PDA

View Full Version : Finally bought Inside Lightwave 7

Fistandantilus
10-26-2003, 09:51 PM
So I have been really interested in learning Lightwave and a few months ago was going to pick up Inside Lightwave 7.Well I finally got around to it,just been busy with some other stuff.I thought that the book was going to be like some of the others,not very big,when I saw it I was like "Holy,This thing is Huge.It's a freakin dictionary."Pretty funny considering the book is about 4 inches thick.Scanned through it and looks to be pretty amazing.Gonna jump into it and start tonight.

Zarathustra
10-30-2003, 05:13 PM
Just in time for [8] :)

dablan
11-07-2003, 02:19 PM
Glad you got the book! Start learning!

Inside LightWave 8 is a completely new book from word one. Inside 7 will still apply to 8, so don't worry.

Inside LW 8 will have many chapters on modeling, texturing, and some surprises as well, freebies, and more.

Stay tuned....

Zach
11-07-2003, 03:32 PM
I'm really glad you're out there making these books, Dan.

You really have a handle on making things clear.

I was just wondering though, Inside LW6 and Inside LW7 were really close to being the same book some ascpects (like the face modelling, compositing) minus the extra 2 inches of width heheeh.

Will Inside LW8 be like the jump from Inside LW(5.5) to Inside LW6 because the software is a completely different version?

Also, will the release of Inside LW8 coincide with the release of LW8? I have all 3 of the Inside LW books, and am anxious to get the next!

Keep up the fantastic work! I'm looking forward to the Killer Tips book coming out too!

dablan
11-07-2003, 03:39 PM
Inside 6 was a new book - we kept the beginning chapters and updated them for 7. Then, made new tutorials.

I've been listening to emails and forums, and the Inside 8 book is completely different from page one. For example, Chapter 1 will have you modeling, using layers, texturing, animating and rendering. The entire book's focus and direction has changed, and is not like the previous at all. It won't be 1200 pages this time :) - More like 800, a little easier to manage while sitting on the toilet. Hehe.

There are at least 5 complete modeling chapters - only two in Inside 7. Much more texturing work. More complex projects, and no 100 page head modeling :) You will model full characters and more.

Dynamics, plug-ins, and more. All covered. Beginners need not worry as we have a brand new fundamentals section for total newbies, or those coming from 5.6.

Lots more to come.

Thanks!

Zach
11-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Alright!

Fistandantilus
11-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Good to hear.BTW dablan when does your new book come out?Just says has not been released at amazon.ca Have to pick this one up as well if I upgrade to 8.I really love yopur book by the way.I could care less if it's 1200 pages or 5000 pages this book kicks butt.Thanks a million Mr Ablan.If it wasn't for your book Lightwave woould still be sittiing on my computer and never being opened.

dablan
11-09-2003, 08:49 PM
Fis -
thanks much!

LightWave 8 Killer Tips will be out in about a month or so.
Inside LightWave 8 will be out in Feb.

Thanks!

a_chisholm
11-13-2003, 07:06 AM
hey dan, i just got inside LW 7 too. That "phil" joke is terrible btw!

Matt
11-13-2003, 07:20 AM
I still need to read though my copy! I nibble little bits every now and again!

Cageman
11-17-2003, 03:37 AM
Cool! A few weeks ago I bought Inside Lightwave 7... really cool book, I got quite a few "Ahhh...so that is how it works!!". Really good work, Dan!

But, I found one thing I donīt understand. In a chapter about rendering, there is a section talking about multiprocessor systems and hypervoxels. To get hypervoxels to render multithread, one should check that it (the hypervoxel) are set to render in multithread. But I canīt find this anywhere... :/

Maybe itīs implemented in the renderengine? :)

dablan
11-17-2003, 06:19 AM
Thanks Cageman -

in the Render Options panel, you can tell LW to render MultiThreaded if you have more than one processor.

This will help, especially when multithreading.

Dan

Cageman
11-17-2003, 02:11 PM
Ok, well... I thought that there was a special setting for getting Hypervoxels to do multithread. :)

Fistandantilus
11-17-2003, 06:16 PM
I'm only on page 213 of this but am loving every minute of it.I may sound very geeky here,but I have actually book marked every single excericise with a little post-it so that when I'm done reading the book I can go over some excericises again.

I've already said this to Dan but thank you for this amazing book.Lightwave would still be on my computer,unopened and not being used, if I had never purchased this book.I couldn't even imagine using Lightwave without Dan's book I would have been lost.Before I actually bought the book I tried Online Tutorials but would get so frustrated not knowing what to.This book is so straight forward an I would highly reccomend this bookto anyone who was willing to try Lightwave.
As for the price of the book,I paid nearly $100 Canadian at Chapters.I thought at first that it was really expensive but,even only being on Chapter 5,I would gladly pay more for this book.I couldn't even begin to tell Dan how much I really appreciate this and it shows that he actually cares about teaching other people on how to use the product.Alot of books out there are so uninformative,just so the author makes a quick buck,not Dan's book he tries to teach you everything possible in the easiest explanation possible.

Fistandantilus
11-17-2003, 06:25 PM
Also just so a few of you know.If you have any problems with the Cd,I did with a few of the link.I realized that the unwrap program is actually on the cd.Doh!!!.I was trying to go to ernies webpage but it kept shooting me to a different webpage.I finally figured out if I had actually explored the CD I would have found it.

BTW there is also an unwrap 2 which you can get at:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/erniew/getstuff/unwrap2.html
It's a different one than what's in Dan's book but I think it's becuase Inside Lightwave 7 isn't a new book anymore.So Ernie's page probably got changed and he's update the program a little.He's also got the original Unwrap on there as well.

Also you can go to Newriders Website and register your ISBN on the back of the book.You can download a file which tells you what typos thier were in the book.Trust me for a book that was 1200 pages there are not very many.Very impressive.

Fistandantilus
11-17-2003, 06:28 PM
Doh!! Double posted by accident.