PDA

View Full Version : Selling on TurboSquid from the UK

JBT27
06-21-2012, 04:23 AM
Can anyone please offer any advice about the tax forms and procedure to set up selling on TurboSquid from the UK?

Yes, it's on their website, and I had a chat session with them, and I have read through some of the IRS pages about such things ... indeed, we have supplied such forms to one US client four years ago, though that was a bit fraught and uncertain.

We've ended up getting confused, so would appreciate any insights.

Thanks.

Julian.

geo_n
06-21-2012, 04:53 AM
You only submit w8-ben form if your country has a tax treaty with the US.
TS will process everything for you after you email them the completed form.

JBT27
06-21-2012, 05:01 AM
I think the UK does have a tax treaty, but TS also want an ITIN number, and then yesterday said about an EIN or something ... which kind of compounded it all into a confusing mess.

But thanks ... we can start with the W8-BEN and go from there; alot of hoops but 30% is a big hit ...

Julian.

geo_n
06-21-2012, 05:14 AM
I got the ITIN way back for TS. I forgot the exact procedure but I remember I had to get my japanese passport recognized/notorized in the US embassy and sent that copy to the US IRS. Paid 30usd for the notary procedure. Got my ITIN after two weeks from the US IRS.
It wasn't so hard because the US embassy is within tokyo. For other sellers in russia it was really difficult living far away and they had to send their passport to the US embassy and get it back by snailmail both ways. Then send again the copy to US IRS by snail mail. :D Took months for some of them.
It is worth it to get that tax benefit.

JBT27
06-21-2012, 06:04 AM
It's slightly more tricky for us because it's a limited company we want to register ... so the passport becomes irrelevant, because companies don't have passports!

This is where this EIN number came in, but when we checked, we found that it seemed to be citing only US nationals, on the IRS site, and TS weren't that clear about it.

But yes, I fear this might be something of a long and confusing haul to get the right paperwork in place ... I could berate TS for not making it easier and more obvious, but then I guess the IRS are at the root of it, and reading their website isn't exactly a straightforward exercise ... talk about plain English ... NOT ... :D

Julian.

geo_n
06-21-2012, 10:56 PM
I see. There are some companies at TS.
Perspectx, Giimann, 3dmolier. They have thousands of models outsourced from china, russia, etc.
For it to be worth it for a company to be selling 3d models it has to be a huge library, 5k atleast. A few hundred won't cut it these days. Goodluck!

JBT27
06-22-2012, 02:16 AM
Thanks.

That's a fair point - any library approach requires alot of stock to make it worthwhile. However, we are looking more to very niche things, which may not be a big market, but an extra diversification for us.

I'd rather try than give up :D

Julian.