/music and color pictures. It is not bad at all for games. I would love LW for IOS just to try the interface (but not bad enough to take away from other development).

shrox
08-15-2012, 10:46 AM
To me, tablets a just too small to bother trying working on.

geo_n
08-15-2012, 11:01 PM
To me, tablets a just too small to bother trying working on.

I'm finding my android tablet more useful than my ipad in recent testing.
I took a usb hub with kb and mouse and plugged it to my android tabs OTG usb. Output to hdmi lcd and voila, I have a super mini android based desktop. :D
Anyone know a photoeditor with layers for android? Or even a video editor even as limited as window movie maker?

ShadowMystic
08-16-2012, 12:16 AM
I'm finding my android tablet more useful than my ipad in recent testing.
I took a usb hub with kb and mouse and plugged it to my android tabs OTG usb. Output to hdmi lcd and voila, I have a super mini android based desktop. :D
Anyone know a photoeditor with layers for android? Or even a video editor even as limited as window movie maker?

What adroid tablet you using? I'm looking at getting the same set up. Or waitinf for upgrade to get a droid with HDMI out. Haven't decided yet.

geo_n
08-16-2012, 02:34 AM
What adroid tablet you using? I'm looking at getting the same set up. Or waitinf for upgrade to get a droid with HDMI out. Haven't decided yet.

The good thing with android devices is so many OEM to choose from. This one I got.
http://lsk-shop.ru/description.php?id=7411