PDA

View Full Version : Did you like Prometheus?

erikals
06-29-2012, 10:10 AM
 
i'm curious :]

 

-EsHrA-
06-29-2012, 10:31 AM
i liked it yes purely as entertainment but
it doesnt even stand in the shadow of 'alien'.

mlon

Chuck
06-29-2012, 11:23 AM
I loved the visuals, loved a lot of the ideas it seemed to want to be exploring, but the characters and their choices were just hugely frustratingly wrong, both unprofessional and unintelligent - clearly not meant to be believable people, just puppets in the service of set of themes and a sequence of events that misses being a real plot and story by a considerable distance. And yet, I still want to see it again. :)

wibly wobly
06-29-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm with Chuck. I wanted to like it. I liked things in it but, the script and characters ultimately ruined it for me. If the movie was trying to be bad, I could have totally gone with it but, when you're trying to be serious and there's that many problems, I can't check my brain at the door. So much potential lost.

edited for the link

pretty scathing review
http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2012/06/11/review-prometheus-is-a-visually-stunning-epic-failure/

shrox
06-29-2012, 01:02 PM
I don't know yet, when does the disc come out?

erikals
06-29-2012, 01:10 PM
pretty scathing review
http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2012/06/11/review-prometheus-is-a-visually-stunning-epic-failure/

"Where Scott & Co. have innovated on these stolen ideas is by making their characters — who are all bizarrely unfazed by the philosophical weight of their mission and discoveries — do ridiculously dumb things. When they see black alien ooze, they touch it. When they find a giant severed alien head, they bring it on the ship and perform inexplicable experiments on it in an open environment with no protective clothing. When the answers Charlie seeks are not immediately offered by the alien temple — which would be an earth-shattering discovery in its own right — he foregoes further inquiry and gets drunk. When members of the science team are lost in a gigantic, danger-filled alien structure, the mission leaders all go have sex. When a giant wheel-shaped object is rolling toward a couple of characters, they don’t run right or left, but stay directly in its path, like the security guard and the steamroller in Austin Powers. There isn’t a moment in the film where the human characters do something that humans would actually do, and the laughter of the audience in the screening I saw confirmed this."

yeah, i know, not sure what Ridley was thinking in some places...
marked what i thought was the most clumsy in pink...

+ "oh, look, a snake-creature, let's touch it... "

we, the audience, already know how dangerous these creatures are, but Ridley doesn't seem to want to take that into account, and makes the characters do dumb things instead.

+ Charlie should've just taken the helmet off, not fry himself to death... (by Vickers) i mean, who would want to do that?

+ why did the engineers decide to destroy humans using aliens? why not just use a plague?

+ why 3 people chose to crash the ship, when barely two were needed?

"We share DNA in common with everything on our planet, like 98% of our DNA with a LION. Plus they had DNA go into a stream, not like, a body. Did they create life (in general) and we’re just one of the species that evolved from it?"
(so, create life on earth, make it end up having the same DNA as the engineers, (and 99%) monkeys, hmm...)

i still liked it, but why these obvious mistakes (?!)
even if Ridley can blame this on mid-range writers like Damon Lindelof (Cowboys & Aliens) and Jon Spaihts (The Darkest Hour) it still raises the question > didn't he notice?...

 

Cageman
06-29-2012, 01:17 PM
When they see black alien ooze, they touch it. 

Not to argue here about the questionmarks regarding some of the characters acting extremely stupid... but... who is touching the goo except for David (the Android)?

erikals
06-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Cageman,

agree, i don't think that was the worst one...

 

Kaptive
06-29-2012, 02:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0&feature=g-user-u
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0&feature=g-user-u)
This is a good break down :)

Kuzey
06-29-2012, 02:21 PM
I think I'll pass on this...but why are the engineers sooooooo muscle bound...they look like bone heads instead of intelligent lifeforms?

Kuzey

erikals
06-29-2012, 02:35 PM
i thought of that too... it could be explained be the nature of the evolution on that planet, things grow in seconds instead of months, which could lead to a species (engineers) that had high intelligence but still behaved clumsy in some ways.

but this leaves to other questions / problems,
would a specie like that really be that interested in creating life on earth?
would they be able to cooperate well?
wouldn't they soon figure out that taking risks is dangerous?
(+more)

a lot of holes, or at least questionable hypothesis-es, but still, this movie does give a good twist to things...

 

Cageman
06-29-2012, 02:44 PM
There is allready a thread about this though... Not sure if this one should derail into a discussion like what is in the other thread.

:)

Kuzey
06-29-2012, 02:54 PM
From the images I saw..they look like they were plucked straight out from the Terminator world.

Also, if the space jockey is a suit...how can the engineers fit with all those muscles....Mmmmm

Kuzey

Kuzey
06-29-2012, 03:00 PM
There is allready a thread about this though... Not sure if this one should derail into a discussion like what is in the other thread.

:)

Oops..just popped into my head as I was reading the comments here in this thread. Anyway..all threads get derailed within 5 posts or less :)

Kuzey

T-Light
06-29-2012, 04:19 PM
54 seconds long and sums up the movie beautifully...
(Spoiler alert)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o06VfRaoTj8&feature=relmfu

erikals
06-29-2012, 04:25 PM
 
that's an interesting scene though, the way he strokes his head for then to kill him...

like, i love you, but i'm sorry i have to kill you... raises questions...

 

T-Light
06-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Erikals -

raises questions...
Indeed, like why on Earth did Ridley Scott accept this script?

I had a serious concern in the back of my mind before I saw the movie. That concern was 'Numbers', one of Ridley and Tony's (Scott Free) TV productions.

Example for those who are lucky enough not to have seen it.

FBI are called to a Hospital where there has been an outbreak of some deadly disease. FBI head honcho looks on as a few people stagger out of the doors. She says, in spectacularly dire 'Promethean' fashion...
"OH MY GOD, SOMEBODY, CALL A MATHEMATICIAN!" :D

Dreadfull.

djwaterman
06-30-2012, 12:53 AM
Indeed, tis like a puzzle this film, every time my mind wanders back over it I unlock yet more of it's failings. There seems no end to them. I'm surprised by the poll results so far.

Kuzey
06-30-2012, 03:47 AM
54 seconds long and sums up the movie beautifully...
(Spoiler alert)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o06VfRaoTj8&feature=relmfu

Haha...the visual quality of that clip, makes it look like an Ed Wood film & all retro like..kinda fascinating :D

Kuzey

bobakabob
06-30-2012, 03:57 AM
Despite the failings of the script, awful characterisation and surprisingly weak alien designs (Hammerpede?!) Prometheus is still worthy and intelligent sci fi. We need more films like this. There's such a sad dearth of grown up sci fi - District 9 was the last and most original in years. Scott's forte is building believable epic worlds you can lose yourself in and in its finest moments Prometheus evoked a sense of wonder up there with Bladerunner. The enigma surrounding David's characterisation also elevated the film above the usual popcorn space romps posing as si fi dominating Hollywood. Bring on the sequel :D

T-Light
06-30-2012, 08:47 AM
bobakabob-

Prometheus is still worthy and intelligent sci fi
Ok, but only if we're comparing it to 'Transformers - Dark of the Moon'.

I think what's really annoyed me is this is the first film in many years I REALLY wanted to see. A first rate cast and Ridley Scott, back into Sci-Fi for the first time in decades. I haven't been to the cinema in years but I made the exception for this. I watched Alien a week before we went, I thought if the visuals are half as good and the script a quarter as polished, it would still be great.

What a HUGE dissapointment. The Muppets 'Pigs in Space' was more convincing.

1st Major shock: Team biologist to team geologist
"Hello"
"F*** Off, I'm here for the money, not here to make friends"
2nd Major shock: Introduction of the captain, Joint in his mouth setting up a christmas tree!
(BY this point I was thinking chr*st the characters are worse than 'Aliens')
3rd and final killer: Out walks hologram Guy Pearce wearing an old man mask He bought off Ebay.
At that point, If I wasn't there with other people, I might have walked.

T-Light
06-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Kuzey -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o06Vf...feature=relmfu

Haha...the visual quality of that clip, makes it look like an Ed Wood film & all retro like..kinda fascinating

It's bizarre. That clip has two things missing from the actual film.
1) Accurate presentation of information.
2) Understandable and acceptable response.

How is it that a widely panned writer of the last season of 'Lost' got a gig on a $100,000,000 sci-fi film?

bobakabob
06-30-2012, 09:39 AM
I don't think it's as bad as you make out. Prometheus has its share of cringe inducing moments but then in Alien there's all the fuss over the bleedin' ship's cat. Dwell on that too much and the whole magnificent edifice of the movie falls apart. In Prometheus there are some strong scenes, the star chamber especially and virtually every sequence featuring Fassbender. Prometheus is a worthy failure and hopefully the sequel will be the epic we were all waiting for.

gravin
06-30-2012, 09:50 AM
 
that's an interesting scene though, the way he strokes his head for then to kill him...

like, i love you, but i'm sorry i have to kill you... raises questions...

 

I took it more as a creator seeing his creations creation, or just seeing his creation in a more evolved state. Not sure that he would have known that David was an android so it's difficult to say which. I think it was implied that the Engineer had been in hypersleep for quite some time so he was probably unaware of how evolved Humans had become. So at first he was in awe of his creation then for whatever unexplained reason he remembered that he hated or feared Humanity and needed to kill us all. That last part is what didn't make sense to me...

erikals
06-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Out walks hologram Guy Pearce wearing an old man mask he bought off Ebay.

this surprised me too, either work more on that mask, or simpler, just get an old actor... why not just use an old actor? you could hardly see it was Pearce anyway... 

but i agree with Robert, despite the big falls, we need movies like this.

 

T-Light
06-30-2012, 01:12 PM
bobakabob -

but then in Alien there's all the fuss over the bleedin' ship's cat
But people do that, people die trying to save their pets. It happens. Although I do get your point.

On the other hand, Prometheus is full of stuff that's highly unlikely to happen.
Synopsis:
5 cave paintings are found over many hundreds of years with a tall figure pointing to 5 splotches. A 6th set of splotches is found by a total nutjob who leaps to an extroadinary conclusion that the figure represents an alien race that spawned life on our planet, more, the splotches represent the aliens home world. Where She got all this from is beyond me. Luckily, before She has Her academic carreer chuckled into oblivion, A rich chap with a face he bought on Ebay throws a whopping One Trillion dollars at her madcap hypothesis and gathers together the biggest group of unproffesional sterotypes you can imagine with predicatably hillarious results.

Sorry chaps, I didn't watch this as I would any other movie, it had more riding on it for me and I'm not letting Ridley Scott off the hook.

It's not Phantom Menace but for me, it's not far short.

In other News, I'll be watching "Prince of Persia" in an hour or so. Before you start throwing sharp objects in my general direction, it was that or "Alvin and the Chipmunks".

T-Light
06-30-2012, 01:23 PM
erikals -

this surprised me too, either work more on that mask, or simpler, just get an old actor... why not just use an old actor?
Exactly, how much gravitas would that have added rather than removed.

Two solid choices
Ian Holm (for more than one reason)
Armin Mueller-Stahl (who is amazing in everything)

Edit - Ian Home, alright they've covered this sort of ground before, but, He is terrific.

GregMalick
06-30-2012, 07:10 PM
What is very surprising is that many (at first) like the artistry of the film.
What really set apart Ridley Scott's work in Alien & Blade Runner was the refreshingly new design work. It was jaw dropping. He should have found another awesome brave artist to awe us with shocking designs. Instead Prometheus is a rehash of Giger's work & The Thing and dozens of other sci-fi films. The more I think back on the film, the less I like it.

I'll assume that wasn't Ridley Scott's intent.
:foreheads

IgnusFast
06-30-2012, 08:40 PM
I still would have liked it better if the Engineers were actually elephantine, and not wearing pointless folding helmets as in Prometheus. Was the petal-face-mask supposed to resemble the Alien egg flaps opening? Either way, they could have had cool aliens still be our progenitors, and they wimped out.

But I still enjoyed the movie. :)

dickbill
06-30-2012, 09:03 PM
My opinion is that if you invest millions of dollars in visuals effects, you should invest in the script as well and go through every part of it, looking for inconsistances.
I take for example the last Tintin. If the script had been a carbon copy of the original books, written before and after the war, that would have been a disaster. Instead, they have made a perfect adaptation that is understandable by modern standards and therefore they have, sometimes, departed from the books. Nonetheless, the 2012 Tintin is faithfull to the tintin spirit and therefore it's a A+ for the visuals and A+ for the script, i. e. it's a masterpiece.
So big cg doesn't have to mean poor script.

erikals
06-30-2012, 09:13 PM
  
if you want a good movie that happens out in space, buy some popcorn and go watch "Moon" :]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twuScTcDP_Q

  

shrox
06-30-2012, 09:20 PM
  
if you want a good movie that happens out in space, buy some popcorn and go watch "Moon" :]

  

It's very good movie.

jasonwestmas
10-11-2012, 06:34 PM
I'd be cranky too. Maybe they should of offered the engineer some coffee.

jasonwestmas
10-11-2012, 06:38 PM
  

  

Moon was alright but it was too predictable. I felt like I saw it before because. . .I'm sure others know why so I won't ruin it. Even the trailer there gives it away, the mystery is that thin.

erikals
10-12-2012, 06:41 AM
yeah, it had it's issues, it was good to see a cold out in space movie again though.

Matelot13
10-13-2012, 04:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0&hd=1

Digital Hermit
10-14-2012, 11:05 AM
I'd be cranky too. Maybe they should of offered the engineer some coffee.

HA! Too funny!

It falls into the order of Alien, Aliens, Pro-meth-eus... the rest of the franchise is crap.

digefxgrp
10-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Finally saw the film on BD. I didn't really like it.

Loved all the design work though...and the epic-size sets that were built.
A lot of awesome craftsmanship went into the project

The hardbound 'Art of' book is real sweet too.

DonJMyers
10-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Individual scenes worked great but made no sense strung together.