PDA

View Full Version : Leapmotion - We want this on Lightwave :)

silviotoledo
06-14-2012, 06:37 AM
http://www.leapmotion.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4agmo48rWKY

vector
06-14-2012, 07:01 AM
WOW! Then I can shoot with my finger :)

Philbert
06-14-2012, 10:21 PM
This thing is popping up all over. I'm waiting for reviews to pass judgement but I think your arm would get tired very fast, thus messing with the accuracy. For $70 and usability in any software or computer it may well be worth it anyway.

cresshead
06-15-2012, 12:22 PM
i've yet to find anything as versatile as the thing below for interacting with a computer and it's applications.

http://www.aerocooler.com/products/MSMSOPK_m.jpg

Philbert
06-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Well to be fair a mouse is only 2D while this thing is 3D so it might be better for us 3D artists in some ways.

metahumanity
06-15-2012, 01:13 PM
This thing is popping up all over. I'm waiting for reviews to pass judgement but I think your arm would get tired very fast, thus messing with the accuracy. For $70 and usability in any software or computer it may well be worth it anyway.

IMO the possibility to do accurate hand/finger mocap..and maybe even facial...is much more interesting than using it as an input device.

Or imagine puppeteering a 3d character with it.

This could be very interesting if it comes with the right software hooks for plugins, or just full gesture/shortcut linking.

Snosrap
06-15-2012, 01:47 PM
My hands were getting tired just watching the video.

cresshead
06-15-2012, 01:59 PM
IMO the possibility to do accurate hand/finger mocap..and maybe even facial...is much more interesting than using it as an input device.

Or imagine puppeteering a 3d character with it.

This could be very interesting if it comes with the right software hooks for plugins, or just full gesture/shortcut linking.

:thumbsup:

yeh that would be useful , if a some what limited market for them to go into.

calilifestyle
06-15-2012, 03:19 PM
My hands were getting tired just watching the video.

hehe to funny, i agree.

metahumanity
06-15-2012, 04:38 PM
:thumbsup:

yeh that would be useful , if a some what limited market for them to go into.

Id imagine 3rd parties to do that, similar to whats happening with Kinect.

ivanze
06-15-2012, 04:46 PM
But what first?? This or better clothfx?? :D

TechnoBill
06-15-2012, 05:39 PM
As someone that has been involved in the design of various tuch screen applications, I wonder if this people suspend their arms on strings from the roof so they dont get tired. If you have your ands above your elbows for a prolonged amount of time fatiques definately sets in.
Also I dont think many people have a PC environment like mine which involves a 55 inch monitor on a wall and I sit back 6 feet or so in a comfy chair with a console in front of me for the mouse and keyboard. So moves for things like this and windows 8 metro with are aimed at you being up next to the screen are heading in the wrong direction.

One thing that would be awesome while in Lighwave though would be oto be modelling with the mouse and then with the otherhand using realistic gestures be able to grab and pull or puch to zoom in and out, or with another gesture grab and rotate the view.
I know there are other devices around that allow these controls but something thet would allow true 1 to 1 real world movements would be very useful and easy to use.

For example imagine i am trying to select points around an object and while selecting with the mouse I could hold up my other hand make a grasping motion like hanging onto a tennis ball and rotate or move my hand my hand as I would in real life and have the object rotate exactly the same amount and direction as if I was holding it, or grab it and pull towards me to zoom in.
These non scaled actions would be natural, predictable and easy to learn with an accurate device.

hmmm One day

Ernest
06-15-2012, 06:24 PM
I have a friend who can't hear and we can talk all afternoon and I've never felt like my arms were in pain or anything like that.

Ryan Roye
06-15-2012, 07:47 PM
The device won't work because it is not ergonomic... there is no surface to rest the hands on.

The idea of the ability to physically interact with information, images, and content is a very exciting idea, but not one that has been done correctly or reliably enough IMO.

That, and this technology is only as good as the software that supports it... perhaps there are applications that I couldn't possibly think of that this method of control would be beneficial to use on? The only advantage I can really think of is manipulating and displaying images quickly and efficiently (if not comfortably).

Philbert
06-15-2012, 10:04 PM
That, and this technology is only as good as the software that supports it...

They say it works with anything that supports touch control, like a laptop touch pad. So that's pretty much every app that already supports it.

djwaterman
06-16-2012, 04:36 AM
Of all the things we need for Lightwave this is not one of them.

UnCommonGrafx
06-16-2012, 05:58 AM
Hadn't thought of that...

Yeah, I guess there is the point that hands held above the elbow for extended periods of time doesn't fatigue those who speak with their hands.

Thanks for the 'Duh!' moment.

I have a friend who can't hear and we can talk all afternoon and I've never felt like my arms were in pain or anything like that.

Ryan Roye
06-16-2012, 07:10 AM
They say it works with anything that supports touch control, like a laptop touch pad. So that's pretty much every app that already supports it.

The power glove could be configured to be used with most NES games... ... ... we all know how that turned out :)

The price ain't bad at least... the average computer tablet costs more than that. I suppose it could be a budget control solution for those who want hand-controlled functionality without the cost.

SBowie
06-16-2012, 07:22 AM
Yeah, I guess there is the point that hands held above the elbow for extended periods of time doesn't fatigue those who speak with their hands.It's an interesting point, but in all of my work environments, I'd have to have my hands elevated to roughly shoulder height (and often higher) to use this. I suspect there's less effort involved in motions performed with wrist and elbow rotation only, upper arm at rest. I could probably perform some operations with my elbows on my chairs armrests, but I'm pretty sure that in many cases this wouldn't provide the full range needed for useful input.

I think once you have to involve the upper arm over extended periods this becomes a different proposition (of course maybe we'd all be in much better shape as a result). :p

UnCommonGrafx
06-16-2012, 07:26 AM
My take on this for use here is as Metahumanity and Technobill stated above.
That is to say, I want it to do the "Tennis Ball Turn" TM, in LW.
As a teacher, the WOW factor in this will be awesome. As well, as one who signs as he teaches, this may actually be a godsend for me as my hands are already in the air. ;)
The finger tech really is what I'm enamored of as that will assist, if mocap-able, in doing sign language dictionaries and animations.
The imagination runs wild with such thoughts.

UnCommonGrafx
06-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Hahahaha,
Steve, the term that came to mind on reading this is Waddle.

hahaha

SBowie
06-16-2012, 07:36 AM
Steve, the term that came to mind on reading this is Waddle.I was thinking of Baron Harkonnen ... still, I think it would be a long day in a chair at a desk with your hands at chin height. That said, I'll certainly buy one of these if they work out, as a supplemental input device.

UnCommonGrafx
06-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Hahaahaha,

YES!!

I had a few... local-to-me people in mind but this suffices for a shared understanding. (Busting a gut here.)

I have three on pre-order now that we've shared this thought. hahaha

silviotoledo
06-20-2012, 08:49 AM
better Cloth simulation first :)!
Then this. So you will be able to tear the fabric with your own hands!

Not that this is really necessary, just to stay tunned with new possibilities this open for CG.

Actually this would be usefull for doing spaceships: Take our toy and start playing in front of Lightwave and the motion will be transfered :).

Also usefull for camera control :).

Not for long time use that make arms tired.
Why don't the conductor of an orchestra get tired?

Ray Connif will also buy it!