PDA

View Full Version : Need a camcorder for green screen and effects

ShadowMystic
06-27-2012, 01:06 AM
I recently got a samsung, and its ok. Its decent enough for animation reference shots and hopefully I'll get a satisfactory recording for several shots for demoreel(noise is pronouced in moderate lighting). Unfortunately, I foresee the need to step up coming rather quickly. I'd say the maximum I could spend would be $500. Any suggestions are welcome.

wibly wobly
06-27-2012, 05:28 AM
You can get sort of get away with a 4.2.0 4.1.1 camera for keying if you avoid things like flowing hair, thin stringy / floaty objects. Just blur the chroma channel a little and key off that. It can work if you're desperate. It wont look pretty though. Otherwise, you really need a 4.2.2 or better camera and nothing in that price range will do that, unless you're renting. The only other thing you might be able to do, is if you use your camera HDMI out and record onto an outboard recording source. Like Nanoflash. But, that's not likely to be in your price range either.

http://www.convergent-design.com/Products/nanoFlash.aspx

ShadowMystic
06-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Well I play with the settings on the one I got more. There is no direct ISO setting, but I'll try some other options. My shots first will be simple. No blowing, flowing hair against green screen.

erikals
06-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Canon rebel t2i... also great for film in general.

ShadowMystic
06-27-2012, 04:21 PM

I like the idea of getting a DSLR and film camera in one. That's something I'll definitely consider

GregMalick
06-27-2012, 04:36 PM

The Rebel will be my next camera... but I don't think you can get one for under $500.

ShadowMystic
06-27-2012, 04:42 PM
The Rebel will be my next camera... but I don't think you can get one for under $500.

I'd go over 500 if I would be getting a DSLR as well.

erikals
06-27-2012, 04:52 PM
 
yeah, thought it was lower,

about $500 without lens
about $570 with lens.... +memory card

 

ShadowMystic
06-27-2012, 07:45 PM

yeah, thought it was lower,

about $500 without lens
about $570 with lens.... +memory card

That's reasonable if it does both video and photos well. My current photo camera can do video,but its maximum res is 640x480 I believe.

erikals
06-28-2012, 01:25 AM
yup, "everyone" is using the t2i for this kind of stuff...

wibly wobly
06-28-2012, 05:18 AM
I almost got a 3ti until I held the D3 in my hands. That body is so much better it's silly. the 3ti felt like a toy in comparison. I didn't end up getting either because I got another GoPro instead. A buddy of mine has the Scarlet. He's sent me a couple stills from it. Bloody amazing footage. It's no where near $500 though.

You might be able to get a dslr body second hand from someone upgrading. Grab a cheap lens and tough it out until you can afford some proper glass. You'd almost certainly get better footage with something like a 2ti, t3i or D3 then a $500 camcorder, assuming you're shooting under controlled conditions. I don't know if I'd want to try run and gun shooting with a dslr. As long as the bitrate on your camcorder isn't terrible you can probably pull off something with it. Alternatively, you can just work at 720p and shoot at 1080p. That can help hide things.

torturebori007
06-28-2012, 07:55 AM

That would work well, just FYI

The Canon T4i just came out last week and it is a monster of a camera and its affordable ($799.00 or 899.00) or so at best buy. But it is great Now with continuous motion focusing which is a great feature.

torturebori007
06-28-2012, 07:59 AM
Also if we are talking about all these great things to do with the DSLR, look up

Finalcutking on youtube, the kid is amazing. you can get great tips and learn some more cool stuff.

just feels like we are crossing paths Im heading into 3d and you going to video/film its awesome

ShadowMystic
06-28-2012, 09:30 AM
I did experiments with my camcorder I have, and I triedevery setting. Only my daylight shots were noise less. Idk what's cheaper, studio lighting to mimic the late day all around sunlight I had or the better DSLR

I'm moving to San Francisco is 32 days and after that I'll know my real budget. If I get a graphics job/intership I'll easily be able to use some savings on equipment.

PS if anyone is hiring PM me :)

biliousfrog
06-28-2012, 09:59 AM
You'll get much better footage from a DSLR but you'll lose auto-focus (it's incredibly slow for video) and image stabilisation (unless you get a stabilised lens). Some of the lower end DSLR's also have a lot of limitations with regard to ISO, shutter speed, frame rates etc.

I had a 500D for a while and the video quality was great but the implementation was so fiddly that I never used it. I now have a 5Dmk2 and it's fantastic. This video was shot by a friend with our cameras and lenses: http://vimeo.com/35161388

The 7D is even better for video, I'd go for that if video was my primary focus.

Consider that DSLR's will only shoot what they see and you'll need decent lenses to get the most from them. The kit lenses aren't great although the IS available in some of them is useful. Personally, if you have a very limited budget, I'd buy a body only and get the 50mm 1.8 mk2 lens instead of the 18-55mm kit. It's Canon's cheapest lens but competes with their top-end 'L' lenses in image quality. You'll be limited to a single focus length but the footage will look great ;) The other kit lenses are 'ok' but the 18-55mm is horrible.

I haven't kept up with the current cameras but Nikon's compression wasn't great up until a couple of years ago. Built quality in the lower end cameras is better but Canon definitely had the edge with video quality which is why 5D mk2 & 3's and 7D's are used so much in TV work.

torturebori007
06-28-2012, 10:07 AM
I agree with biliousfrog, its a matter of the lens when you begin to talk quality although a nice body does help.

Keep in mind, that those lenses pretty much keep their value with time. So it will be a good investment.

ShadowMystic
06-28-2012, 10:24 AM
That is one problem. I am a dslr newbie. I wish I could have taken photo when I was still in college

GregMalick
06-29-2012, 02:30 AM
Lots of good books out there.

I recommend DSLR CINEMA by Kurt Lancaster

Iain
06-29-2012, 07:31 AM
Slightly OT but I was looking at the Canon SLRs in this price range and to be honest (I'm going to sound prissy here,) they just look crap! Big plasticky, cheap looking things.
I ended up getting a Fujifilm X10. It was between that and the Olympus PEN for me but I decided I don't need interchangeable lenses for my purposes and the Fuji got great reviews (and looks like my old SLR :)).
1080p movies on a compact 400 camera!

Its a beaut-honestly. I loves it.....................

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/compact-cameras/fuji-finepix-x10-1045190/review#articleContent

erikals
06-29-2012, 10:02 AM
the next big thing is of course the Black Magic Cinema camera, but that's another price range.
$3000

http://vimeo.com/40477529

 

ShadowMystic
06-29-2012, 01:41 PM
the next big thing is of course the Black Magic Cinema camera, but that's another price range.
$3000

http://vimeo.com/40477529

I think I'm set on getting the t2i. I just have to wait till after the move to get it. I don't feel comfortablemaking any investment till after we're settled in.

ShadowMystic
07-08-2012, 12:50 AM
So I've changed my mind a bit. Stepping up t t3I with a 50mm f.8 and a 75-300mm with sturdy tripod. If you're going to do it, might as well do it right. I've got a lot of shots I want to do with After effects and some lightwave

wibly wobly
07-09-2012, 09:28 AM
If you're going in that price range, look at the 60D. It's only about $100 more but, the body is so, so much better then the T3i imo. The T3i feels like a toy in comparison.

ShadowMystic
07-09-2012, 12:24 PM
If you're going in that price range, look at the 60D. It's only about $100 more but, the body is so, so much better then the T3i imo. The T3i feels like a toy in comparison.

Try $300 more. T3I $567, 60D $899

If I start making money with it, I'l eventually upgrade to 5d or 7d

snsmoore
07-11-2012, 02:54 PM
I was looking for the same solution in the $800-1500 range. Almost considered a 7D, but went with a Panasonic GH2, because it doesn't have the problems with moire and reduces rolling shutter issues. Plus the MFT cameras allow you to adapt just about any old lens on them(I've got Nikon 50mm and Nikkor 35mm lenses that I like a lot) . Using 1980-1990's prime lenses can be a lot cheaper than buying a new lens, especially if you visit garage sales and flea markets. It's also nice having a much smaller camera for video - especially in more cramped conditons or where I don't want to draw a lot of attention.

Of course if I had lots more money, I'd go the 5D route. ;)