PDA

View Full Version : Can I give lightwave for free ?

rednova
06-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Dear friends:

Is it legal to give lw 10 upgrade for free as a gift ?
I am really happy with lightwave 9.6 and do not need
my lw 10 upgrade (wich came for free when I bought into
core/lw 9 ). I am saving my money to buy a later lw
upgrade in the future.
I do not need or want lw 10 upgrade. Is legit complete in box.
Is it legal to giveaway my legit lw 10 upgrade for free as a gift ?
I will never use it, and rather give it away as a gift.

Thank you !!!

rednova

nickdigital
06-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Since your upgrade to 10 is free, why not just download it and see if it's useful to you.

My guess is "no", you can't give your upgrade away as it was free to you.

DigitalSorcery8
06-21-2012, 06:07 PM
I guess you could IF it were to another LW user. But since YOU have your LW dongle and the upgrade does not come with one, it makes it rather difficult.

Just contact customer service and they'll let you know.

hrgiger
06-21-2012, 09:16 PM
You only own 1 license correct? If so, then no. You could give away your LightWave for free, that's no problem. But you would also have to give the dongle with it if the other person would be able to use it. At that point you would no longer own a copy of LightWave to upgrade.

Serling
06-21-2012, 10:49 PM
You could give it to him but unless and until he purchases his own dongle (USB key), it will only run in "Demo Mode."

If he wants free software, have him get Blender (http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/).

Ryan Roye
06-22-2012, 05:15 PM
If he wants free software, have him get Blender (http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/).

I thought that was just a fancy plugin for Lightwave ;)

Markc
06-23-2012, 05:34 AM
I don't know your reasons for not upgrading, but I would install it before you make any rash decisions, and see what your missing.
Why would you want to be stuck in the past, when you have a newer version just sitting there?
Even if you have old plugins that don't run in 10, you can have both versions installed.

You may also find that if you upgrade (after missing a version or two) it will cost you more.

gravin
06-23-2012, 06:17 AM
Just as a heads up, from what I understand, upgrades are permanent. So if you register the upgrade with Newtek to generate unlock codes with your dongle id it is permanently associated with your hardware lock. That aside I don't see why you couldn't do as you please with the upgrade before it has been used to generate unlock codes with Newtek. I'm not in any way affiliated with Newtek though so it might be best to try and get someone at the customer service desk on the phone.

archijam
06-24-2012, 08:07 AM
You may also find that if you upgrade (after missing a version or two) it will cost you more.

This is not typical nt policy, afaik...

DigitalSorcery8
06-24-2012, 01:28 PM

This is not typical nt policy, afaik...

Yes, this has NEVER been the policy of NT (as long as I've been a user) and it's one of the very great things about owning LW - AND the fact that you can sell it if you find you don't need it any more. I purchased an older LW5.0 license a few years ago and upgraded it to LW9 - for the SAME price as someone who upgraded from LW8 to LW9. Newtek's upgrade policy is... great! :thumbsup:

Markc
06-25-2012, 04:00 AM
My mistake, I was getting mixed up with the Hardcore 'locked price' for 'x' number of upgrades :)

Matt
06-25-2012, 02:56 PM
You only own 1 license correct? If so, then no. You could give away your LightWave for free, that's no problem. But you would also have to give the dongle with it if the other person would be able to use it. At that point you would no longer own a copy of LightWave to upgrade.

Exactly right.

DigitalSorcery8
06-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Exactly right.

And what if LW10 has not been registered to that dongle? What if he hasn't done anything with it? Could he not give that to another person who also has a previous version of LW?