PDA

View Full Version : bas relief technique

jbe3d
10-25-2003, 09:46 PM
I'd like to produce a bas relief of the image as shown. Would someone please share how they would go about this type of embossed 3D imagery, or at least how to start?

I have started with a disk, but I'm unsure the easiest way to go about refining the detail to produce the finished item.

Thanks!

WizCraker
10-25-2003, 11:14 PM
There are a couple of ways to do it. One of which you make a greyscale of the image use it as a displacement map.

jbe3d
10-26-2003, 10:25 AM
I thought about that, and have done it frequently, but the result in usually not satisfactory, especially in this case. I'm just curious how those who do this kind of work would go about it from beginning to end.

Thanks for the reply

Jeffrey

danilo
10-27-2003, 06:24 AM
for the grayscale you must have tones like this:
highest point -white
lowest point-black
and ewerything in between-shades of gray.
Not just grayscale from existing image.
Not easy thing to do.
danilo

jbe3d
10-27-2003, 07:22 AM
Yes, I know. I don't think I would even try to describe a complex image with gray scale gradients. I am very away heightfield surfaces. Thank you.

What I'm more interested in is whether good modelers would use spline modeling or more traditional approaches such as box modeling to create a pattern such as that above.

jbe3d
10-27-2003, 07:23 AM
uh, away should have been 'aware of', guess I should preview my messages!
:)

Triple G
10-27-2003, 11:49 AM
Honestly, I probably wouldn't even worry about the coin to start off with, and would focus on the figure. Personally, I'd probably start laying down polys point-by-point while using the background image as a guide. Once you've got something you're happy with, then you can make the disc and build the figure into it (either manually or by using booleans).

A lot depends on just how much detail we need to see of this coin. If it's just going to be sitting on a table in a passing shot in an animation, I'd probably just map the image on and be done with it. If the coin is the focal piece, however, then obviously more time would need to be spent and you'd want to actually model the detail.

jbe3d
10-27-2003, 02:09 PM
Ah, thanks. The more I thought about it, the more I started thinking along this line.

The piece will eventually by produced as a physical pattern for a piece of jewelry. Most of my modeling is done in Rhino. I'm learning LW to extend my capabilities.

Jeffrey