PDA

View Full Version : "File Name Warning - C:\Program" a very simple solution that's Hub related!

inkpen3d
07-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Hi guys,

I thought it would be a good idea to share this experience with you as it caught me out and it took some time to get to the bottom of what was causing the problem...

For sometime now I've been getting a Windows warning message pop-up when I log into my desktop:
"File Name Warning
There is a file or folder on your computer called "C:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "C:\Program1" would solve this problem. Would you like to rename it now?"

Nothing obvious happened if I told the system to rename the file and, if instead I deleted it, nothing drastic seemed to happen - at least until next time I logged in and then the message would pop up again!

Had some malware or virus somehow infected my system? It seemed unlikely as I have security tighter than a duck's rear-end! But you can never be sure of anything nowadays, so I decided to get to the bottom (excuse pun) of the problem.

I started off by examining the contents of this rogue "Program" file and discovered that it was in fact a Hub CFG file - what on earth was it doing there?

Now that I knew it was Hub related, a few oddities in the previous behaviour of LW that, at the time, had seemed totally unconnected to this "Program" file began to make sense:

[I now noticed that] whenever I deleted the "Program" file, Layout would start up as though freshly installed, and the Hub would refuse to start. Strangely though, Modeler was okay.

When the Hub was closed down the "C:\Program" file would get written.

I also noticed that CFG files were ending up on the top-level of the C-drive instead of in the "support\configs" sub-directory.

On subsequent start-ups of Layout the Hub would fire up, but if I examined its "Launch Process=>LWLayout" settings, the two paths following that for the Layout executable would be set to C:\ (see attached screenshot). BTW, as soon as Modeler launched it's LWModeler settings in the Hub would be correct with the two paths set to the location of the "configs" folder I had set in the short-cut used to launch Modeler.

After much fruitless digging around in the CFG files, etc. I suddenly twigged where the source of the problem lay (okay, you young-guns have probably guessed it way before now). Namely, that problem was with the string in the Layout short-cut pointing to the location of the "configs" sub-directory: When modifying the Layout short-cut to point to the "configs" sub-directory I was going to use, I had inadvertently missed out, or accidentally deleted, the beginning double-quote of the path string after the -c, so it looked like "...Layout.exe" -cC:\Program Files..." (i.e. instead of "...Layout.exe" -c"C:\Program Files...").

Having fixed the path in the Layout short-cut and deleted all the CFG files AND the rogue "Program" file lurking both at the top-level of the C-drive, as well as those CFG files in the "suuport\configs" sub-directory, I started up Layout...

And everything worked fine - the Hub started and I could launch Modeler from Layout and the Hub "Launch Process" settings were as you would expect them to be.

So, the moral of this story is: If you ever get Windows complaining about a file "C:\Program" and you've just installed/reinstalled a new version of LW, check your paths in the short-cuts to Modeler or Layout!

Hope that helps someone!

Regards,
Peter

BeeVee
07-02-2012, 02:34 PM
All the more reason to just install LightWave to the C:\Newtek\ folder... :D

B

inkpen3d
07-02-2012, 02:56 PM
all the more reason to just install lightwave to the c:\newtek\ folder... :d

b

lol :)