PDA

View Full Version : Simple object rendering background.

Samoht VII
06-12-2012, 02:13 AM
I just have a simple hypothetical that will give me an idea about how to get realistic renders.

Say I have modeled a can of coke. Not too difficult to imagine. How would everyone go about providing a background and lighting.
I simply enclose it in a box and remove the top and front edges and flip it all so it creates a stage like enclosure. Then i pretty much add one point light and render.
So i'm wondering what everyone else does. I feel like my way is too simple to be the best way. I have seen examples where 4 planes are adding (Like a window) and then the luminosity is turned up max.
Also how many lights is a good amount. Obviously that is personal preference but as I am relatively new to rendering I really have no idea so i stick with a point light and the default spotlight. Is there a 'best' light to use when rendering a single small object on the ground.

I guess i will attach my render and it may be easier to get an idea of how i can improve the render.
Oh yeah it wasn't a hypothetical :P
Maybe i'm being hard on myself but it seems like the environment is lacking.

Anyways thanks for the help.

Builtdown
06-12-2012, 02:29 AM
I use only area lights and spherical lights.

Put 2-3 arealights around the can, but turn shadows off except from the main light.
Turn radiosity on.
Add something around the can to give reflections (like luminous polys you mentioned).

The plank floor texture looks too small compared to the can. Maybe model the planks and add the texture to that. It will look better.

Samoht VII
06-12-2012, 02:55 AM
I use only area lights and spherical lights.

Put 2-3 arealights around the can, but turn shadows off except from the main light.
Turn radiosity on.
Add something around the can to give reflections (like luminous polys you mentioned).

The plank floor texture looks too small compared to the can. Maybe model the planks and add the texture to that. It will look better.

Ah that awesome advice. The reason i never added more lights was because the shadows would be going every where. Never though/Didn't know i could turn them off.
Yeah the floor is a little bit off haha.
Thanks