PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #175 - Carnivals

VictoryX
06-14-2012, 05:36 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge #176 - Carnivals

Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave must be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's .

This week's topic is: Carnivals
Carnivals, Fairs & Festivals they're fun and entertaining. So do your best to show the fun and awesomeness in your models.

Ferris Wheels, Bumper Cars, mallet games, junk food and more. Just a couple ideas to get the juices flowin.

Time limit: 60 minutes
Deadline: Wed. 20th June 2012. 22:00 G.M.T.

VictoryX
06-14-2012, 05:38 AM
Forgot to change the challenge number on the topic title. Anyone know how to change it?

Kuzey
06-14-2012, 07:02 AM
You can't...but an admin can.

Ooooh...bumper cars :)

Kuzey

Oedo 808
06-15-2012, 04:27 PM
This should be a good challenge, I have an idea at which I shall probably fail miserably, but it's all good practice :)

akaracquel
06-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Face Mask :)

http://slaughterhouse.com.au/LW/SPEED/176/mask01.jpg

http://slaughterhouse.com.au/LW/SPEED/176/mask02.jpg

JoePoe
06-15-2012, 10:28 PM
akaraquel - beautiful!!

(also, you need to pop over to the last challenge for a sec :))

akaracquel
06-16-2012, 04:10 AM
I'm almost tempted to turn that into a mini speed challenge, Joe Poe :D :beerchug:

XswampyX
06-17-2012, 03:34 AM
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/BumperCars2_Small.jpg

Where did i leave mine?

Bigger version.....

sublimationman
06-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Well I seriously ran out of time. I had to redo a few major sections due to a mathematical error early on that made everything off slightly.

I will finish this but here is all I got in an hour.

Bax33
06-17-2012, 09:12 PM
I sure wish I could render like akaracquel. Your renders are awesome. Brilliant colors, they always cheer me up.

Nice detail sublimationman. Looking forward to the finished model and render

I thought I'd give a go at the kiddie coaster. Not as detailed as it should be, but the coaster and track took me just inside an hour. The trestle took another 60-90 minutes to construct on 500 meters of track. Something tells me with a little more planning I could have done the track and trestle at the same time. The rendering? Well, what better way to spend father's day. :D

JoePoe
06-18-2012, 10:05 AM
whoa... getting a bit complex in here. :)
Good job ya'll.

I'm at 60 min. Almost there.....
(my other choice was the ferris wheel.... Sublimation, you're scaring me!:D)

warre
06-18-2012, 02:36 PM
akaracquel love you...r mask and XswampyX hate you...r one two three... ...**** loads of bumbercars. Brilliant work folks. :)

R.Feeney
06-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Nice work here:thumbsup:

sublimationman
06-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Modeling done (mostly) but surfacing needs work.

Thanks for the complements.

JoePoe, I use to work on Skee-Ball machines for a living. Very cool.

Oh and as always, great work Swampy, remember I have dibs on your brain when you are done with it.

akaracquel
06-19-2012, 02:34 AM
Great work! :thumbsup:

Where did i leave mine?

XswampyX - is that like a Where's Wally challenge with the bigger picture? I can't see where you left it! :D

@Bax 33 - let me know if you have access to photoshop or GIMP if you're interested in a brief outline of methods I use with colour which might help out ;)

@JoePoe - that's the game I would've tackled if I could do 3D gymnastics like you can! Dang. Fond memories ^_^

Iain
06-19-2012, 03:01 AM
Good stuff folks. akaracquel, that mask render is superb!

Got my reference but I don't know where to start.............

akaracquel
06-19-2012, 03:35 AM
I don't know where to start.............

I'd love to see at least one feather in the wireframe, please! ^_^

Bax33
06-19-2012, 08:11 AM
@Bax 33 - let me know if you have access to photoshop or GIMP if you're interested in a brief outline of methods I use with colour which might help out ;)

akaracquel - I got photoshop not too long ago, but haven't had much time to learn it. But I'm sure any guidance you can provide will help. Thanks

Oedo 808
06-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Nice work folks, some very vibrant entries. :cool:

Iain, I'd like to see that one as an entry, looks like a subject that you'd need to study at length. Not sure where I'd start either though. :D

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105174&d=1340118331

Iain
06-20-2012, 02:40 AM
Ah my eyes!

Settled on something simpler, a carnival stall. 60 minutes modelling......

Iain
06-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Render without the silly people...............

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1097/carnivallz.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/210/carnivallz.jpg/)

JoePoe
06-20-2012, 01:09 PM
ah.... you beat me to the red stripes!
Nice render Iain!! Love the translucency.

So, spent a little more time adding a few greebley things and promptly fell down the rabbit hole that is texturing.... I'm out, but it's done (for now :screwy:) so posting.

JoePoe
06-20-2012, 01:23 PM
and forgot to say......

mmmmmmm.... feathers :hey: :)

sublimationman
06-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Ian, I remember those seemingly un-popable balloons.

JoePoe
06-20-2012, 04:14 PM
oooh, I think I'm 14 minutes late.

1 hr.

akaracquel
06-20-2012, 04:28 PM
and promptly fell down the rabbit hole

Marvelous details, Joe Poe! :) :thumbsup:

Oedo 808
06-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Nice job on the stand, Iain, the lens flared bulbs do a lot for the image too, going by the one on the right this must be a memory from the 80's :D

Cool renders JoePoe, that machine turned out really well there :thumbsup:

Ian, I remember those seemingly un-popable balloons.
Yeah me too, the best thing was... wait, which picture are we talking about here? :p

Nice work on the Ferris wheel.

I was always going to be too late to post a render, but I still don't know where the time disappeared to on my attempt. Always used to head straight for this at a funfair, probably still would if I saw one these days. Was finishing off the Uzi but I ******* crashed LW through improper use of a tool, and with Rounder giving me plenty of grief, it's been a bad LW day.

VictoryX
06-21-2012, 05:47 AM
Great entries everyone, cool week.

akaracquel - Nice mask, texturing is great and I'm always impressed with organic modeling.

XswampyX - That is a hell of a lot of bumper cars. Great work on the modeling.

sublimationman - It's to bad you couldn't get it finished within the hour, but awesome it's that you took on such a complex object.

Bax33 - Great coaster model, it reminds me of roller coaster tycoon. Loved that game.

JoePoe - The skiball game came out amazing.The texture work really bring it to life. It also looked like you were getting a great start on your Ferris Wheel.

Iain - Glad to see someone did a prize vendor. Great modeling and texture work. The lighting in this really sets it off.

Oedo 808 - It's to bad ya crashed and lost your work. The arcade game looked like it was coming along great.

This was a hard week to pick someone, there were so many really great models to choose from. But without further adieu this weeks winner is...

JoePoe for his skiball table entry. Very clean modeling, simple design and great textures that made it pop. Awesome work Joe.

Titus
06-21-2012, 06:33 AM
Good stuff folks. akaracquel, that mask render is superb!

Got my reference but I don't know where to start.............

It seems you need rounder :D.

Lot of detail in that dress, it takes months to create one in real life.

Titus
06-21-2012, 06:37 AM
Face Mask :)

http://slaughterhouse.com.au/LW/SPEED/176/mask01.jpg

http://slaughterhouse.com.au/LW/SPEED/176/mask02.jpg

Nice model, great texturing and render. Really appealing work. I'm a sucker for handmade masks, I've a collection at home.

Kuzey
06-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Man...where did the time go :)

Great models this week & congrats JoePoe!

Kuzey

Iain
06-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Well done JoePoe. Great entry!

JoePoe
06-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks everyone! :beerchug:

I'm going to assume that VictoryX was going off of the 1hr wires and not so much the final render which did have stuff added. (above all else, I want to be straight-up and fair :)).

See you at the next one.

Bax33
06-21-2012, 06:15 PM
(above all else, I want to be straight-up and fair :)).

That's definitely not a carney quote. Congrats JoePoe. Very nice model!!

Samoht VII
06-22-2012, 04:05 AM
well did i ever run out of time. Managed to get everything done under an hour but just never really found time to get this in before the deadline. Oh well. Slapped some textures on and got it out there. Really wish i could get it to turn out better. Had a vision in my head that it would appear to have a control panel for a huge fireworks display so kinda got there. More practice i think.