PDA

View Full Version : Shader Tree Fun and Node Setups

rcallicotte
06-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Allright, this is cool - http://www.luxology.com/tv/training/view.aspx?id=647, but I like the LW node setups, too. Since I'm very much in learning mode, but this might instead piss you off (I hope not), I would like someone to be objective to help me see the bigger picture - what are the advantages of each?

There must be something each has the other could use, etc. or there wouldn't be a difference.

Advantages I see in the shader tree - pretty orderly and it's easy to be picky about certain pieces of the mesh.

Advantages I see in the LW node networks - Combinations of nodes are easy to align and calculate wanted end results, which means easy to see and do.

50one
06-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Well, to be fair i was against the shader tree in the beggining but the more i use it, the more i appreciate it, fair enough nodes are far more advanced but if you like layered approach / photoshop mindset than the modo shader tree will feel like home

rcallicotte
06-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Once I got the hang of it, I liked the shader tree. This explanation makes really much better sense and it's presented really well.

Nodes seem more robust, but I unfortunately don't know enough to know why. The fact you can put things in a more logical visual order seems to help...and a lot of high-end applications use nodes - one reason why I thought maybe it would be good to get the full disclosure.