PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Surfaces, ultimate tablet design and tech.

geo_n
06-20-2012, 11:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jozTK-MqEXQ&feature=youtu.be

I'm sold.

akademus
06-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Is that pen pressure sensitive?

geo_n
06-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Looks like it. And the keyboard is also pressure sensitive.
A lot of innovative ideas in the product.

akademus
06-20-2012, 11:54 PM
hmmmm.... now it sounds interesting :)

Philbert
06-21-2012, 01:35 AM
My biggest question about this was whether the pen was pressure sensative but I can't find anything detailing whether it is or not. If it is I'm all for it.

ken_g9
06-21-2012, 03:04 AM
Surface with Windows 8 Pro is basically a 10.6" ultrabook, and will be priced in the ultrabook category. I hope they can squeeze in good hardware for graphics intensive applications to run (i.e. Lightwave :D)

Surface for Windows RT on the other hand is an iPad competitor, with its Nvidia ARM SOC (unidentified as of yet). The question for me is....will Newtek create a version of Lightwave that will run on the ARM based Windows RT? One can hope right? :D

Philbert
06-21-2012, 03:05 AM
According to Microsoft Most Windows based programs will also run on the RT version.

ken_g9
06-21-2012, 04:42 AM
That'll be good news if that's true. But as far as I know x86/64 based programs will have to be re-written to work on Metro for it to run on Windows RT.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/04/16/announcing-the-windows-8-editions.aspx

Something similar to the OSX and iOS platforms I guess. The only thing I see is that if a developer writes an application for Metro, it will work on both Windows 8 and Windows RT. So all the existing programs that would run on Windows 7 will work on Windows 8, but not on the Windows RT platform.

UnCommonGrafx
06-21-2012, 07:03 AM
I wish they would bypass the ARM and go with a mobile x86 chip; it's what we (consumers) want in the first place.

The ARM will put people off to wait for the next shoe to drop. Osbourne effect is now in play for me.

This is an enterprise-level device, I'll bet, more so than the IPad has achieved to date. This is really going to get interesting in the enterprise space.

Lightwolf
06-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Surface for Windows RT on the other hand is an iPad competitor, with its Nvidia ARM SOC (unidentified as of yet).
nVidia Tegra 3.
(it could be a Tegra 2, but that's unlikely)

Cheers,
Mike

Philbert
06-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Just watched this video again (from February). As I understand it programs that are written for RT will also work on Standard Win8. I may have misunderstood the bit about Win programs working on both that I mentioned above.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/09/microsoft-details-windows-for-arm-at-length-desktop-application/

Kuzey
06-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Surface v iPad intro:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSj8GUZDuac

The main problem with MS is that bold guy at the start, get rid of him and I'm sure they'll do great things.

:D

Kuzey

Edit...I forgot the smiley :P

ivanze
06-21-2012, 10:15 AM
The keyboard is for using Ctrl-Alt-Del. :D

UnCommonGrafx
06-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Yes!
Keyboards are essential for being taken seriously as a "Big Boy Toy".

Cryonic
06-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Surface Freezes During Presentation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK0GH_HqRjg

JCG
06-21-2012, 02:59 PM
While the pen might not be pressure sensitive, I love that the keyboard is. All the keyboards of the future should be pressure sensitive. If pressure sensitive keyboards were the standard, programs could do so many things so much more easily.

Mapping R, G, and B to 3 keys and, as you draw the stroke with the mouse, you're interactively changing the color with the keyboard. Map the 2 sliders of the radial falloff to 2 keys and adjust them interactively as you're dragging the Taper tool. Any tool that has sliders as parameters could become interactive.

geo_n
06-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Isn't the pen developed by wacom? The video shows the pen has an eraser like a wacom pen.

Philbert
06-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Watching the video I noticed that when he's done with the pen he connects it to a "magnetic charging connector" on the side of the Surface, That would tell me it's probably not made by Wacom since Wacom pens don't need power, well they do but they get it from the device wirelessly while being used.

ken_g9
06-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Could be, but no one knows for sure. The Galaxy Note S-Pen is a Wacom pen, as with the upcoming Galaxy Note 10.1, so it will not be surprising if the pen is from Wacom.

Philbert
06-22-2012, 12:01 AM
Oh is it? I assumed the S-Pen was nTrig. Good to know.

Dodgy
06-22-2012, 12:16 AM
I have a vague feeling Wacom hold the patent on using inductance to power the pen. Hence other pens have to be battery powered... Might be wrong though.

Lightwolf
06-22-2012, 03:14 AM
I have a vague feeling Wacom hold the patent on using inductance to power the pen. Hence other pens have to be battery powered... Might be wrong though.
That expired one or two years ago.

However, induction would thicken the display.

Cheers,
Mike

Skonk
06-22-2012, 03:23 AM
Watching the video I noticed that when he's done with the pen he connects it to a "magnetic charging connector" on the side of the Surface, That would tell me it's probably not made by Wacom since Wacom pens don't need power, well they do but they get it from the device wirelessly while being used.

I dont think he meant to charge the pen; I think it's just to have somewhere to clip it when your not using the pen.