PDA

View Full Version : Cool remake clip of Star Trek voyager intro

prometheus
06-17-2012, 07:45 AM
I thought this guy did some great work here trying to replicate or remake the Star Trek voyager intro...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTmLOKTZ9WQ

some things could probably be improved more given time and better hardware.

Nice work anyway.
Michael

vector
06-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Nice and cool, sure

xandercom
07-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks guys ;-) It's my work. Glad you enjoyed it!

Shnoze Shmon
07-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Some really nice ideas on improving it. I'm impressed by the attempt to duplicate let alone improve it.

One thing that stuck out for me was the shot flying over the Saturn type rings. The angle seemed low and I didn't catch the reflection present in the original. I always thought that shot was over the top cool.

But all in all fabulous work!:thumbsup:

Of all the Star Trek intros, I'd never thought of Voyager as one to try to improve, although, it certainly provides inspiration.

Now to improve on an intro like say Enterprise, that's easy. Silence and a blank screen.

When they announced the Enterprise tv series I thought "Wow I can't wait to see what they do for an intro that improves on Voyager."

What a bubble burst I had!

hunter
07-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Nice! I spent many hours back in the day trying to replicate Voyager flying through the nebula. I could never get those little whirlpools, vortices to form correctly with LW particle system though. Got close but no cigar. Love to know how it was really done.

DigitalSorcery8
07-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Extremely well done.

Just watched in in full screen HD and looks absolutely beautiful.

Yeah... this opening sequence HAS been improved. Great work! :thumbsup:

prometheus
07-17-2012, 05:18 AM
Nice! I spent many hours back in the day trying to replicate Voyager flying through the nebula. I could never get those little whirlpools, vortices to form correctly with LW particle system though. Got close but no cigar. Love to know how it was really done.

I think I got that worked out a little better than this guy actually did in this clip with the little whirlpool, unfortunatly that scene was on another computer wich is down for the moment so I canīt work on that now or I would have to set up a new scene.

Itīs a bit tricky thou using winds carefully, you can also use a directional wind with procedural texture to swirl in some cool ways.

Then itīs a hard part to have the particles close to each other and fade out when breaking up.

If turbulenceFD had better color tools for the smoke renderer, I would use that thou, but it doesnīt so it would look better still with voxels right now.

xandercom
07-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Some really nice ideas on improving it. I'm impressed by the attempt to duplicate let alone improve it.

One thing that stuck out for me was the shot flying over the Saturn type rings. The angle seemed low and I didn't catch the reflection present in the original. I always thought that shot was over the top cool.

But all in all fabulous work!:thumbsup:

Of all the Star Trek intros, I'd never thought of Voyager as one to try to improve, although, it certainly provides inspiration.

Now to improve on an intro like say Enterprise, that's easy. Silence and a blank screen.

When they announced the Enterprise tv series I thought "Wow I can't wait to see what they do for an intro that improves on Voyager."

What a bubble burst I had!

The change to the ring sequence was intentional. If you watch the original you will see that the ship is vastly out of proportion with the planet itself. As the camera pans up and voyager comes in to view, the planets and the rings are still moving in the background at such a speed that one second of frame seems to move the camera thousands of miles upwards, whilst voyager slides into view as if the camera has only moved upwards a few times the hight of the ship itself. This would then put the ship's size at a small continent! In order to remove that I decided to have the ship wait to fly in until the camera's upward motion had stopped. This also has the effect of removing voyager's reflection from the rings as the ship is now "correctly" placed a few hundred miles above the rings to scale.

There is method behind the madness ;-)

Also, the scene at the end with the eclipse.. firstly space is empty, so there should be no volumetric lighting effects seen in the middle, as if space is filled with some kind of atmosphere. I also disliked the way the shadow of the eclipsed planet seemed to suddenly illuminate the planet that Voyager is swinging around. This is crazy! as we all know an eclipse's shadow takes many hours to pass across the surface of the earth!
So again I chose to go with something more "realistic" on that front too, but again it's not strictly speaking accurate as I had to have the eclipsed planet pass completely infront of the sun within a matter of seconds to get the effect of the sun reappearing.

I also wanted to give the first sequence more depth by having the ship plow through the solar flair.. i intentionally left it ambiguous as to how big that flare is and what part of the sun it originates from. This was my answer to another gripe at the start of the real Voyager where the flair comes up at the end and consumes the camera. Judging by where the flair is coming from the surface it would be millions of miles wide and likely engulf the poor little voyager that just passed the camera!

The one thing I would have liked to improve on is the nebular scene, but there are only so many particles I could have on my system without each frame render starting to run into the hours. I compromised at 30 mins per frame. With 30 frames per second that equals about 15 hours of rendering time for 1 second of animation. Count the number of seconds and you do the math ;-) I have a 3.8ghz 6-core AMD processor with 16gb

:-)

Naways, hope ya'll enjoy it :)

prometheus
07-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Letīs first say that I was really impressed of the general look of the recration, so you do not get me wrong when discussing things that was a litte lesser and so on, and of course you have probably moved along to other things now maybe.

Yes as you mentioned that you might want to have worked more on the gas field wich voyager passes through.

What Im thinking of is noticable in both sunflares and the gasfield, it is that they seem a little blobby and something that you could probably improve with higher texture value to cut in to it, or decrease contrast on the hypertextures value, that would help.

Also a stretching value on y-axis will flatten out the field to look more gasous, than round blobs.

Im interesting to hear how you set up the vortex backdraft from the ship? it isnīt quite as pronounced as in the original thou, and I do not know how they aproached it actually.

I think I have tested several wind forces on the sides of a ship or so, but I think Itīs easier to simply have one nul, with a collison force to bounce away particles, on the same null you could add a dynamic wind with directional force, and in the directional force velocity, simply use procedural textures, I think that might give very nice vortex backdraft if you choose the right texture and scale etc.

Personally I do not se any direct issues with amount of particle handling, but that might be that my system can handle that better, I donīt know.

One thing you could also do on the gas field, the particle field that lies in the path of the vortex backdraft, could actually just be added in that area, so you do not have a huge field with the same amount of particles, it is really only needed for the vortex draft, the nearby gas unaffected could be with a few point clusters with bigger hv sizes, or nulls etc.

I Might post a simple sample scene for others to check basics at least, and work on to improve.

Michael