PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #178 - Leonardo da Vinci

JoePoe
06-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge #178 - Leonardo da Vinci

Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave must be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's .

This week's topic is: Leonardo da Vinci

The Master!

Model one of Leonardo's inventions or gizmos (airplane, helicopter, parachute, tank, crossbow, catapult, etc, etc, etc........).
Or possibly even a part of one of his anatomical study sketches or other drawings.
Some of the stuff has a lot of pieces, so.... 90 minutes.

Time limit: 90 minutes
Deadline: Wed. 4th July 2012. 22:00 G.M.T. (might be a little tough for those in the US 8~)

Iain
07-02-2012, 02:19 PM
One of his better ones :hey:
5 minutes of modelling.................

JoePoe
07-02-2012, 03:50 PM
lol
Iain, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask to see some wires on this one! :D

JoePoe
07-02-2012, 09:05 PM
@ 1.5 hr.
Bit off a little more than I could gestate.

Maybe I'll try something different before putting more time into this one.:grumpy:

XswampyX
07-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Less than an hour for this one.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/LastSupperSmall.jpg

I didn't read the instructions at the top.

JoePoe
07-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Nice XswampyX!

Man, I really thought people would like this one. :stumped:
Just goes to show....

Anyway, 1.5 hrs.
Leonardo's Helicopter

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s395/joepoe1/leonardohelicopter2.jpg

Iain
07-05-2012, 02:06 AM
Man, I really thought people would like this one. :stumped:
Just goes to show....

Joe, two things:
1: at Christmas and Summertime (I'm on holiday just now for one), interest in these things are generally very low and,
2: we did the same topic before.
So, dont fret it. We could carry it to next week but sometimes, the more complex subjects don't pull in a crowd :)

Great model btw :thumbsup:

JoePoe
07-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Iain,

Firstly, and most importantly, hope you are having a great holiday!!

Secondly, no fretting here, I was more curious than anything - your comments are well taken.
(before posting the challenge I did do a quick search through the past sticky thread in the top section and didn't see a similar topic... will try to be more thorough).

No need to carry to next week. I'll think of something.... :)

JoePoe
07-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Hope everyone had a good European Championship (congrats to Spain condolences to everyone else) and a good 4th!

Without any further ado.....

Winner - XswampyX :D Excellent job as usual!
(I am curious on what you used to get the fine crosshatch on the surfacing.)

Next challenge will be up soon.....

Amurrell
07-05-2012, 11:14 AM
The holiday killed me for this one. Right about the 90min mark here. Too bad I was too late. Still needs work.

The perpetual motion machine.

Iain
07-05-2012, 12:42 PM
(before posting the challenge I did do a quick search through the past sticky thread in the top section and didn't see a similar topic... will try to be more thorough).

Unfortunately the list hasnt been updated for many months so its nigh on impossible to check the previous topics :help:

Congrats xswampyx :thumbsup:

XswampyX
07-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks JoePoe & Iain. Love the helli. Some topics fly, and some don't. :D

The x-Hatch was made with four different x-hatch images, blended together via a gradient node attached to the occlusion shader.

JoePoe
07-05-2012, 05:35 PM
XswampyX - thanks for the node breakdown! I'm working on my own Leonardo crosshatch recipe, but my rendering capabilities at the moment are a bit hobbled. And you're right, that helicopter ;) is going nowhere. Maybe it would have been more fitting to use it's actual name "The Aerial Screw" :D.

Amurrell - good job on the PM machine. I like the spokes fitting in like puzzle pieces.

Iain - I'd be happy to help. Active forums only go back five pages. #173 is about to fall off into oblivion. What can we do? Seriously, pm me (different pm than Amurrell's render) if you think I can help out.

Iain
07-06-2012, 04:04 AM
Iain - I'd be happy to help. Active forums only go back five pages. #173 is about to fall off into oblivion. What can we do? Seriously, pm me (different pm than Amurrell's render) if you think I can help out.

Thanks but we don't have any control over these things as members. Despite the continual popularity of the speed modelling challenges, with an average 1000+ views every week, Newtek has not really accomodated us at all.
A couple of mods tried to help out - BeeVee started the sticky and compiled the list for awhile and that job was taken over by a couple of marketing people who briefly tried to improve things.

Then, we were on our own. No system to highlight the current challenge or any of the great work done.
I became disillusioned by the whole thing a long time ago as its an opportunity missed; a lot of our quicky renders here are better than 80% of the gallery entries.
We get a new Forum every now and then that is utterly pointless yet any efforts to have a dedicated SMC one have failed.

Its the old problem we've always faced and it'll never change.

colkai
07-06-2012, 05:04 AM
Alas Iain, you're not wrong, it is, as you say, and old and ongoing problem and no change of the "driving force" seems to make one iota of difference. :(