PDA

View Full Version : Looking for version 5.0 to 5.6

SRC1
06-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Hello All,

I'm modifying some very old graphics data (Independence War 2 - Edge of Chaos) and have reason to believe that I need LightWave 5.6 or earlier for compatibility with the game engine.

Does anyone still have this old software and would he/she be willing to sell me his/her license to it?

Thanks,

SRC1

OnlineRender
06-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Can you not just save out as lw 5 what is the issue excatly

DelendaMaximus
06-14-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm pretty sure I have a copy (at least I have the manuals!)

SRC1
06-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Hi Online Render,

At this point, I don't know why the older LW is needed. I'm new to 3D graphics/modelling; have been coding in the "Edge of Chaos" game system for several months, and have discovered that I want to add some additional 3D objects. The community of modders has withered away to almost nothing, but there is an extensive library of discussions dating back to the early 2000s, and the consensus of the graphics modders at the time was that LW 5.x was the latest one dared to employ. I do not have LW at all at the moment, and am reluctant to purchase a more recent license in view of the possibility that the outputs may not work properly. And the project is not so valuable that it makes sense to purchase a costly very new license.

Forgive my ignorance, but do more recent versions of LW permit export in such old formats? I really am green, as you see.

There is one remaining graphics modder working on this project, and I have sought his counsel about this. There must be a few old copies of this software for sale somewhere; perhaps patience will be rewarded.

ccclarke
06-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Here's a little LW3D model saved in Version 5 format. If you can tell me what it is after you add it to your game, then you're good to go with a less expensive version of the software.

Saving as a LW 5 file is as easy as selecting,

File>Export>Export Lightwave 5

I've seen older versions of LW pop up on eBay occasionally for less than a quarter of a 10-over speeding ticket.

CCC :thumbsup: