PDA

View Full Version : LW nodal should take some tips from ICE

stevenpalomino
06-26-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure how much y'all know about Softimage or ICE but I was just messing around with some nodal stuff and really wished there was a way to collapse nodes into one and save custom nodes like ICE. I think this would also encourage people to really dive into nodes. Thanks to denis, nodes are SERIOUSLY becoming a huge part of LW and getting great results and cheats.
Anyway, for those who are unfamiliar here's a great video on ICE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWExnkzk-Ug

Dodgy
06-26-2012, 05:34 PM
You can get Group node from Truart for $30. It allows you to add a node with any number of inputs and outputs, and when you open it, it's another node editor, so you can make a whole node tree within.

http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins

Sensei
06-26-2012, 05:36 PM
I'm not sure how much y'all know about Softimage or ICE but I was just messing around with some nodal stuff and really wished there was a way to collapse nodes into one and save custom nodes

But it's possible.. For 3 years..
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/TrueGroup

jeric_synergy
06-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Good job by Truart! Sensei is another irreplaceable 3rd Party LW enabler!

(When I started this post, it was before Sensei posted: now I just look like a wimpy sycophant! ) :hey: :angel:

stevenpalomino
06-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Oh!!:D

Now two other things. (1) Can you save groups so that you can use them in later scenes and (2) can you save them so that they show up in the nodes list. That be great for some of the complex dpkit stuff I've seen flying around. Save a group, add it to a "favorites" then re-use or redistribute :hey:

OnlineRender
06-27-2012, 01:55 AM
I really like the way blender handles nodes , I am not sure if you can do it in LW however when you drop a node in the middle of two other nodes it snaps and connects, you can also use the pencil to cut the node line ,it just feels a little more modern and intuitive as for functionality I think LW is a little more refined ... if you want talk nodes try fusion or city engine I just look at some of these set up and go WTF!

Kuzey
06-27-2012, 02:56 AM
It would be cool if we can right click on a node and change/replace it with a different node while keeping input/output connections and/or settings.

Something like "replace node with default settings" or "replace node with current settings".

Kuzey

lardbros
06-27-2012, 05:30 AM
Dragging and dropping would be needed for better functionality. We could hold shift and drag a node onto another node to replace or something like that.

Also, would be cool to have some kind of feedback on each output, so you could hover the mouse over the output dot, and LW would show what values are actually being output. (Yes, I know there is a plugin for this, but it's just not very ellegant.)

The node editor could simply look a little nicer too, but then Newtek don't tend to go this route.

zardoz
06-27-2012, 07:49 AM
and we could simply slide/drag the mouse over the input and change values not needing to open the node, or double click to insert values in the input slot without opening the node.

Sensei
06-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Or better - simply making Node Editor plugin class in LWSDK for me.. ;)

stevenpalomino
06-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Dragging and dropping would be needed for better functionality. We could hold shift and drag a node onto another node to replace or something like that.

Yes!!

Or better - simply making Node Editor plugin class in LWSDK for me..

Ohh.. is that part not included in the SDK? hmm I wonder why not :stumped:

Kuzey
06-27-2012, 08:20 AM
and we could simply slide/drag the mouse over the input and change values not needing to open the node, or double click to insert values in the input slot without opening the node.

Nice one :)

Kuzey

Sensei
06-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Nice one :)

But not doable. Maybe in completely new app.

Kuzey
06-27-2012, 08:29 AM
But not doable. Maybe in completely new app.

spoilsport :P

Hopefully...by the time LW becomes integrated...it will be a new app.

Kuzey

Sensei
06-27-2012, 09:40 AM
New app is when programmers are writing it from scratch.. :p

Kuzey
06-27-2012, 01:41 PM
New app is when programmers are writing it from scratch.. :p

You're no fun at all :D

Kuzey

Sensei
06-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Don't you want Core v2.0? :p

jeric_synergy
06-27-2012, 02:02 PM
I wish NewTek had a program where, if they weren't going to just subsidize people like Sensei, they would RECOMMEND and CERTIFY 3rd Partly plugins on the NewTek website. EG:

"NewTek's LightWave doesn't come with Node Grouping, but we have certified Truarts's TrueGroup plugins to supply that functionality. Here's a link....."

ShadowMystic
06-27-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure how much y'all know about Softimage or ICE but I was just messing around with some nodal stuff and really wished there was a way to collapse nodes into one and save custom nodes like ICE. I think this would also encourage people to really dive into nodes. Thanks to denis, nodes are SERIOUSLY becoming a huge part of LW and getting great results and cheats.
Anyway, for those who are unfamiliar here's a great video on ICE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWExnkzk-Ug

He wants to precompose nodes. Makes sense.

Sensei
06-27-2012, 02:05 PM
They used to mention all major 3rd party developers on website, the old one. But after making new one, that section was not recreated.
I wrote e-mail to Chuck about it, because direct link is also Search Engine Optimization and promotion in Google and other search engines, which is more important, but didn't get any reply.

Kuzey
06-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Don't you want Core v2.0? :p

I did write something about Core..but deleted it before posting :hey:

Can they build it in a modular fashion..one section at a time..modelling tools, surface system etc. until they get to a new app..without starting from scratch?

Kuzey

Sensei
06-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Can they build it in a modular fashion..one section at a time..modelling tools, surface system etc. until they get to a new app..without starting from scratch?

You won't even notice if they do it. It's internal.
Probably VPR is such thing. Because it was made in Core and then appeared in v10.0 very quickly..

Kuzey
06-27-2012, 02:19 PM
You won't even notice if they do it. It's internal.
Probably VPR is such thing. Because it was made in Core and then appeared in v10.0 very quickly..

So there's Hope...thank you Sensei :D

Kuzey