PDA

View Full Version : I'm guessing no one uses transparency?

retter7
10-26-2003, 12:05 PM
At the risk of annoying a few, I have to say that I'm simply amazed no one is concerned with transparency in Layout. The lack of response to my threads tells me that no one uses or no one knows that LW is capable of it.

If anyone is interested...give it a try with a few objects loaded into Layout if you're using a G5 with the 9600 or 9800 card. Your transparency will turn solid in your OpenGL preview as soon as you deselect. I need some more people complaining about this so that Tech Support will take it seriously. I use transparency as a major step in my work process. Without it I'm screwed. So minor glitches with Panther don't bother me much...you can always go back to Jag.

r

mlinde
10-26-2003, 04:12 PM
The transparency issue, frankly, sounds like another lovely ATi driver problem. Whether ATi or Apple would like to take credit is up in the air.

The real question is, can this problem be duplicated on a G5 with the nVidia FX 5200 card?

retter7
10-27-2003, 06:51 AM
Thanks mlinde. That is the question. Unfortunately, I yanked the nVidia card in favor of the Radeon 9000 in my dual G5 because of weird screen artifacting with the nVidia. I'd be hesitent to try.

r

Triple G
10-27-2003, 11:35 AM
I thought you couldn't use the Radeon 9000 in a G5? I thought the only ones that would work (for now, anyway) were the build-to-order options that Apple offers...something about the connections are in the wrong spot with the other cards? :confused:

mlinde
10-27-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Triple G
I thought you couldn't use the Radeon 9000 in a G5? I thought the only ones that would work (for now, anyway) were the build-to-order options that Apple offers...something about the connections are in the wrong spot with the other cards? :confused:

Retail cards (constructed and packaged by ATi) will work in the G5. OEM cards (constructed by Apple and installed in Macs) prior to the current 3 will not. However, I think that he's actually made a typo, and he's got a 9800.

retter7
10-27-2003, 12:20 PM
Yep...sorry. I meant in my old g4. Since the nVidia card was so bad in it, I don't want to try an nVidia card in the g5.

I've got the 9800 in my g5. Damn those typo's.

r

Triple G
10-27-2003, 12:25 PM
Ahh....ok, gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up, guys. :)

retter7
10-27-2003, 12:40 PM
One more thing...I heard back from tech support and have been told that the trans issue has been passed on to development but it's doubtful it will be looked at until v8 is released. So much for a happy ending.

r