PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request - Instance MIRROR

silviotoledo
07-02-2012, 04:37 AM
Hability to instance a mirror image of the original instanced object.

This will save memory when modeling heavy buildings, homes and others.

We just will model half of everything and instance the other half part.

Would negative STRETCH value on "X" axis do the same?

silviotoledo
07-02-2012, 04:45 AM
Just finish posting and this idea came.

Yeah! -100% stretch value on "X" axis does mirror the model.

So I think this is a good "TIP".

Anyway a mirror button on Instance would also be welcome onde it saves memory. What COPY does not.

Lewis
07-02-2012, 06:56 AM
For that to work properly they'll probably need to add modeling into layout or instancing in modeler i.e. probably needs to be waited for integration ;). also ther ei goes question on how to weld points (to avoid seam or light leak) on instanced half.

Tobian
07-02-2012, 08:57 AM
An instancing mirror which also respects smoothing, otherwise you will get a smoothing seam down the middle, which doesn't look nice, and you can't always mitigate it. However yes, Lewis, instances really need to be in Modeler to be funny useful for me: For one it would save a lot of memory and speed up the modeler interface if not all the geometry is real! :)

silviotoledo
07-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Yeah! instancing in modeler would be too usefull. Hope this will be possible soon.

and yeah with smooth connection in the middle.

deg
08-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Create a null, add an instance of your object to it and then set the scale of the null to -1 on the X. Voila, mirrored instance. :)

ShadowMystic
08-27-2012, 11:37 PM
What if you model 51% and have a gradient transparency blend them?

DogBoy
08-28-2012, 01:58 AM
However yes, Lewis, instances really need to be in Modeler to be funny useful for me: For one it would save a lot of memory and speed up the modeler interface if not all the geometry is real! :)

I agree, which is why I'm really surprised (in a bad way) about the Place Mesh tool in 11.5: why isn't it an instance placement tool, instead of a geometry placement tool? It is a step backwards, after getting instances into LightWave finally, that you then make a tool that doesn't leverage that ability.

ShadowMystic
08-28-2012, 08:09 AM
I agree, which is why I'm really surprised (in a bad way) about the Place Mesh tool in 11.5: why isn't it an instance placement tool, instead of a geometry placement tool? It is a step backwards, after getting instances into LightWave finally, that you then make a tool that doesn't leverage that ability.

I wonder if a tool could be developed by Newtek or third part that tells the place mesh tool to write that it is an instance via a powergon? Idk the extent of powergons usefulness however. Just being contemplative.

Tobian
08-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Well since they seem to have been working on powergons aka Genoma, and since they have this mesh placing tool, then yeah, it could well be possible to make instance placing tools in Modeler. However TBH it's of limited use because unless you can SEE what you are doing it's not that useful. At least with Genoma/Skelegons, you can see roughly what it's doing, but with instances really you need to see what it's doing to see if it's right, and for teeny tiny instances, well the points would be a bit meaningless.

As for the mirror trick using a gradient.. No, that sounds like it wouldn't work because you'd get co-planar rendering errors.