PDA

View Full Version : Nodal displacement: pie charts: arbitrary rotation?

jeric_synergy
06-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Attached is a scene using a network generously devised by Bryphii77 (Bryan Phillips??) to animate the growth of pie chart segments.

Using DPKit and weight maps, this allows the animator to animate a pie section growing naturally, sort of "circularly".

I would like to be able to animate the growing sections generically, i.e. move and rotate them while they grow. Unfortunately, this simple setup is unable to do so: while the pie section can be translated about using a Parent null, any tilting/rotation of either the pie itself or the mover null results in distortion of the pie section. The attached scene demonstrates this distortion starting at frame #100.

What would be needed to be added to the scene to allow arbitrary rotation animation or the growing pie section?

(And can someone please explain to me why this is so?)

Thanks.

SplineGod
06-11-2012, 07:18 PM
You might try a couple of bones and a weight map or two. :)

jeric_synergy
06-12-2012, 12:20 AM
It's that World versus Parent thing that always trips me up.

That, and my congenital misunderstanding of what the hell Nodes are doing, despite various people's best efforts. JUST when I think I'm starting to get it, I look again....

raw-m
06-12-2012, 01:24 AM
This can be done as I've done it! I'll try and dig it out when I can (might not be today) but I think it was as simple as selecting Properties/Node Displacement Order/Before World Displace on the object you're animating. As mentioned, I don't have the scene at the moment so there might have been a couple of World Coords boxes ticked in the Node setup.

jeric_synergy
06-12-2012, 01:34 AM
This can be done as I've done it! I'll try and dig it out when I can (might not be today) but I think it was as simple as selecting Properties/Node Displacement Order/Before World Displace on the object you're animating. As mentioned, I don't have the scene at the moment so there might have been a couple of World Coords boxes ticked in the Node setup.
Bingo!!! It was "Before Local Displacement" -- now works as expected.

Thanks! Sooooo many buttons!

raw-m
06-12-2012, 01:36 AM
Ah yes, that was it. Well done!