PDA

View Full Version : Aura is like PShop, AEffects or WATH ?

eon5
10-26-2003, 06:21 AM
Im using AURA to convert RTV files to QTIme file format... and works fine... but really, i can understand what work-type will do.

I learn the manual and so on... but i can "catch" the concept!

Is a image manipulator like PS?
Can i work with layers, timeline and key frames in any spline editor like AE?
Is like DFusion or Combustion?

What can i do with this program!?

I lost my way! HELP PLEASE HELPPPPP!!! ;)

UnCommonGrafx
10-26-2003, 07:40 AM
What Aura is is a hybrid of all of the above.
It is very powerful once you get your brain around it and that take a dedicated effort. And a cool enough project. ;)

I would suggest you go to NewTek's site to check out some of the tutorials available.

Aura is a very capable program. It has replaced PShop for me, though it misses things in an area or two. Fortunately, I've learned to workaround the shortcomings.
It can be an AE-lite/DF-like type of program for less complex comps (and even complex ones, if you know what you are doing).

So, the answer: all of the above. ;)

eon5
10-28-2003, 08:14 AM
Will be used AURA like TOONZ ?

UnCommonGrafx
10-28-2003, 10:40 AM
Dunno Toonz....
Got a link?

eon5
10-28-2003, 10:53 AM
http://www.toonz.com

My wife works in a ink&paint and compositing production house, and she use TOONZ.

UnCommonGrafx
10-28-2003, 11:00 AM
Apples and oranges comparison, in my opinion.

Toonz is rather specialized for its niche of cartooning; Aura is focused on the videography crowd while being capable of being a cartooning platform.
There is an artist that uses Aura [Now, Mirage] by the name of Paul Frielinger (sorry if I mispelled your name, Paul) that talks of the joys of using Aura for handdrawn art work and cartooning -- you might seek him out at the Bauhous forum on Mirage. Perhaps he'll see this post.

eon5
10-28-2003, 12:47 PM
If any1 needs the link

Mirage forum (http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/phpBB2/index.php)

SBowie
10-28-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by UnCommonGrafx

Toonz is rather specialized for its niche of cartooning; Aura is focused on the videography crowd while being capable of being a cartooning platform. I truly hate to differ with Robert, but quite a number of traditional animators are keen on Aura/Mirage specifically for it's aptitude at what they seem to like to refer to as "paperless animation." If anything, the developers lean to that realm *more* than "simple" fx. You can see some samples in the vaious galleries...

Now that Mirage 1.0 is shipping, much of the emphasis for the next revisions will be on things like X-sheets, enhanced natural-media style drawing tools, and so on.

UnCommonGrafx
10-28-2003, 01:15 PM
I was HOPING someone would come in and disagree with me, Steve. :D

From my perspective, This Thang (tiring of the naming issue...) is quite capable of blowing a tool like toonz out of the water. Dhomas of Restaurant fame has provided some stunning tools to work in this field. I even have some of them and find them quite helpful for 'tooning. Ranger comes to mind...

Steve knows of what he speaks and I gladly stand corrected.
(Can't find a link on my box to the restAURAnt at the moment but will find it if needed...)

dhomas
10-28-2003, 04:36 PM
Here's the restaurant link:

SBowie
10-28-2003, 09:21 PM
Here's one example of a succesful studio that makes heavy use of Aura and now Mirage:

Lawson and Whathisname (http://www.whats.nl/)

UnCommonGrafx
10-28-2003, 10:16 PM
Damned,
That's fun!!

SBowie
10-29-2003, 08:07 AM
Yep, those guys are pretty good!

eon5
11-01-2003, 08:51 AM
How i can use Aura mainly for rotoscoping and cel animation ?

its better that AEffect ?

SBowie
11-01-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by eon5
How i can use Aura mainly for rotoscoping and cel animation ?

its better that AEffect ? Well, my first thought is that AE would be largely useless for those tasks, since it is completely lacking in bitmap painting tools (though I think it may have some vector based options, whether integrated or as extra cost plugins.) Still, the use of vector-based tools for cel animation would be pretty limiting I think.

OTOH, I may be overlooking something about AE, and since cel animation really isn't my realm I'll step aside if someone else wants to field this query...

toxotis70
11-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Do you know how to make something like RAM PREVIEW in AE 5.%
When i make a preview in aura 2.5c it doesn't playback in real time... (25 f/sec PAL)

SBowie
11-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by toxotis70
Do you know how to make something like RAM PREVIEW in AE 5.%
When i make a preview in aura 2.5c it doesn't playback in real time... (25 f/sec PAL)
How long is the clip, which Preview mode (Proxy, Realtime or Rendered) are you using, where is your temp file located, and what sort of hardware are you running?