PDA

View Full Version : Multiple subpatch levels, and displacement levels with in one object layer

cosbovfx
06-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Is it possible to have this within a single object layer. I have a character that has various displacement maps that require different levels of subpatch, and possibly different amounts of displacement. I know I could just go into modeler and sub divide the geometry on the different parts of the object to essentially get the different levels of of subpatch but I do not want to change the base geometry.

For example:

I would like to have the Body with a subpatch level of 9 and displacement of 60mm.

I would like to have the Head with subpatch level of 6 and displacement of 16mm

I would like to have the armor at subpatch level 3 with displacement of 20mm.

So on and So forth.

RebelHill
06-08-2012, 10:40 AM
with a weightmap and per poly subdivision...

cosbovfx
06-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks Rebel Hill, That works quite nicely for subpatch lvl, Is there away to do this with the Displacement lvl when using the Enable Bump Displacement in the displacement tab.

RebelHill
06-08-2012, 11:35 AM
there is no "displacement level", that is what the subD is. Unless u mean the Xm scale setting... In which case you have to do that back in the surface editor, using the weight to multiply you bump amount.

K-Dawg
06-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Under Deform using the Node Editor for Displacment you should be able to set the Displacment values with a Gradient, Weightmaps and your Values (Vectors, Procedural, Normal Map etc.). Should work. But a Value per Sub-D LvL is not possible afaik.

cosbovfx
06-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Ok, I think K-dawg got it, I have uploaded a pic to better describe what I am asking. So if I understand correctly, I have to use the node editor in the deform to do my displacement rather then adding a displacement node on each object surface, in the surfacing panel. Then I can using a weight map to set the maximum displacement distance for each object in that layer