PDA

View Full Version : LW 9.6 to 11 upgrade

777twist
06-08-2012, 08:03 PM
I currently have 9.6 and I'm at the end of a project, just need to tweak and render. But it will probably take a long time to render considering I'm still very rusty and didn't build anything efficiently.

Anyway, I'm also having issues where the program crashes when I do various things. The graph editor was extremely bad the other day. I couldn't just slide some keys down without it hanging. Then I tried to add a light the other day and same thing.

I really don't have the money to upgrade right now and I won't use any of the high-end features, but in the past (early days) every time LW would update they would take advantage of better floating point calcs etc... and rendering would be quicker. Is there any benefit like that by me going to 11? And if so, how much %-wise? And/or is it more stable?

Thanks for any input!

-Francesco

lwanmtr
06-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Rendering in 11 is much faster than 9.6 because of the unified sampling.

colkai
06-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Everything I have read says LW11 is faster than LW9.6 - However, unless you are on a tight deadline in a commercial situation, I'd question if such speed updates are worth paying for, especially as you say you don't really have the money. Certainly, if you are a hobbyist, I'd only be inclined to upgrade if the funds were freely available, as LW9.6 is still very much a capable version.
I have found LW9.6 to be very stable, you may want to consider deleting your configs and rebuilding them as when I have had problems, it usually relates to a fubar'd config file.

777twist
06-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the suggestion and info.

dwburman
06-09-2012, 09:14 AM
If all you need is a quicker render, you might consider sending the project to a render farm service.
I've used a few and was pleased with the level of support and the price of http://garagefarm.net/ They are much cheaper than the other ones I've found.

Of course, if your project involves texturing something with full-res video, then uploading a project is probably out of the question.

You can download the trial version of LW11 to check it out and see if it'll work for you.

Snosrap
06-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Rendering in 11 is much faster than 9.6 because of the unified sampling. Not only faster - better. Plus throw in linear color workflow and the rendering in LW has never been better.

dwburman
06-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Yup. The unified sampling makes a big difference especially if you didn't try to optimize the quality settings for your shaders and light.

One note about the linear workflow. If you bring your project into LW11 and try to use the new linear workflow (by switching the color space settings to sRGB) you will have to tweak your lighting.

If you leave the color space set to "linear" then LW11 behaves the same as in LW9.