PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for fleshy eyes with nodes?

vncnt
06-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Ok, so far Ive created 6 morphs to be driven by the eye rotation and a driver object that copies the rotation of the eye-bone.

As you can see in the attachment the rotation of that object is actually driving the morph.
Surprisingly it seems to work.

Of course a "down left" morph should only be activated when the eye rotates in that direction. When the eye looks neutral + max left/right none of the morphs should be activated.

The next step would be to filter the rotations to:
- up left
- up mid
- up right
- down left
- down mid
- down right

Before I try, does anyone of you have suggestions or links to tutorials for LW nodes?

RebelHill
06-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Funny... Ive been doing a tutorial of something very similar... However for the effect you're after, its generally better to use mapping to n object to create a simple bulge displacement over the area of the front of the eye, rather than trying to cross a bunch of morfs for different positions.

vncnt
06-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Got this technique from a book: Autodesk Maya Techniques - Hyper-Realistic Creature Creation.

erikals
06-24-2012, 12:12 PM
 
weird, i was thinking about something similar today...
but dropped the idea of morphs, as it has the problem Rebel mentions...

using a displacement sounds interesting (and fairly simple)
(was thinking of using this on a shoulder rig)

 

vncnt
06-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Watched my own eye in the mirror and it seems a very detailed area with very subtle movements.

I think that must have been the reason why theyve chosen that particular solution.

erikals
06-24-2012, 12:59 PM
hm, seems a bit strange, especially considering Maya use clumsy blend shapes...
some tricks are good, some are bad, not sure about that particular trick...

SplineGod
06-25-2012, 03:24 AM
Heres a very simple setup that does that. Its also pretty easy to tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUokPnFr3GE&feature=plcp

RebelHill
06-25-2012, 05:53 AM
Yeah... wait a minute...

I was assuming here that you're after the whole eyelid displacement as a non spherical eye (ie, a cornea/lens protrusion) moves around. Are you actually just trying for the "soft eyes" effect, where the eyelids just "follow" the rotation of the eye itself, looking up, down, etc?

Cos if so, then thats SO easy... jsut one bone and a weighmap. Make a sibling bone to each of your eye bones, constrain them using same as item to follow the eyebone a given percentage, weight them to the eyelids... done.

littlewaves
06-25-2012, 05:57 AM
Funny... Ive been doing a tutorial of something very similar...

looking forward to that.:)

SplineGod
06-25-2012, 06:14 AM
In the example I posted, its pretty much what RH said...
Ive got one bone that rotates the eye and slightly moved the eyelid.
Another bone is used to fight against the eyelid movement. This is done by using two different weight maps...one that is effected by the nonmoving bone and the other effected by the same bone that rotates the eyeball. The stregth of the effect is governed by the bone strength.
Using that as a starting point you can add more bones/weightmaps and go as compliated as needed. :)

vncnt
06-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Looks good!
Ill try that before going to bed.

vncnt
06-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Tried the bone method and its almost right - see attachment.
Lower eyelid penetrates the eye slightly when looking up but that can be solved.

I can imagine however this is not detailed enough for non-cartoon characters.

If I remember well the example in the book used a tip bone/object to measure the distance to the eyelid and let that value drive the morphs.

Carm3D
11-02-2012, 06:03 AM
I just finished a tutorial on this topic: iTutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdB57apwVNQ)

Enjoy!

daforum
11-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Cool tutorial, thanks Carm :thumbsup: