PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Group Announces V-Ray Application SDK with completely new API for Third Party A

realgray
06-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Ok programmers, lets get on this.

http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/news.html?single=495

speismonqui
06-11-2012, 05:54 PM
am I deaming?

Could take a little while: "The V-Ray Application SDK is expected to be available in Q3 2012."

Great News, I guess it's safe to say that ChaosGroup won't make a VRay for LW anytime soon.

silviotoledo
06-12-2012, 07:45 AM
yeah! They will not do a LW plugin, but who will do will sell several licences!

I want the LW to Vray exporter!

rcallicotte
06-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Hey, this could be good news...or maybe Newtek will appear magically with the unknown something or other, popping wonderfully out of the magic top hat as the brilliant rabbit of a great render Lightwave beauty saying, "Ahhhh, what's up doc?"

I hope you got it, Newtek!

And I'm looking at this anyway, either way.

Lightwolf
06-12-2012, 08:50 AM
I want the LW to Vray exporter!
Do you want an exporter or VRay integrated into LW? ;)

Cheers,
Mike

scratch33
06-12-2012, 08:54 AM

Cheers,
Mike

Vray integrated in lw please.

:thumbsup:

silviotoledo
06-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Cheers,
Mike

Integraded :) is better, but an exporter is also usefull.

any chance to have exr trader working on Vray? once it will be integrated :)

djwaterman
06-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Seriously. I've been learning Vray inside of Maya and it's...impressive. Yes, if someone makes a LW integrated plugin, it's on my shopping list. How cool would Lightwave be with Kray and Vray hanging off it, I'd imagine very cool.

cresshead
06-12-2012, 09:13 AM
that's a pretty big development job...support for vray camera's, lights and materials as well as "the renderer" if it's inside of lightwave.

i'm sure that would take at least a weekend of coding from mr wolf!:D

Lightwolf
06-12-2012, 09:21 AM
that's a pretty big development job...support for vray camera's, lights and materials as well as "the renderer" if it's inside of lightwave.

i'm sure that would take at least a weekend of coding from mr wolf!:D
As mentioned in the other thread... I'd expect it to take roughly a year until a first, solid, release.
Which would still need to be financed somehow of course.

Cheers,
Mike

silviotoledo
06-12-2012, 09:49 AM
As mentioned in the other thread... I'd expect it to take roughly a year until a first, solid, release.
Which would still need to be financed somehow of course.

Cheers,
Mike

So, let's start a crowd funding :).
but one year is too much :)

djwaterman
06-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Crowd funding might be a way to go if promoted correctly. If you don't hit your target it shows there's no sizable potential user-base, although I myself would buy it but probably not contribute to crowd funding so I might be wrong on this. It would be worth waiting for, Vray is what production is using now. The life this would pump back into Lightwave would be significant, you'd hope Newtek might see that.

Lightwolf
06-12-2012, 09:58 AM
So, let's start a crowd funding :).
but one year is too much :)
It's too early anyhow. The SDK hasn't been released yet and even then one would need to discuss the licensing details for VRay binaries that ship to customers.

Siggraph seems to provide a good opportunity for that.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
06-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Crowd funding might be a way to go if promoted correctly. If you don't hit your target it shows there's no sizable potential user-base, although I myself would buy it but probably not contribute to crowd funding so I might be wrong on this.
It's probably the only viable way to do this outside of NT as an independent third party (as opposed to somebody employed by, say, a studio or so).

Cheers,
Mike

BERSEKAEL
06-12-2012, 12:19 PM
I am glad we are on this :)

Personally I am very happy rendering in Vray (and 3D studio), using my models from LW10 ( I wont upgrade, no need for just modeling), and if we could finally render straight (no 3rd party softwares in between) then LW will be a hit.

djwaterman
06-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Hey Mike, out of curiosity, what's a realistic ballpark figure to actually throw time and people at it and make it happen, provided it was all okay to go ahead and all that. Are we talking 6 figures?

Lightwolf
06-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Hey Mike, out of curiosity, what's a realistic ballpark figure to actually throw time and people at it and make it happen, provided it was all okay to go ahead and all that. Are we talking 6 figures?
As a ballpark, something around 50,000 - likely a bit more.
Assuming that a vray OEM license costs US$300, that'd be 100 licenses sold at US$800. It'd need to be more sales though to pay for future development as well as support. And maybe a little profit as well.

Now you may say... 100 licenses isn't a lot - I'd argue that for this price it is given the size of the market for LW third parties (I won't reveal any sales figures, but you'd be surprised at the number of, relatively cheap, exrTrader licenses sold in the past 5 years).

Cheers,
Mike

realgray
06-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Well you can be pretty sure someone is going to start on one for modo. LW really needs to get in on this.

3dworks
06-13-2012, 12:59 AM
from the news release:

"Supported Operating Systems:
Windows (64-bit)
Linux (64-bit)"

bah.

battery555
06-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Been longing for this to come to pass. Vray integrated with LW. Please don't leave the Mac user behind...

Lightwolf
06-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Please don't leave the Mac user behind...
Unlikely, if you look at the post before yours. :(

Cheers,
Mike

djwaterman
06-14-2012, 02:59 AM
Okay, just going to put out some possible way to get this funded. If a list of known Lightwave using companies was got together somehow (I would not have a clue), and an email letter/offer was sent out proposing interested parties submit pre-payments of say $200 under the agreement that they are in effect putting money down on a future LW Vray product.

When the product is ready for sale they pay the balance to get it, perhaps they also get a discount price as an incentive. This would be one of those drives where if a target amount of development funds isn't reached by a specific date, all money is refunded back to the participants.

So the pitch is selling them on how awesome the LW pipeline becomes with Vray included, how it will bring LW in step with all the other major industry players, the quality of renders and all that tech stuff, how LW would be a superior Archvis tool with Vray and so on.

Maybe the pitch letter is a link to a crowd funding site where the proposal is fully outlined.

If you can get 250 contributers you can get the funds, is that possible? I don't know, but there are a lot of users in all sorts of corners of the world, getting a list of mail-outs would be the hardest thing, so it might be the sort of thing where you suggest the receiver forward or send a link to someone who they think would also be interested.

This probably sounds like wishy washy dreaming stuff but I'm just putting it down so it can be considered or dismissed. I sure would like to see Vray included into LW's future.

Andy Meyer
06-14-2012, 01:06 PM
i'm very interested to spend money for LW Vray.
but i want Vray integreated into LW, no LW to Vray export for me plase.
it would be very cool if LWvray could import materials from max and c4d vray.

@lightwolf, i use exrtrader and shadermeister so i know db&w makes really good plugins. i would like to have a serious company like yours to make lw vray!!!

Hieron
06-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Interesting..

I'd buy it Mike, so you need only 99 more to break even :)

geo_n
06-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Well you can be pretty sure someone is going to start on one for modo. LW really needs to get in on this.

Modo might be competing against vray soon.
http://www.jacobobarreiro.com/jweb/moma/

Looks to be well integrated into maya.

archijam
06-15-2012, 02:41 AM
I would be in, Monsieur Wolf ! :thumbsup:

Modo might be competing against vray soon.

Excuse my skepticism, but converting the modo shader tree is probably going to be a problem sooner or later.

archijam
06-15-2012, 02:43 AM

geo_n
06-15-2012, 06:27 AM
I would be in, Monsieur Wolf ! :thumbsup:

Excuse my skepticism, but converting the modo shader tree is probably going to be a problem sooner or later.

That's the beauty of it. It skips the shadertree and you do your setup within maya. Render like kray style. :thumbsup:

The bad thing is I just heard modo rendernodes are now limited to 10. Even in the host modo app.
No problem for maya vray vs maya modo. But max version is 999 nodes for vray.

battery555
06-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Unlikely, if you look at the post before yours. :(

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Lightwolf, pardon my ignorance. Coding for a Mac version any different from those plugins that you helped converted? There's not many people to look to when come to plugin conversion for Mac. If vary is not possible will you consider To write an exporter for octane render. Johan gracIously created an LW exporter for it but apparently its not working with 10 onwards. Thanks!

Lightwolf
06-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Hi Lightwolf, pardon my ignorance. Coding for a Mac version any different from those plugins that you helped converted? !
Yes. For the plugins I get the full source code.
However, in the case of VRay they provide the compiled binaries (for the OSes they support) and the means to interface with them - to utilise them.

As for Octane: If there's existing support that just doesn't work anymore then it's a lot easier to fix it as opposed to developing one from scratch.

Cheers,
Mike

battery555
06-15-2012, 10:08 AM
As for Octane: If there's existing support that just doesn't work anymore then it's a lot easier to fix it as opposed to developing one from scratch.

Cheers,
Mike

He he... It's there a Chance you might? I bought octane recently. I even changed my ati cArD to nvidia gtx 4000 Mac to work with it. It's just frustrAting I could only export obj from LW to render in Octane. I will definitely buy if there's working exporter. Better still integrated with LW. They have in MAX already though.

Lightwolf
06-15-2012, 10:14 AM
He he... It's there a Chance you might?
Very unlikely (which is essentially a "No" ;) ). We've got our own products to take care of at the moment. VRay is a lot more tempting due to the potentially larger user base - and effectively it's the same amount of work.

Cheers,
Mike

battery555
06-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Very unlikely (which is essentially a "No" ;) ). We've got our own products to take care of at the moment. VRay is a lot more tempting due to the potentially larger user base - and effectively it's the same amount of work.

Cheers,
Mike

That make sense and fair. Thanks for being upfront and not giving false hope. I appreciated that a lot :D

Titus
06-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Mmmh, my estimation is three months full time. Unfortunatelly I don't have free time.

GraphXs
06-19-2012, 06:49 PM
I could see myself buying into vray for lw if its developed fromxsomeone like Mike. That would be amazing! I to would want it in lw...the only issue is not have a vpr renderer.