PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Texture Guns?

Philly85
06-10-2012, 03:36 AM
Hey I am working on three guns.

Famas
Revolver
Sniper Rifle

Am I best to texture them using images or the Lightwave Presets? Especially the revolver which has a lot of reflections.

Which would be the best to use for the Revolver? Was thinking a Silver Raytrace but any idea which is the best settings to use on the image editor for it?

Thanks.

HolyMonkey-
06-10-2012, 01:28 PM
It will be easier to help you out if I/we can get to know how much LW you know, there are many ways to texture an object.

Do you know how to create Color maps, specular maps, reflection maps for an object using photoshop?

Do you know how to UV map?

Do you know how to use node editor?

Etc. =) Cheers!

Silkrooster
06-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Hey I am working on three guns.

Famas
Revolver
Sniper Rifle

Am I best to texture them using images or the Lightwave Presets? Especially the revolver which has a lot of reflections.

Which would be the best to use for the Revolver? Was thinking a Silver Raytrace but any idea which is the best settings to use on the image editor for it?

Thanks.

First you need to decide on what it should look like. Did it just come from the show room floor or did it come from a digging find where someone found it in the ground. How much rust is going to be on it, was it painted, did it have blueing. how much wear and tear did it get.
These all play a role in how the final peace will look and whether you want do the whole thing procedurally, with images or a combination of the two.

Think of the presets that came with lightwave as a starting point, it will do some of the lifting, but you need to do some of the work in order for it to be realistic.
Don't stop at texturing, lighting and the setting will play a role in how the gun will look as well.