PDA

View Full Version : Easy question--line to line poly magics!

Coldwaite
06-13-2012, 02:38 AM
:help:

I realize this is a really, really easy question, but I don't know where to go to find the answer. I have a series of polygon planes like the two in this image. I want to create a polygon between these two edges. How do I do that?

The way I'm doing it now is to select all of the points, then use 'p' to make a polygon. This is hit or miss though, and requires that I carefully select all four points and not any other points. It would be easier to just drag across two lines to select them (which would therefore have four points), then invoke something to generate the intermediate poly.

This is so obvious. So how do I do that?

Thanks!

evenflcw
06-13-2012, 03:04 AM
Look for the Bridge command.

Coldwaite
06-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Well I thought I tried that, but holy snot, that worked!!
Thank you evenflcw!

Silkrooster
06-14-2012, 12:29 AM
When it is a single poly thats needed, I usually just select the 4 point and hit p.

zardoz
06-14-2012, 08:46 AM
it's easier to select the two edges and use bridge. it's faster and you only need to go from first edge to the second edge.

Coldwaite
06-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Right, that's exactly what I was looking for. I've been using the four+point+p approach forever. This is a lot easier, especially when you have a lot of stitching to do.

jeric_synergy
06-16-2012, 12:54 PM
When it is a single poly thats needed, I usually just select the 4 point and hit p.
If you want to be really lazy, you can download "Perspicacious Quads", which attempts to always create a "good" quad no matter what the order of selection is used.

PQ also works with ::test test test::.... ngons, and it seems to work at least as well as MAKE POLY (you can make it fail, but it takes some work), so you might consider using it as a straight replacement to MAKE POLY (which I'd keep around in the menues just in case). That is, map "p" to PQ instead of MAKE POLY.

--I see that I wasn't quite that daring, but I did map SHIFT+Q to PQ for quick access.