PDA

View Full Version : Serpent or alternative

oab
06-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Hi
trying to get up to speed with LW again. Using 10.1
Am trying to animate a road over a map, using serpent but the back of the arrow randomly disappears or shortens and if I have the arrow head too close to the axis point, it to randomly disappears. I've uploaded a rough animation here http://www.mascom.co.nz/media/Coro-Whiti.wmv if someone could take a look. No settings as such in serpent so can't figure out what it's doing. Possibly another method if there's a link to a tutorial which gives me more control over it. I need to do this in LW as I want it to cast a shadow but also will be rendered out stereoscopic.
Any help, greatly appreciated.

nickdigital
06-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Denis just updated DPKit with a spline deformer. Give that a go.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=128803

SplineGod
06-22-2012, 12:39 AM
Serpent is the worst alternative.Nicks suggestion is what Id go with. The plugin works really well.

oab
06-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the info, downloaded and installed but Spline Deformer doesn't show. The other plugins are there though. I'm using LW10.1 on mac
Thanks

SplineGod
06-22-2012, 12:53 AM
should be under dpkit-displacements-spline deformer in the node editor.

oab
06-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Thanks, attached screen grab, just not there.
Cheers

raw-m
06-22-2012, 01:09 AM
Don't think we have a mac version yet. Hopefully very soon!

SplineGod
06-22-2012, 02:08 AM
You might also try a free plugin called Trailer

oab
06-22-2012, 03:21 AM
Thanks Larry, don't think it's available for Mac. There is a Trailer Plugin for Mac there as .dmg but it seems it's for Cinema Tools. I quickly loaded LW10.1 onto an older PC and downloaded / installed DP-Kit. Seems to work but I can't get the procedure correct with the info available. Not sure if the arrow follows the spline etc. If I move the arrow the whole spline moves ? I'll probably have to get a newer faster PC just for LW as there doesn't seem to be straight forward way of doing this on the Mac version. I thought doing this would be quite simple.
Thanks for your help.

SplineGod
06-22-2012, 04:13 AM
There is also the old method of morphing along a bone chain.
Also try shifter which is part of dpkit. Its basically an animated rail extrude.
Also included with dpkit is a procedural texture called marker pen. It leaves a trail as a texture by using a null as the pen. This could be used in the transparency channel