PDA

View Full Version : VPR+GI in perspective and camera view

Boris Goreta
06-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Why is VPR+GI super fast when moving in perspective view and super slow when moving camera in camera view ?

prometheus
06-29-2012, 10:34 AM
is there really a difference in the render viewports?

I mean if you move rotate in another viewport set to wireframe, but view it in camera view. do not use the same viewport and try to move and rotate within the scene itself, that surely is slower.

But perhaps thatīs not it?

Michael

Boris Goreta
06-29-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't really understand what are you trying to say.

I have one active viewport set to perspective with GI activated and I thumble around the scene, the speed is fantastic.

Then I change this viewport to be a camera viewport and move camera around and VPR updates are really slow.

I mean it's the same thing really, just looking around the scene but for some reason when looking through camera it is much, much slower.

Sensei
06-29-2012, 11:09 AM
You need to place perspective viewport to see exactly the same part of scene with the same distance as camera- then this test will have sense..

Boris Goreta
06-29-2012, 11:20 AM
No I don't, because difference is huuuge no matter what angle. Guys, did you even try this on some scene of yours ?

stiff paper
06-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Maybe the perspective view is a deliberately very simplified version of a camera, and so it's very quick. And maybe when you're using a real camera, because the image has to properly match the final render, the preview has to do much more complex and fuller camera calculations on every frame.

Boris Goreta
06-29-2012, 11:45 AM
No, both views deliver the same output quality, and the camera is a simple perspective camera.

prometheus
06-29-2012, 12:31 PM
I don't really understand what are you trying to say.

I have one active viewport set to perspective with GI activated and I thumble around the scene, the speed is fantastic.

Then I change this viewport to be a camera viewport and move camera around and VPR updates are really slow.

I mean it's the same thing really, just looking around the scene but for some reason when looking through camera it is much, much slower.

I was refering to that I do not know if you try to move the camera around in directly in the camera viewport where you have vpr on, or if you move the camera around in another viewport where you have it set to wireframe or opengl shadig, that is a huge difference.

Boris Goreta
06-29-2012, 01:01 PM
No, I just use 1 viewport with active VPR to move.

prometheus
06-29-2012, 01:04 PM
No, I just use 1 viewport with active VPR to move.

Ehh..this is confusin, you mean you are using the viewport with vpr active to navigate in, and not another viewport?

That is not recomended, no wonder it will be slow.

Michael

Boris Goreta
06-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Prometheus, you are not making any sense. Why is this not recommended ?

prometheus
06-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Prometheus, you are not making any sense. Why is this not recommended ?

It makes sense, after trial and error, moving items in a seperate non vpr activated viewport is faster than trying to do it in the current viewport with VPR on, thatīs my experience at least, and I suspect that the VPR
renders staggers because of trying to navigate within the active vpr viewport.

Edit...that doesnīt say Im completly wrong regarding your problems.
Michael

Boris Goreta
06-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Moving camera in another viewport has no effect on VPR rendering speed, it is steel slow compared to perspective viewport.

Snosrap
06-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Yeah, you would think it would be the same. Layout never has been the speedist thing in the world. We need new guts in LW.

Sensei
06-29-2012, 04:05 PM
When 100% of cpu is used for interactive parallel rendering, no matter what application is used, moving elements in the scene will be with slow down..

Other apps are often disabling updates while mouse is clicked, and start rendering only after releasing. But I prefer what we have now. Don't want to constantly release mouse button just to update renderer!

Boris Goreta
06-29-2012, 04:26 PM
I know but if perspective thumbling is super smooth they can make moving the camera smooth too.

Sensei
06-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Maybe make video so we see what you see..

nomad108
06-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Speeds seem the same with camera and perspective views on my computer, but it's not a very good comp, so that's not saying much. (LG R580. LG stands for Lousy Garbage!) Both camera and perspective views took about 10 seconds to resolve when I changed my viewing angle. What video card are you using?

Boris Goreta
06-30-2012, 01:30 AM
Alright, I found why it is slow when moving the camera. It is due to sunsky environment plugin from Denis. I will report this to him. Thanks.

dpont
06-30-2012, 04:35 AM
Alright, I found why it is slow when moving the camera. It is due to sunsky environment plugin from Denis. I will report this to him...

An environment plugin like Sunsky is not aware of which view is rendered,
it even doesn't know if VPR or F9 is rendering,
VPR gets the view direction and calls a backdrop function,
Sunsky process per ray is identical for both VPR opengl view
or VPR Camera view, thats for primary rays.
If Blur Background is checked for GI, process should be faster.
Anyway I think this should be reported to NT.

Denis.

Boris Goreta
06-30-2012, 04:39 AM
Ok, thanks Denis, then it goes to fogbugz.