PDA

View Full Version : Surface: Nodes: gradient passing more than color?

jeric_synergy
06-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Regardez le zhjaypeg: The pictured network surfaces varying clones with a cycling array of colors. The Gradient node acts as a switcher for each clone instance. For debugging purposes, I've plugged images into the first 4 color inputs, so the first 4 clones get a number tiled across their Color channel.

This works fine for the COLOR channel, but what if I wanted to pass more than just the Color channel? The Gradient node doesn't have an all encompassing "Texture" input, nor does it have a Material input OR a Material output.

So, for more than just one channel, what does a node-meister use? :question:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Sensei
06-16-2012, 03:07 PM
If you want to pass material you can try using Flatten Material, then to Gradient, then plug output to Diffuse Shading.

jeric_synergy
06-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Does this essentially reduce a full Surface to a color channel?

What about specularity? Or reflection?

Sensei
06-16-2012, 03:19 PM
It's converting material input to color. Like "Flatten Layers" in Photoshop..

jeric_synergy
06-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks Sensei. However, that's not the issue here: what about all the other channels?

Sensei
06-16-2012, 03:30 PM
What happens with layers in Photoshop when you're using Flattern Layers? They're GONE. There is just one final RGB..

Same here..

If you're not using post-processing, don't have to think about it..

Sensei
06-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Like here - flattening material, then adding specularity and reflection that original material didn't have..

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=104977&stc=1&d=1339295567

jeric_synergy
06-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Well, thank you for the very intriguing network, but that still leaves the original question I think.

Because those other channels are not being modulated by the same factors as the gradient.

Sensei
06-16-2012, 04:17 PM
What other channels?

Specular, Reflection, Refraction of material do not exist anymore!

There is just one RGB.

jeric_synergy
06-16-2012, 09:10 PM
What other channels?
Specular, Reflection, Refraction of material do not exist anymore!
There is just one RGB.
Let's assume that I want a gradient to also modulate the other channels.

IOW, this solution is not adequate to the task I'm trying to accomplish.

I realize a Gradient can only pass Color, so I'm trying to find out how to modulate MORE than just color-- in fact, the entire Olde School "surface".

Sensei
06-16-2012, 11:23 PM
I thought that you want to pick up one of materials from the list connected to gradient.

Last post sounds like you want to change or modify one or more channels such as reflection part of material.

But what it has to do with gradient? Even if it would allow adding material, it would not work this way anyway.. Gradient is like giant multiple color mixer.

If you want to modify one of channels, then split material, modify one of them, then make material again.

RebelHill
06-17-2012, 04:02 AM
Have you tried ust using the material multi switch node in place of the gradient... should do what you're wanting.

jeric_synergy
06-17-2012, 10:20 AM
But what it has to do with gradient? Even if it would allow adding material, it would not work this way anyway.. Gradient is like giant multiple color mixer.
You can use Gradients as a switcher for a variety of things. In the attached
scene, it switches thru colors depending on the clone #, for instance.

(This same scene uses a Gradient to modulate rotation on a w.mapped object. Both SplineGod and Bryphii77 have come up with many innovative uses for Gradients beyond color mixing.)

In fact, I'd rather NOT use Materials, as I'm not conversant with them yet. While they may be the better way to do this, in Educational Mode it's still instructive to see how one might approach a very specific, if inefficient task.

Have you tried ust using the material multi switch node in place of the gradient... should do what you're wanting.
Very likely, in the end. However, still learning.

Sensei
06-17-2012, 11:33 AM
It's material gradient setup

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105144&stc=1&d=1339954345