PDA

View Full Version : IKBoost Locks

AbstractTech3D
06-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Hi There

I'm pretty new to IKBoost, and have been having this problem a lot:

Sometimes the controls for either rotate or move lock - that is to say the 3 values appear inside brackets, and right clicking to unlock them doesn't change anything.

To my inexperience - it just seems random that this happens. Sometimes restarting lightwave and re-opening the file seems to fix it.

Can anyone advise, please?

Thanks

SplineGod
06-15-2012, 01:47 AM
Is it on a mocap rig? Sometimes it can appear to do that if the rotations are off. Also, which object did you apply IKB to? Try applying it to the first obect.

AbstractTech3D
06-15-2012, 06:28 AM
Yes, its on a mocap rig.
And actually, thinking about it, I have observed that bones without mocap (i.e. hold bones) have not been effected this way.

How would one correct the rotations on a mocap rig, since all the mocapped key frames are in the rotation channels?

Have just tried ensuring that IKB is applied to the first object. And that seems to have worked.

Thanks Larry!

SplineGod
06-15-2012, 04:06 PM
My first suggestion is to get me on skype. Might be easier to solve it that way rather then try and troubleshoot over the forum.
I would also, just for fun, convert the bones to joints in the bone panel and see if that has any effect.

Ryan Roye
06-15-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm pretty new to IKBoost, and have been having this problem a lot:

Sometimes the controls for either rotate or move lock - that is to say the 3 values appear inside brackets, and right clicking to unlock them doesn't change anything.

I used to run into this all the time... at least for me, this was the solution I managed to scrounge up a year back:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=123398&highlight=ikbooster

Locking/unlocking can get very buggy in IKbooster, but knowing how to fix the problem as it comes makes things a lot less frustrating.

SplineGod
06-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks for that info. I cant recall ever running into that one. I wonder if its a Mac thing or if its on both.

Surrealist.
06-15-2012, 09:49 PM
AFAIK this is a long standing bug with IKB. Happens to me all the time. What I do do get out of it is to go out of IKB mode and simply grab a controller and move it around with the Lightwave move tool and undo. I do this until I can get back into IKB mode and not be stuck. Perhaps there is a more elegant solution. But I would say I am not new to IKB. Not as well versed as Larry, but experienced enough to have run into it often - daily - but never found the reason.

Edit - oops. Did not see the post above.

SplineGod
06-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Its weird because if that happened to me Id go nuts. Ive used it extensively with groups of people in production and simply never ran across it. Now that Im aware of it Ill report it as a bug. Im assuming Mike reported it when he was working on his film. He worked on that project on the Mac and at the time the Mac did have a lot more IKB problems then the PC version. Im also wondering if this is an issue thats shown up recently or in certain builds? If anyone else has encountered this please report it as a bug. :)

Surrealist.
06-15-2012, 11:43 PM
I have had this happening since 2008. I recently upgraded to 11 and it did the same thing. So this is not only on multiple builds but across a few machines even. To my recollection there have been numerous threads on it. But I have never seen a solution. It happens so often, in fact, I simply expect it and then do what I said, to circumvent.

Ryan Roye
06-16-2012, 04:46 AM
I'm using 9.6 on a PC.

Actually, I just remembered... I can say exactly why this happens:

When you lock an axis while in IKBooster mode (the lower left buttons, not right-click in 3d view), you are actually locking the axis globally, across all IKBooster-enabled objects... though technically not a bug, it is unintuitive enough to be considered a "problem" rather than a "feature". This can theoretically be useful for anyone who would want to temporarily lock an axis without actually having to lock them on any specific object.

http://www.delura.tanadrine.com/image_manualupload/IKboost_SecretButtons.jpg

Because IKBooster can activate itself when selecting between items (it isn't consistent), sometimes the user goes to disable an object's axis's via the lower-left buttons or the shift-f2-f4 hotkeys without realizing that they are disabling it globally... and ONLY in IKbooster mode!

If you're having trouble with an axis seeming to be "stuck" in IKBooster mode, look for greyed out boxes in the lower left corner and click them to activate, it will likely solve your issue. Note that if the axis is marked as being turned off in Lightwave, the button will only go from greyed out to un-highlighted... meaning at this point you have to either use the right-click method or get out of IKBooster mode to change it.

SplineGod
06-16-2012, 06:09 AM
Thats interesting to know. I dont think Ive worked that way which is why Ive probably never noticed it. :)
BTW, for anyone who might be interested. Heres a little walkcycle demo done with IKB.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf9zIdMC2MU&feature=plcp

Ryan Roye
06-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Through my learning experience I found that there are those few certain quirks that must be overcome about IKBooster's interface before it becomes an even more powerful tool... though click-dragging by itself is enough to get me addicted. One other tip: If you duplicate an IKBooster-enabled object and find the duplicate's controls just aren't working (it happens sometimes), delete IKBooster in object-properties/geometry tab and re-add it and it will fix the issue.

By the way, glad to have you back Splinegod! Nice to have another IKBooster enthusiast around, and i've heard a lot about you and your work :)

SplineGod
06-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Thanks! Good to be back. :)
I agree that IKB does have its quirks but are generally easy to get past. The interface quirks I think are not so much quirks as the programmers way of working (he was also an animator and developed IKB for other animators in Japan).
Were used to dealing with CA tools that are not necessarily concentrated in one place or even a logical place from a workflow standpoint. We have to hit the m key and then go to different tabs to change things and delving down thru menus is tedious and interrupts my workflow.
IKB has its menus hidden in plane sight. Anything that has to do with nodes is right there at any node by right clicking on the node. Channel menus are are there by right clicking on a channel, next to the node.
If Im editing or managing animation in the dopetrack I can access the keyframe menu by right clicking anywhere in the dopetrack on a particular keyframe. To do operations on multiple keyframes I right click and drag in the dopetrack thru the appropriate keys and again, a menu pops up that allow operations that apply to a range of keyframes.
Changing keyframe modes also allows the dopetrack to control ALL keys at once in a rig, children of a particular item in a chain, parents of an item in a chain or simply that item only. Its quite elegant and to do the same thing in the dopesheet requires the whole massive dopesheet editor to be open. Its not elegant. Basically I can do pretty much anything, change the rig on the fly, edit and mange animations, save/load/copy/paste poses, motion clips from a part of a character or the whole character without having to leave the layout viewport or have the viewport hidden by popup menus interrupting workflow. I guess were all used to popup menus, pull down list etc but I find IKBs interface and workflow to be much faster and far less obtrusive. What confused me at first about it was I expected it to get in my face the way many things usually do. :)

Surrealist.
06-16-2012, 11:06 AM
+1 Great to see you back Larry.

In my opinion, I can not imagine animating in LightWave without IKB. What most people don't realize is you can have a standard IK rig and use IKB. Not to bring up those old drawn out debates again. But just as Larry points out, it is designed for animators. And there are so many advantages to IKB that it behooves one to design a rig that takes advantage of it. I have always been able to get around the quirks.

I am not now animating in LightWave. But a few months ago I had returned to LW and began designing rigs again for this purpose. I decided to drop LightWave for the project because of other reasons. But this may come as a shocker. It was not because of limited animation tools. I would have been completely happy with my IKB/IK hybrid rig if other LightWave tools were giving me what I wanted.

It is a testament to how well designed IKB was in light of complete lack of NT support for it.

SplineGod
06-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Ive begun to use IKB to manage animation on things like hand controllers which are using expressions to drive fingers etc. Makes it much easier to manage animation that way. :)

3djock
06-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Where is IKboost in 11?

SplineGod
06-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Same place its always been. :)
It an be applied in two places:
Under the modify tab far down the toolbar on the left
or
apply it directily to the root object in the object properties panel.