06-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=H1mX8ptsmBM

Now spot the LW usage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX-WJxkE2ks&feature=related
:thumbsup:

shrox
06-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Looked great, but the gas bag was way too small!

Nicolas Jordan
06-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Very nice steam punk look and feel to the video. I like it! :thumbsup:

jeric_synergy
06-28-2012, 12:52 AM
Looked great, but the gas bag was way too small!
There's a gas that when you bombard it with gamma radiation, it generates lift in excess of its displacement, in other words, it is anti-gravity gas. So the gas bag doesn't have to be over-large. That's what the green light is from, the gamma generator.

IIRC it was developed by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

erikals
06-28-2012, 02:01 AM
pure art :]

meshpig
06-28-2012, 02:43 AM
I don't get music videos. There's barely enough time for the music and the visuals to interact like in film, they're just a prop for otherwise completely uninteresting music. Ah yes, the triumph of the music industry:)

wrightyp100
06-28-2012, 05:22 AM
Did I read that last comment right? Sigh, some people. I see music videos as 3- 4 minute short films. That was epic. Loved it. The vfx breakdowns are good as well.

meshpig
06-28-2012, 06:01 AM
Did I read that last comment right? Sigh, some people. I see music videos as 3- 4 minute short films.

You were obviously not around in the hey day of short films; 3 minutes is a long commercial and no amount of graphics would make me want to buy that utter waffle.

wibly wobly
06-28-2012, 06:05 AM
I saw this a while ago. I liked just about everything in it except for the little dragon taking off. That needed work. Everything else is working pretty well and was well thought out. The song isn't bad either.

littlewaves
06-28-2012, 06:14 AM
You were obviously not around in the hey day of short films; 3 minutes is a long commercial and no amount of graphics would make me want to buy that utter waffle.

are you seriously suggesting that there's a minimum running time requirement for a film to be considered artistic?

Is there also a minimum surface area for a painting?

Absurd!

wrightyp100
06-28-2012, 07:23 AM
Try watching any of the shorts on the interwebz. Yes, the majority are probably toss, but then I'm sure the majority of full length films are toss.

They may not be your thing and that's cool, but you can't blanket dismiss them.

meshpig
06-28-2012, 07:27 AM
are you seriously suggesting that there's a minimum running time requirement for a film to be considered artistic?

Is there also a minimum surface area for a painting?

Absurd!

Ooh I dunno, I think if you could ask the great painters of the C20 they'd argue for something like "life size": Picasso, Bacon, Balthus ... and Cinema by nature was never concerned with pokey computer screens and DVD players.

Of course there's no fixed dimensions for anything artistic but when I say "the triumph of the music industry" I mean exactly that.

kopperdrake
06-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Ooh I dunno, I think if you could ask the great painters of the C20 they'd argue for something like "life size": Picasso, Bacon, Balthus ... and Cinema by nature was never concerned with pokey computer screens and DVD players.

Of course there's no fixed dimensions for anything artistic but when I say "the triumph of the music industry" I mean exactly that.

Blimey meshpig - the main reason large was used in your examples was the required viewing distance from the piece needed to make it work. Go a century or two earlier and you also get miniatures where the painting was intended for only one viewer at very close quarters. Cinema was never concerned with pokey screens because they were made for an audience of more than one. It always makes me laugh when you get someone with a 52" screen in a 12' square room, because 'bigger is better', or so we're led to believe.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favour of the present music industry system in any way shape or form, but to target music videos as nothing more than eye-candy for lacklustre music is a tad much, and I suspect you know it. There is good music and bad, good video and bad, and sometimes both get together, either way.

For my part, I liked the video - I happen to like the steampunk look and it was done well. The music wasn't bad either. The whole package entertained me. What more really is there to it?

jeric_synergy
06-28-2012, 08:56 AM
I don't get music videos. There's barely enough time for the music and the visuals to interact like in film, they're just a prop for otherwise completely uninteresting music.
Rrriiiiiggghtt, because, in "film", when they use a song, they always stretch out the music 3 to 7 times as long, or just loop it.

--Are you high or something?

archijam
06-28-2012, 10:16 AM
What a weird thread ..

That was awesome - done by a small, enthusiastic crew of very skilled artists!

Wes! Congreatulations on an understated little gem .. not my taste of music (usually), but on the contrary, the video gave it a whole other spin and context that I really appreciated!

Wes also did the 'Ruin' short, i guess that is too 'short' for some peoples tastes as well .. (wtf?)

jeric_synergy
06-28-2012, 01:12 PM
They say it was a one-day shoot (impressive, but geeze), but I didn't hear anything on how long post took. (PLEASE tell me it took weeks!)

The LightWave snippet showed the dragon in the LW UI, but was ALL the 3d stuff LW??

I was impressed by the 'boiler doors' and the light there: was it volumetric around the talent? Also, the floor texture in the final shot 'sold' it for me.

DAMN people are talented!

kadri
06-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Nicely done :)

Cageman
06-29-2012, 01:20 AM
According to the blog over at Oddball Animation, all rendering was Modo exclusive with animations comming from LW and Maya.

jeric_synergy
06-29-2012, 02:05 AM
According to the blog over at Oddball Animation, all rendering was Modo exclusive with animations comming from LW and Maya.
Man, that place is software agnostic.

meshpig
06-29-2012, 03:25 AM
Rrriiiiiggghtt, because, in "film", when they use a song, they always stretch out the music 3 to 7 times as long, or just loop it.

--Are you high or something?

No, but it's interesting how the dude with the goggles becomes the "refrain" or the "ditty" like you'd normally get in music.

littlewaves
06-29-2012, 04:10 AM

So what's modo's renderer got that LW hasn't?

(that's not meant to be provocative I'm just curious as I always think of LW's render engine as one of it's strongest points)

meshpig
06-29-2012, 05:46 AM
Blimey meshpig - the main reason large was used in your examples was the required viewing distance from the piece needed to make it work. Go a century or two earlier and you also get miniatures where the painting was intended for only one viewer at very close quarters.

Blimey indeed kopperdrake. Go a few Centuries back and all you have is a 'non plus ultra'. Like most great things it comes down to accidental rather than causal circumstances; who would have thought the first connections between motion pictures and railways would have taken off? Cezanne obviously had some idea of the effect of motion on the viewer's percetion of the landscape but otherwise it's just serendipitous.

Actually I doubt there is good and bad music really but "What more really is there to it?" is an interesting question resolution aside.

- "Art" is a completely nominal concept: I can't recall that many instances in the fifty years I've been around where one is really gripped by the possibilities or affects of "... all this Art" notwithstanding the blazing becomings of Vincent Van Gogh or the sheer brilliance of any number of filmmakers prior to the predominance of Hollywood and the supremacy of the narrative.

My bet is you don't stay up all night watching 12 hours of of 3 minute music vids either:)

inkpen3d
06-29-2012, 10:23 AM
As mentioned, OddBall Animation did the CGI work for that music video. Check out the concept Ruin (http://www.oddballanimation.com/concept-ruin) videos on their web site - all done using LW and Modo - pretty awesome IMHO!

Regards,
Peter

jeric_synergy
06-29-2012, 10:37 AM
As mentioned, OddBall Animation did the CGI work for that music video. Check out the concept Ruin (http://www.oddballanimation.com/concept-ruin) videos on their web site - all done using LW and Modo - pretty awesome IMHO!

Regards,
Peter
Oh, they're THOSE guys. Yeah, they're hardcore.

I'm going to have to watch the steampunk video again: the boiler room scene is really well done.

Cageman
06-29-2012, 01:01 PM
So what's modo's renderer got that LW hasn't?

(that's not meant to be provocative I'm just curious as I always think of LW's render engine as one of it's strongest points)

At that point in time, Modo had an instancing system through their Replicators system that is pretty fast when using Brute Force Monte Carlo GI. Compared to LW which, at the time of that production, didn't have a native instancing system, and the third party systems that exists are volumetrics, and thus a whole lot heavier to render, especially when you throw in things like GI.

EDIT: Not that I saw anything in the video that would require an instancing system though... but... Modos renderengine might have had some optimizations that made that particular production faster to render...