PDA

View Full Version : compositing more than two depth passes in AE

dblincoe
06-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Hello all,
I'm stumped. I've been able to composite two separate render passes using a depth pass for each pass in AE. However when it comes to adding another object (third pass) I'm not sure how to it. Anybody have any ideas?

Here is what I've basically done for the 1st two layers.
1) rendered each layer with depth info using exrtrader.
2) import sequences into AE
3) use the depth info from the background image to subtract out and mask the foreground images depth info
4) use the new mask (in step 3) as a luma matte

Ma3rk
06-24-2012, 11:16 AM
W/o actually seeing your workflow and how you have your AE project set up, I suspect it's simply a matter of just cloning some elements and nesting your comps.

dblincoe
06-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Yep, I'm working on some screen cap's to post soon. Stay tuned!
Thanks!

dblincoe
06-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Here is some screen grabs of my workflow...hopefully it will shed some light on what I have done.

Basically have followed the digital tutors workflow for depth compositing in AE.

The problem is I have a third layer (possibly more) that I will render with depth info that will need to be incorporated. This layer will happen intermingled with the "fat" and the "vessels". These layers are not shown in my screen grab.

Thanks for your help!

raw-m
06-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Looks to me as though you're going to have to render out your additional pieces using your other objects as "Mattes Objects", basically so your new pieces are alpha'd out where your existing pieces are.

dblincoe
06-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Figured it out. I used the new depth mask that combined the first two layers to cut and combine their depth passes. This gives me a new depth information that represents the new comp and can be used in creating a desk mask to comp in the next layer. If I get some time I will create a flow chart/tutorial and post. Hard to describe but thanks for all of your help!