PDA

View Full Version : AE CS6 --> LW 11 3D camera

Dillon
07-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Hello,

Long time member, and turned silent after LW 8. Last version I owned was LW7. I've decided to take the plunge and upgrade to LW 11. I'm testing out workflows and am surprised to see that there is no current way to import CS6 3D camera data into LW? C4D does.

I'm familiar with AE Link, but it goes from LW to AE, and not the other way around.

Any word on when this utility will be available? Is newtek working on one? Does one exist already that I haven't found yet?

Thanks for your input!

Dillon ('waving since 1997)

chriz
07-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Now that After Effects is a viable 3D tracking solution, I also hope someone provides an affordable two way setup. AELink is great; maybe in an upgrade...

raw-m
07-03-2012, 03:28 AM
http://aenhancers.com/viewtopic.php?t=991

it's old but still works well.

khan973
07-03-2012, 03:44 AM
From what I know AE Link work both ways

juice
07-03-2012, 04:03 AM
I dont know after-fx, but it seems that adobe didnt care about supporting industry standards!!
In Nuke for example, you can import and export fbx, it makes 3D integration very easy to use. You can also track 3D Camera in Nuke, and export it including the pointcloud of the tracking points with fbx to Lightwave.

Dillon
07-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Hey, thanks for sending this along. I did come across it but assumed it didn't work after reading the thread. User error on their part.

I tried it out and its grossly inaccurate. Which is unfortunate. It calculates camera movement, but there's a total mismatch, even when going into camera settings and making sure the focal lengths and frame rates / composition sizes matched.

Oh well.

dwburman
07-03-2012, 11:02 PM
AE Link is pretty fantastic, but only one way at this point.

I just finished a project where I used it to animate the camera flying and tiles flipping over and used AE to fill the tiles with content (duplicated the original tile layer, precomposed it to make a comp, parented the comp to the AE Link layer and turned off the AE Link layer.... I suppose you could try precomposing the AE Link layer and renaming it so the comp is named the same as the plain layer). Why would I go through the hassle of using LW to animate something in AE? Well, working in 3D in AE is a bit painful for me because the UI isn't designed for it, and I can load an audio track in LW and hit play and watch my animation in real time with audio... no need to make a RAM preview or tap out markers using the * key.

I'd love it to be a two-way street so I could start a project in AE, or just bring in tracking data.

ShadowMystic
07-03-2012, 11:27 PM
I dont know after-fx, but it seems that adobe didnt care about supporting industry standards!!
In Nuke for example, you can import and export fbx, it makes 3D integration very easy to use. You can also track 3D Camera in Nuke, and export it including the pointcloud of the tracking points with fbx to Lightwave.

I got my entire production premium suite for a quarter of the price of nuke. I'll let it slide.

djwaterman
07-04-2012, 09:16 AM
I can vouch for this one...

http://www.motion-graphics-exchange.com/after-effects/AE3D-Export-Maya-Max-and-Lightwave/4bff8b4034916

AE3D Export for Maya, Max and Lightwave. Very simple to use and everything matches up all perfect, just like AELink but the other way around.

It works in AE CS5.5 so I'm assuming it will work in version 6.

I've not tried the Mental Fish one below it but that seems a little more work setting up.

raw-m
07-05-2012, 02:17 AM
I tried it out and its grossly inaccurate. Which is unfortunate. It calculates camera movement, but there's a total mismatch, even when going into camera settings and making sure the focal lengths and frame rates / composition sizes matched.

Oh well.

Try keeping all the setting at default (except for selecting Lightwave as the "Export to" option!) and under "Options" unselecting the "Shift the comp centre to zero".

juice
07-05-2012, 02:56 AM
I got my entire production premium suite for a quarter of the price of nuke. I'll let it slide.

... in europe we can do tax deduction, so if you dont invest in your company, you pay the money for the tax for your income to the govern!! It make sense to invest and do tax deduction, so you can grow your production... I think this is also a reason, why many professionals are using the Autodesk subscription, they anyway have to pay tax, and if they have stuff for tax deduction, they pay less tax and get more tools....

littlewaves
07-05-2012, 04:39 AM
I can vouch for this one...

http://www.motion-graphics-exchange.com/after-effects/AE3D-Export-Maya-Max-and-Lightwave/4bff8b4034916

AE3D Export for Maya, Max and Lightwave. Very simple to use and everything matches up all perfect, just like AELink but the other way around.

It works in AE CS5.5 so I'm assuming it will work in version 6.

I've not tried the Mental Fish one below it but that seems a little more work setting up.

isn't this the same one that dillon says doesn't match up correctly?

djwaterman
07-05-2012, 05:04 AM
No, Dillon is referring to something else I think, I can't get into the AEnhancers site to see what it is they are talking about.. Anyway, AE3D exportworks perfectly and matches camera aspect, frame rate and everything you need for pixel perfect workflow between Lightwave and AE. Then use AE link for the other way, you have everything covered.
Did I mention it's free, try it and see. Some people don't take into account that AE starts it's timeline at frame 0, so they think somethings out of alignment, just shift things one frame and everything matches up.

littlewaves
07-05-2012, 05:30 AM
I just downlaoded and opened both scripts and I'm afraid they're identical so I guess Dillon has come accross some issues that you've fortunately not experienced or else there's a version compatibility issue. Or it's just the "one frame out" thing you detail above.

Oh well. can't try it myself right now anyway. Sounds like you're having success with it though

djwaterman
07-05-2012, 06:23 AM
Maybe it doesn't work with CS6, I used it on many shots with complicated camera moves, lengthy shots, twisting rotations and the like, no problems what so ever in version CS5.5. He could try the Mental Fish one, I think that works both ways.

When he finds his solution I hope he tells us what it was.

djwaterman
07-05-2012, 08:45 AM
I though I better test it out again before singing it's praises too much. It does work, I couldn't get it not to work. It's not grossly inaccurate and translated my AE scene into a lightwave scene with correct frame rate, aspect ratio and camera settings and motion, it put null objects in place of the AE solids. I attached the render test. The yellow boxes are Lightwave boxes and the green planes are After Effects solids. Remember After Effects start it's frame count at zero, so when you render out the Lightwave scene it has to start at Zero as well. When you bring your lightwave render back into AE, make sure to interpret the footage correctly to keep the frame rate to what ever it is meant to be.

Just for anyone who wants to try this script, because I got confused using it again for the first time in a while. When you execute it, it saves out a LWS to your desk top, it took me a while to realize it was doing this and wasn't able to find the "text" file that I thought it was spitting out.

geo_n
07-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Would be great if vfxwizard updated AElink with the other features mentioned before like simple passes output to AE.
Two way link would also be nice.

Dillon
07-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Actually, AE3D *IS* the one I'm talking about. On CS6.

I'm using AE's 3D camera tracker to create the camera track and then attempting to export the created camera data from the 3D track as a LW scene. Tried many options. Slippy and sliding all over the place. Worst output of any tracker I've ever used (and I've used pretty much all of them).

Even reset start frame of the BG video to 0, and 1, checked frame rates (29.97 vs 30), lens (17mm), etc etc. I'll make a couple more attempts but I don't think AE3D plays nice with AE's new 3D tracker in CS6.

Which is too bad, because, for me - this would be the ultimate work flow. And with AElink working one way in the opposite direction! So close!

No, Dillon is referring to something else I think, I can't get into the AEnhancers site to see what it is they are talking about.. Anyway, AE3D exportworks perfectly and matches camera aspect, frame rate and everything you need for pixel perfect workflow between Lightwave and AE. Then use AE link for the other way, you have everything covered.
Did I mention it's free, try it and see. Some people don't take into account that AE starts it's timeline at frame 0, so they think somethings out of alignment, just shift things one frame and everything matches up.

raw-m
07-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Yes, I've been playing with CS6 new tracker. Although it's useful within After Effects I'm not convinced in a 3D workflow like this, I can see why you'd have trouble getting the data to follow through. I think synthEyes and others would be a better bet.

Dillon
07-05-2012, 04:18 PM
It seems that the 3D camera tracker works splendidly inside C4D - course, C4D has its own dedicated plugin to extract AE 3D camera data.....

And the 3D camera tracker in AE is PHENOMENAL!

Yes, I've been playing with CS6 new tracker. Although it's useful within After Effects I'm not convinced in a 3D workflow like this, I can see why you'd have trouble getting the data to follow through. I think synthEyes and others would be a better bet.

djwaterman
07-05-2012, 05:21 PM
I was at a friends studio yesterday who has CS6 and we played around with the camera tracker. It seems to have a few limitations with the one test we did, okay for simple things, but we got sliding in our shot. I didn't really look at how the camera data was executed, but it must not work well with the AE3D export script as you say. Does a tracked comp created in version 6 open up in version 5.5? Probably not. If you find a solution let us know.

raw-m
07-05-2012, 11:52 PM
It seems that the 3D camera tracker works splendidly inside C4D - course, C4D has its own dedicated plugin to extract AE 3D camera data.....

Good to know and agree it's a great addition. In my testing, X and Y seemed OK but if I looked at the points in Custom View I wasn't getting any accurate kind of Z-depth. I'll need to play with it a bit more!

Please post back if your findings!

ivanze
07-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Try this demo:

http://www.clintons3d.com/aecollada/getit.html

It imports and exports Collada from After Effects.

Dillon
07-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Looks interesting but I'm on a mac (the plugin is PC only).

Try this demo:

http://www.clintons3d.com/aecollada/getit.html

It imports and exports Collada from After Effects.

3dworks
07-10-2012, 12:52 PM
did you get the file AE3DExport_cs5.jsx.zip on the last page of the aenhancers thread, right? so, does this not work? just interested in this thing, but not having time to test right now.

cheers

markus

Dillon
07-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks,

I tried the updated one you indicated, and still get the slipping and sliding. I think Ae3D doesn't understand CS6 3D camera tracker very well.

I was hoping to use CS6's new 3D tracker to track and then export AE's tracking mechanism. C4D has the proper script for an apparently beautiful track.

Trying to avoid paying $600 for Syntheyes. :P

did you get the file AE3DExport_cs5.jsx.zip on the last page of the aenhancers thread, right? so, does this not work? just interested in this thing, but not having time to test right now.

cheers

markus

Photogram
07-14-2012, 05:50 PM
:help:

Hello,

I am in big trouble... I actually doing an architectural visualisation. I was planning to use AElink for compositing the shooted peoples. I have some perspective camera and the pixel match is OK, but I have more than half of my scenes with a Shift Camera. In theses cases how can i get the pixel perfect with the after effect camera. Is there a way to tell the after effect camera to shift with my renders. i cannot change these 8 camera and do 8 renders again since it is too late for my deadline. what can i do?

Thanks.

chriz
07-14-2012, 07:50 PM
I just tried that old .jsx on an AE6 camera track, and it works here. Thanks for the find!

Dillon, are your camera and null(s) selected when you run the script? without a null created in 3d space from the tracker, you of course have to way to lock your track to your scene in LW.

dwburman
07-17-2012, 11:13 AM
If you can't figure out how to get AE's camera to match the shift camera, you may be able to just add people on cards (simple clip mapped polys) and render them as a separate pass. You'll have to set all your other objects (buildings, etc) to matte objects. It shouldn't take too long to render just the cards since you'll only need AA and maybe shadows.

:help:

Hello,

I am in big trouble... I actually doing an architectural visualisation. I was planning to use AElink for compositing the shooted peoples. I have some perspective camera and the pixel match is OK, but I have more than half of my scenes with a Shift Camera. In theses cases how can i get the pixel perfect with the after effect camera. Is there a way to tell the after effect camera to shift with my renders. i cannot change these 8 camera and do 8 renders again since it is too late for my deadline. what can i do?

Thanks.

Dillon
07-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Adding a 3D null object as a layer in AE composition doesn't improve the export at all (just tried, and didn't think so). Same deal (slipping and sliding everywhere) but now I have an additional null (that is also slipping and sliding everywhere).

Thanks

Dillon

I just tried that old .jsx on an AE6 camera track, and it works here. Thanks for the find!

Dillon, are your camera and null(s) selected when you run the script? without a null created in 3d space from the tracker, you of course have to way to lock your track to your scene in LW.

3dworks
07-17-2012, 05:08 PM
sorry if maybe repeating, didn't follow the entire thread, but did anyone try this script:

http://www.stephenglover.info/export-3d-from-after-effects-to-maya/

if you read the last line, apparently it should be LW compatible as well, or maybe someone can have a look at the script to adapt it?

djwaterman
07-18-2012, 09:52 AM
It's the same one that's not working for him.

Dillon
07-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Well, well, well.

It appears 11.5 has After Effects integration, with verbage at the 11.5 website saying I/O back and forth between LW and AE, with AE's camera tracker. I'm crossing my fingers! Wee!

dizez
11-11-2013, 03:59 PM
I know this is old thread, but I found it when I was looking for a solution with the AE3D export script between CS6 and Lightwave 10.1. I was having the same problem Dillon was, then I realized it was cause the camera and null that After Effects created were in odd positions and rotations, so it was just a matter of parenting the camera to the null and setting the null to 0,0,0.

http://youtu.be/TKrY6bGQzrI