PDA

View Full Version : audio "Profanity" delay while streaming

Digitlmn
06-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Is anyone aware of a unit I can use to introduce a audio delay in a streaming session. During our streaming we want to be able to take phone calls, and be able to introduce a delay in case someone starts cussing.

Thanks in advance.

jmmultex
06-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but won't you need to delay both audio and video to do this with sync? Are looking for a device that handles both?

Thanks,
John

ted
06-18-2012, 09:03 PM
You're right John.
I remember in the old days we rigged an elaborate feed between two massive 2" Quad machines to create a 6 second delay.
When a new guy wouldn't run it properly we'd end up with 100's of feet of tape on the floor! :cursin:

Digitlmn
06-19-2012, 10:21 AM
John youre right I need both audio and video delay just can't find a system that works with a stream or how to make it work on the stream output of the tricaster. Ted, I don't think the smithsonian will let me borrow 2x 2" quad machines :).

webslave
06-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Something like this would be fine:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Eventide-BD931-BD932-Broadcast-Delay-Vintage-Rack-/170622943296?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b9eb8040#ht_500wt_971

Since you're only taking calls the vision isn't really a problem - you basically just want to be able to dump the audio.

Otherwise, do something like running a stream into and out of VLC and setting the delay/caching to a couple of seconds.

jmmultex
06-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Something like this would be fine:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Eventide-BD931-BD932-Broadcast-Delay-Vintage-Rack-/170622943296?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b9eb8040#ht_500wt_971

Since you're only taking calls the vision isn't really a problem - you basically just want to be able to dump the audio.

Just to clarify the thinking behind my previous comment:.

If the program being aired is a video production with audio call in, it may be difficult to delay just the audio of the callers. Any conversational delay over 2 seconds becomes very noticeable - and you would probably need over twice that time window to safely operate a cutout. Hypothetically, this would mean that every time the host of the show asks a question of the caller, there would be a 5 second delay before a reply is heard. If there is supposed to be interactivity with the caller, an audio only delay might not work. If it is just someone calling in, asking a question, and hanging up, you might be able to mask it in the production framework so it becomes less obvious.

I want to be clear that this isnt something i've needed to do - the FCC doesnt fine you for profanity in web broadcasts - so this is just my perspective here. I am sure there are far more experienced people on this board that could give you suggestions based on real world experienced.

I'll see what I can find that might work with a web stream - it will need to split the audio from the video to process it this way.

Best,
John

ted
06-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Ted, I don't think the smithsonian will let me borrow 2x 2" quad machines :).

Probably true. :grumpy: