PDA

View Full Version : Sad end to a long trip - Missing LW Dongle

jburford
06-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Sorry for posting, just wanna get off chest and finally accept my loss to move on.

Finally wrapped up my trip to the states this mid June, all was well, and traveled through the Paris CDG Airport for the final leg back to Frankfurt. At this point, I still had my small bag (ziplock) with my LW Dongle, and 2 USB Drives also used as dongles for Messiah and such.

Put them on the screening belt in a box with all my other stuff, and went through. In the rush somehow to get all my stuff picked up and catch the flight in the next few minutes. Did not notice that the small bag and Dongles had somehow "gone missing".

After arriving in Frankfurt, and unpacking, emptying pockets I first noticed that it was gone.

The fun part was Terminal 2 was the only Terminal without a Direct Lost and Found, nor with a phone contact for lost and found items or inquiries when something like that happenned. Called the Airport, got a supposed email address to write to for research.

And nothing, no response, no action, nothing...... Arrrghh...

Ok, sorry, guess time to accept and move on, get things moving for replacements and such as not able to do anything at moment without the Dongle.

Jeff

Ps. if anyone works at the CDG Airport in Paris, and has any insight to procedures there, please contact me.

Paul_Boland
06-25-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm always careful when going through security at airports. It's the only time you have to open bags, take out stuff, take stuff off, empty pockets, etc. When I get to the other side, I don't move until I have EVERYTHING back in my possion and when I do go to move, I look again just to be sure. Hope you can get this sorted :(.

JamesCurtis
06-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Did you have any sort of insurance on the equipment?

donny
06-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Hello jburford
This is Donny with Customer Support. Sorry to hear about your experience at the airport. Customer Support is always looking for ways to help our customers and keep them up and running. Please send me a pm with your contact information and I will be happy to help you get back up and running with your copy of LightWave.

archijam
06-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Sorry for posting, just wanna get off chest and finally accept my loss to move on.

Finally wrapped up my trip to the states this mid June, all was well, and traveled through the Paris CDG Airport for the final leg back to Frankfurt. At this point, I still had my small bag (ziplock) with my LW Dongle, and 2 USB Drives also used as dongles for Messiah and such.

Put them on the screening belt in a box with all my other stuff, and went through. In the rush somehow to get all my stuff picked up and catch the flight in the next few minutes. Did not notice that the small bag and Dongles had somehow "gone missing".

After arriving in Frankfurt, and unpacking, emptying pockets I first noticed that it was gone.

The fun part was Terminal 2 was the only Terminal without a Direct Lost and Found, nor with a phone contact for lost and found items or inquiries when something like that happenned. Called the Airport, got a supposed email address to write to for research.

And nothing, no response, no action, nothing...... Arrrghh...

Ok, sorry, guess time to accept and move on, get things moving for replacements and such as not able to do anything at moment without the Dongle.

Jeff

Ps. if anyone works at the CDG Airport in Paris, and has any insight to procedures there, please contact me.

NT europe were very helpful when I sent my bag of USB devices off into the German railway system, never to return ...

They usually ask for a copy of a police report or some official attempt to get the thing back, so it's worth the enquiry, if only for that.

Good luck!

jburford
06-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the replies! Donny, I just replied via pm.

THREEL
06-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Jeff! I broke my dongle a while back, and Newtek was quite gracious and swift at getting me back up and running. BTW~Were you able to get back this way? Hopefully, you got a chance to see the family. :)

DiscoBurgess
06-26-2012, 04:16 AM
There are times I would trade a dongle for Steam-style online activation. Or, preferably, neither.

I know it's been said before, but there have been pirate versions kicking around with the dongle check removed for over a decade - pirates aren't being stopped by the dongle, it's just those of us who've actually paid for the software that are inconvenienced. Any Adobe suite will set you back more than LW (thanks to LW being so reasonably priced!), but no dongle inconvenience there.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm not trying to trigger a big piracy/DRM discussion - just grumbling.

jburford
06-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Hi Al,
no, did not make it back that way, but got caught up in the NBA Playoffs and Finals as I was there.

Yes, there are other ways of tying (sp) a license to a system, perhaps we will see what the future brings in that way.

Unfortunately did not think about extra insurance before traveling. At least I did a backup of my main Content USB Stick before traveling. So mainly the pain of some of the plugins that are specifically tied to the USB Hardware.

sublimationman
06-28-2012, 10:15 PM
There are times I would trade a dongle for Steam-style online activation. Or, preferably, neither.

I know it's been said before, but there have been pirate versions kicking around with the dongle check removed for over a decade - pirates aren't being stopped by the dongle, it's just those of us who've actually paid for the software that are inconvenienced. Any Adobe suite will set you back more than LW (thanks to LW being so reasonably priced!), but no dongle inconvenience there.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm not trying to trigger a big piracy/DRM discussion - just grumbling.

I know what you mean. My Dongle just melted and I am still waiting to hear back from support.

I have no qualms about them protecting their software but it should not inconvenience the person that pays for it legally, ever!

GregMalick
06-29-2012, 12:39 AM
I know what you mean. My Dongle just melted and I am still waiting to hear back from support.

I have no qualms about them protecting their software but it should not inconvenience the person that pays for it legally, ever!

I lost my dongle - and for a nominal fee, NewTek quickly replaced it.

The inconvenience was getting all my licensed 3rd party software re-licensed to the new dongle. That took awhile - especially for a few 3rd party venders.

...just sayin'