PDA

View Full Version : Prometheus

Serling
06-08-2012, 06:47 AM
I saw Prometheus at the 12:01 AM showing last night. I was really looking forward to this movie based on the trailers I had seen (it's the prequel to Alien) and, for the most part, it rocked. I'm not going to give anything away but just wanted to start a thread on it. Let us know what you thought of it.

metahumanity
06-08-2012, 07:43 AM
I was very disappointed.

Essentially the trailers had given away every single set-piece in the movie.

Apart from that the whole structure felt way too similar to ALIEN with some Däniken nonsense layered on top. And the Engineer being just a simplistic Jason Vorhoes knock-off didn´t help.

I was really looking forward to see something breath-taking. Some epic Giger landscapes or new interesting creatures. But the damn cave with the dumb head and a simple storage room for the urns/eggs is all we get.

If you have seen the trailers, you´ve seen it all. That´s a very bad strategy, and unfortunately a bad habit these last years.

But the truth is, the movie only has those few locations we see in the trailers. Remember Alien? Also had only a few locations...derelict and inside the Nostromo. But it explored those limited locations patiently and with atmosphere. Not here. It all just rushes by like in a tv pilot.

And the character motivations and actions make no sense at all. Take the geologists, for example. Uhhhuhuh, we are so freaked out with the alien stuff that we have to leave the scene to collect some rocks....hey, look, and alien cobra. let´s touch it!

Script, dialogue and characters are on a G.I. Jane level, IMO. If it weren´t for some of the cool visuals this thing would be un-watchable.

Sorry, don´t want to sound negative or trolley, but this movie seriously pissed me off.

Philbert
06-08-2012, 12:36 PM
I would hope it's similar to Alien since it was first written as a prequel and still takes place in the same "universe".

tigerproducer
06-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks, Metahumanity. I had an idea that Promethius would be another one of those hyped-up CGI things so I'm glad you've taken the time to fill me in on Promethius before I had wasted my money on it.

Movies are pretty darned expensive these days when you go tho the theatre, and at the going rate of $19.50 per ticket, you've undoubtedly saved an awful lot of folks a bundle of money with your post and review.

I certainly appreciate it.

Philbert
06-08-2012, 12:58 PM
$19.50? Tickets at my local theatre for Friday at 8pm are only $11.

cresshead
06-08-2012, 01:39 PM
i'd say it was okay but no classic in the making

dialogue and character motivation was poor at best, felt clunky and lacked depth...it also felt like there was 20 mins missing as in a previous teaser video there was a young weyland talking to an audience....nowhere in the actual movie.

example of poor character development...i can only remember the name of one of the characters...david...no one was developed enough to care about them enough to remember their name!

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/screencrush.com/files/2012/06/prometheus-review.jpg

you know what i'm done with going to the cinema if the film you get is a cut down version to herd people in and out of the seating as fast as possible to max out cash at the EXPENSE of story telling...also being constrained to a 15 ceert in the UK means more cutting room floor footage.

i hope that the dvd [directors cut] can salvage a bit of this film.

it wasn't awful but it wasn't stellar either.

cinema is dead...dvd is the way forward...FULL length versions you can pause when you want to.

http://media.bakersfieldnow.com/images/120607_Prometheus_2.jpg

shrox
06-08-2012, 02:04 PM
http://media.bakersfieldnow.com/images/120607_Prometheus_2.jpg

I would NEVER take my helmet off when exploring an alien ship...

stiff paper
06-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Well, I guess I'm in a minority here, but I thought it was outright drivel. Aggressively stupid and utterly boring. Very, very... very... badly written.

Pretty pictures don't mean a thing if your screenplay reads like it was put together by an ignorant, semi-literate fourteen year old with no grasp of sense, meaning, dialogue, pacing, drama or narrative.

The actors had all the charisma and onscreen presence of doorknobs.

I'd say it's exactly as good a movie as Event Horizon or Supernova, so calibrate your expectations accordingly.

Please, Hollywood, please. Just stop trying to make science fiction movies. You're too stupid to make it work.

I didn't even like the effects.

Fsoto
06-08-2012, 03:21 PM
You guys just saved some money! I'll wait for the dvd and rent it. Thanks.

BeeVee
06-08-2012, 03:29 PM
I thought it was beautiful to look at, umm, that is all. Steve the young Weyland was a TED talk (http://blog.ted.com/ted2023/) and there were so many holes and overall lack of tension that I was very disappointed. No spoilers for anyone yet to see it, but I can give you a list of questions to answer if you liked it... :)

B

stiff paper
06-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Well, duh.

If I'd found this review before I posted earlier I could just have linked to it and said "I agree with every single word of this":

(Warning! Don't follow this link if you're intending to see the film, because the review CONTAINS SPOILERS.)

http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2012/06/prometheus.html

Philbert
06-08-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm not very picky with action / sci-fi movies so I have the feeling I'll enjoy it immensely.

stiff paper
06-08-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm not very picky with action / sci-fi movies so I have the feeling I'll enjoy it immensely.

The odds are in your favor. It currently has an 87% audience approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, so it looks like most people do like it.

cresshead
06-08-2012, 05:16 PM
I thought it was beautiful to look at, umm, that is all. Steve the young Weyland was a TED talk (http://blog.ted.com/ted2023/) and there were so many holes and overall lack of tension that I was very disappointed. No spoilers for anyone yet to see it, but I can give you a list of questions to answer if you liked it... :)

B

yeh my guess is that we're missing 20mins when we go to the cinema

DigitalSorcery8
06-08-2012, 05:22 PM

Same here. I don't need to have everything explained or shown. I just go to be entertained and chances are I will be by this film. I certainly don't expect everything I see to be perfectly written or perfectly acted or perfectly anything. I just want to enjoy it. Great director, good actors and incredible looking sets... I'm sure I'll be fine.

Look how many COMPLETELY dissed Terranova. It wasn't the best show but people were criticizing the family, the FX, the directing... Hell... it was simply nice, FAMILY entertainment. We enjoyed it. I COULD tear apart everything but I chose not to. It's too bad people just can't simply enjoy something for what it is - mindless entertainment. Or better yet, go out and make something BETTER! :thumbsup:

Saddens me to think that I may be able to make a show that lots of kids everywhere would like, but critics - who can't understand the show - would tear it to shreds. Oh well... what can you do? :bangwall:

777twist
06-08-2012, 07:52 PM
My take is the first 1/2 is boring and it's tough to retain your interest. The 2nd half was very good and worth seeing. If you like the genre, go see it in the theater. If not, you could probably wait for the DVD.

Serling
06-08-2012, 10:50 PM
My big disappointments with it...

Lack of suspense. Alien raised the suspense bar to levels that have seldom been touched. This fell way short. Disappointing when you consider it came from the same director.

Huge continuity problem between end of prequel (Prometheus) and beginning of sequel (Alien). Hey Ridley, did you even watch Alien before you made this one??? I mean, I know it's been 33 years but c'mon!

I won't offer any spoiler except to say watch where the alien astronaut dies in Prometheus and where the crew of the Nostromo finds him in Alien.

I really liked the actress that played Elizabeth Shaw. I actually think she was much more of a sympathetic character than Ripley (why, oh why, Ridley, must they all be so scantily clad???)

But I'm bored and tired of the evil android gimmick used to advance the story via their antagonism. Do androids dream of evil electric sheep, or are they just programmed to be a-holes???

The sets, such as they were, were cool. I liked the ship, and the surface of the planet was believable. Once they got inside the dome, however, it simply did not convey the creepy suspense factor of the original. I'm claustrophobic, and I can't even watch some movies (The Descent) without having panic attacks due to the feeling of being closed in on all sides from some scenes.

No such "pucker factor" here. Ever.

I found the effects cool but the script lacking, and desperately wanted a reason to watch Alien again to see how Promotheus tied into Alien without missing even a thread. Epic fail on that score (for reason noted above.)

Alien is still the best of class.

DigitalSorcery8
06-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Huge continuity problem between end of prequel (Prometheus) and beginning of sequel (Alien). Hey Ridley, did you even watch Alien before you made this one??? I mean, I know it's been 33 years but c'mon!
How will this statement look when you see one or two more movies that take place between Prometheus and Alien? I believe they said there was to be a trilogy.

Philbert
06-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Remember that according to the film makers Prometheus is not a prequel to Alien. It was going to be but Scott changed his mind and decided to make it a stand-alone story.

Serling
06-09-2012, 01:44 AM
How will this statement look when you see one or two more movies that take place between Prometheus and Alien? I believe they said there was to be a trilogy.

Remember that according to the film makers Prometheus is not a prequel to Alien. It was going to be but Scott changed his mind and decided to make it a stand-alone story.

The trilogy part would explain the lack of continuity between Promotheus and Alien if there are, indeed, going to be two more movies.

If, however, the "stand-alone" movie theory is true, why put the alien's ship in the same position it's in when the crew of the Nostromo finds it?

(Spoiler Alert)...

Why the warning broadcast at the end of Promtheus that "Mother" interprets as a distress call in Alien, causing her to awaken the crew, only to have them find out later that it was, in fact, a warning?

If it's not a prequel, then it makes no sense whatsoever to put these elements into the film.

If it's true that Scott "changed his mind", then he screwed up almost as badly as Lucas did with his prequel(s) to one of the greatest movie trilogies ever. (Did George even watch epsiodes IV, V, and VI before writing I, II, and III?)

Oh well. I should be asking you all to go see it just for the sake of my 401k! :)

erikals
06-09-2012, 03:44 AM
 
might be a sequel...
http://www.prometheusforum.net/discussion/1304/prometheus-sequel/p1

 

Serling
06-09-2012, 04:06 AM
 
might be a sequel...
http://www.prometheusforum.net/discussion/1304/prometheus-sequel/p1

 

Upon further thought, however, even a sequel to Prometheus won't address the problem created by putting the ship in the position where the Nostromo finds it without its alien pilot in the chair. It would've been a seemingly simple fix to rework the end of that movie to address such a glaring error.

Think back to Alien when they find the alien ship and the large alien pilot in the pilot's seat, and what a big deal they made about it, even going in on a close up to show the exploded rib cage with dialogue describing it.

Now (if you haven't seen Prometheus yet, sorry for this!) go to the end of Prometheus and see where this alien pilot dies, complete with exploded rib cage and all!

It's rather senseless to screw up something that so recognizably ties one movie to the other! And it's something that could've been avoided.

Markc
06-09-2012, 04:28 AM
In regards to the position the alien creature lies in Prometheus, this is a completely different planet to 'Alien'!
Alien was set on LV426, Prometheus was set on LV223.
AFAIK Prometheus is only set in the same universe as Alien, hence similarities (i.e. the same 'space jockey' alien race, with derelict ship)
The events that occur in Alien could be hundreds of years later (assuming there are 203 uncharted planets between 223 and 426!)
Just my 2 cents :)

Saw it in Imax 3D, and was a bit disappointed (was expecting more), however was still enjoyable.

Serling
06-09-2012, 04:41 AM
"The commercial towing spaceship Nostromo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_%28film%29) is on a return trip from Thedus to Earth, hauling a refinery and twenty million tons of mineral ore, and carrying its seven-member crew in stasis. Upon receiving a transmission of unknown origin from a nearby planetoid, the ship's computer awakens the crew."

"Dallas, Kane, and Lambert discover that the signal is coming from a derelict alien spacecraft. Inside it they find the remains of a large alien creature whose ribs appear to have been exploded outward from the inside. Meanwhile, the Nostromo's computer partially deciphers the signal transmission, which Ripley determines to be some type of warning."

planetoid = moon Prometheus visits
a transmission of unknown origin = warning left by Shaw
derelict alien spacecraft = spacecraft disabled by Prometheus
large alien creature = spacecraft's pilot
ribs...exploded outward from the inside = manner in which alien pilot dies as seen in Prometheus

Every one of these elements from Alien is consistently explained in Prometheus except for one little detail: the alien pilot at the end of Prometheus didn't die in the pilot's seat of his derelict spacecraft, which is where the crew of the Nostromo finds him!

All Scott had to do was read the synopsis of Alien from Wikipedia! :D

Serling
06-09-2012, 04:45 AM
Alien was set on LV426, Prometheus was set on LV223.

If this is true, then it's even more maddening because we get to see another scene in a sequel to Prometheus showing us how another engineer ship is disabled and its pilot dies from the alien within???

Wait...stop me if you've heard this one before. :D

I am hereby and forthwith swearing off anymore Alien spinoffs. The first two were the best. Anything else is just dreck.

Markc
06-09-2012, 05:41 AM
The way I see it (which may be hogwash), is the Engineers have been around for a very long time, visiting many planets/solar systems, and the creatures in Prometheus are an early evolution (or completely different species) of the Alien we see in 'Alien', (how early is anyone's guess).

prometheus
06-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Ahh..I had a sense of that this movie would fail for many people for many reasons, I haven´t seen it yet but will, and might be good to have my expectations tuned down, since all the hype in the beginning and because of ridley scott( that doesn´t automaticly quallify a good movie)

There´s so many ingredients that need to come together in order to mix a good soupe of grandiour movies. and having just one ore two ingredients
failing could spoil the whole thin.

Then having the shadow of two of the most thrilling scifi-horror movies ever with Alien and Aliens, yes cameron did a magnificent work with Aliens in my opinion.

Having directors with former classic movies on their backs will not guarantee any success, but it seems that so many get´s fooled by that.

bryan singer and x-men goes nah..with superman, George Lucas fails with the pre-sequels to starwars, and I really don´t think James Cameron avatar holds up to what it could have been and not as nearly as good as Aliens or even The Abyss.
The Wachowski brothers Matrix 2 and 3...que?

I guess it all first comes down to the Main Idea of the movie, script and how It in the end is executed and produced, there´s also an aspect of
releasing a movie with a topic that is right in time for what is happening in and around the world.

Man...look at how those components merged toghether in alien, the script, the artists from HR-giger, rambaldi, syd mead?, ridley scott with fresh eye at that time, Jerry goldsmiths haunting soundtrack, and some talented mostly unknown actors and especially the carasmatic Sigourney Weaver.

Hey there´s still room for a true sequel, where the Aliens aren´t engineered but rather evolved from their own horrible but amazing homeplanet,( I have some images in my head of that.) Unfortunatly that isn´t any script to talk about wich is the most crucial thing I guess.

Actually the Idea and script that Ridley Scott fell for, doesn´t sound bad at all.

Well...I dunno yet, have to go and see it these upcoming weeks, DVD is out of the question, movies are ment for theaters, unless having a huge projector setup at home.

Michael

Snosrap
06-09-2012, 10:47 AM

You guy's must live in LA or NY - $8 here in the midwest. $5 before 5PM. With free refills on popcorn and soda! :neener:

BigHache
06-09-2012, 02:58 PM

Yeah I'm in the Sunshine State and it's $10. Maybe that guy's in the panhandle? :D

Philbert
06-09-2012, 03:03 PM
I used to go to a place in Lancaster when I was a teen that was $1 for everything so you could get a ticket, popcorn, and soda for $3.

sami
06-10-2012, 09:17 PM
If you have seen the trailers, you´ve seen it all. That´s a very bad strategy, and unfortunately a bad habit these last years.

Not the case with John Carter. I saw that recently and the trailers made it look like a really bad "people-in-rags" movie like 10,000 BC or something. But it was surprisingly captivating science fiction - a little boring and slowly paced, but much more engaging than I thought given the trailers....

Philbert
06-10-2012, 11:32 PM
I actually thought the John Carter trailers looked interesting, but like everyone was saying it was horrible so I haven't bothered with it yet.

wibly wobly
06-11-2012, 06:10 AM
I'm going to try and not spoil anything here for people that haven't seen it but, I thought the script was a mess. There were too many incidents that happened, big things, that the characters never talked about afterwards (Lost did this a lot, when I was watching it). There's a lot of this and it totally breaks the movie for me. Characters did things that didn't make sense. They'd set up something, chars would react to it, then some of them would have the opposite reaction later on. I'll skip how the characters didn't have enough backstory or characterization to make their actions later on to not feel contrived. There were a number of things that happened that were ripped straight out of Alien. Some of them felt gratuitous, when they didn't in Alien. In Alien, they felt like they were moving the story but, in here it felt like it was more there just there for shock value. Other copied elements felt like they were just tagged on as an after thought without a meaningful setup or was just plain out copied.

Design wise, there were too many things going on in different directions for them to work for me. If they wanted to have all kinds of crazy things going on, that's fine but, they really needed to simplify some of the alien technology or present it in a different way.

It felt like either the movie needed to be cut down a lot to streamline elements of it, or the movie was cut down from a much longer length because there were so many things that were glossed over or skipped. I'm totally fine with leaving the viewers thinking or questioning about plot points. In fact I tend to enjoy that. I don't see many movies these days were you have to talk about it afterwards. I was left not wanting or caring about what the answers were by the end, when, the idea behind it could go in all kinds of great directions.

I could go on if I gave up spoilers but, after the lights came up, two of the guys I was with were just appalled by the movie. They're fans of Ridley, and of Alien to. I thought it was pretty disappointing but, didn't hate it, they hated it. We ended up breaking down it's (mostly script related) failings all through the credits and continued to do so on the way outside and kept going for a while in the parking lot for a while.

If it helps people put my opinion into perspective, some of my fave sci-fi films are Gattaca, The Thing (Carpenter's), Alien, 2001, Clockwork Orange, The Fountain, Donnie Darko and Brazil.

prometheus
06-11-2012, 06:17 AM
I'm going to try and not spoil anything here for people that haven't seen it but, I thought the script was a mess. There were too many incidents that happened, big things, that the characters never talked about afterwards (Lost did this a lot, when I was watching it). There's a lot of this and it totally breaks the movie for me. Characters did things that didn't make sense. They'd set up something, chars would react to it, then some of them would have the opposite reaction later on. I'll skip how the characters didn't have enough backstory or characterization to make their actions later on to not feel contrived. There were a number of things that happened that were ripped straight out of Alien. Some of them felt gratuitous, when they didn't in Alien. In Alien, they felt like they were moving the story but, in here it felt like it was more there just there for shock value. Other copied elements felt like they were just tagged on as an after thought without a meaningful setup or was just plain out copied.

Design wise, there were too many things going on in different directions for them to work for me. If they wanted to have all kinds of crazy things going on, that's fine but, they really needed to simplify some of the alien technology or present it in a different way.

It felt like either the movie needed to be cut down a lot to streamline elements of it, or the movie was cut down from a much longer length because there were so many things that were glossed over or skipped. I'm totally fine with leaving the viewers thinking or questioning about plot points. In fact I tend to enjoy that. I don't see many movies these days were you have to talk about it afterwards. I was left not wanting or caring about what the answers were by the end, when, the idea behind it could go in all kinds of great directions.

I could go on if I gave up spoilers but, after the lights came up, two of the guys I was with were just appalled by the movie. They're fans of Ridley, and of Alien to. I thought it was pretty disappointing but, didn't hate it, they hated it. We ended up breaking down it's (mostly script related) failings all through the credits and continued to do so on the way outside and kept going for a while in the parking lot for a while.

If it helps people put my opinion into perspective, some of my fave sci-fi films are Gattaca, The Thing (Carpenter's), Alien, 2001, Clockwork Orange, The Fountain, Donnie Darko and Brazil.

Yay, Gattaca is one of my favourites too.. Alien,Aliens, brazil, 12 monkey army, (two full hits from Terry) Blade Runner, (two full hit´s from Ridley)

Michael

Alex87
06-11-2012, 09:40 AM
[QUOTE=Markc;1249448]
The events that occur in Alien could be hundreds of years later (assuming there are 203 uncharted planets between 223 and 426!)
Just my 2 cents :)

just to note, Prometheus is set in 2094, whilst Alien is set in 2122, not that that long between them really.

-EsHrA-
06-11-2012, 10:52 AM
some interesting stuff on the script. (spoilers)
http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

mlon

bazsa73
06-11-2012, 11:55 AM
I would rather see less. Like in Alien. Today we see all, from 15 different camera angles plus the hispeed shots and the bullet times. I dont care about these things. I dont want to know how the alien tentacle looks like on 250 fps. Or a supermacro of a gory wound.

GregMalick
06-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Nice looking but a very poor screenplay.
Too many elements that felt very very contrived and there just to give some sense of suspense.

I though it was a waste of money & time.

shrox
06-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Is it better than Alien3?

erikals
06-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Nice looking but a very poor screenplay.
Too many elements that felt very very contrived and there just to give some sense of suspense.

I though it was a waste of money & time.

this makes me sad... :\
but hey, nothing is better than to go with low expectations...

 

aidenvfx
06-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Well, I guess I'm in a minority here, but I thought it was outright drivel. Aggressively stupid and utterly boring. Very, very... very... badly written.

Pretty pictures don't mean a thing if your screenplay reads like it was put together by an ignorant, semi-literate fourteen year old with no grasp of sense, meaning, dialogue, pacing, drama or narrative.

The actors had all the charisma and onscreen presence of doorknobs.

I'd say it's exactly as good a movie as Event Horizon or Supernova, so calibrate your expectations accordingly.

Please, Hollywood, please. Just stop trying to make science fiction movies. You're too stupid to make it work.

I didn't even like the effects.

It was written by one of the main writers from "Lost" that may explain some of the complaints

Bill Carey
06-11-2012, 07:13 PM
I don't think it was nearly as bad as most here, but it was to slow. The end of the movie should have been the middle and then gone for a ride to someplace new.

BlueApple
06-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Happy to have spent my 9 bucks on this thing. It's not Blade Runner, but it's a solid movie (warts and all) and I enjoyed it.

Bring on the questions, BeeVee :)

GregMalick
06-12-2012, 09:40 AM

hmmmm....

That was the one that was in a prison and reminded me of a video game.
Another very contrived storyline that had me groaning at times.

I'd say it's a toss-up but Alice says Prometheus is better.

BTW, Ridley Scott is talking about a Blade Runner sequel.

!!!!!:cursin:

So after he ruins that - will he go after Gladiator & Black Hawk Down?? !! ??
:twak:

wibly wobly
06-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Red Letter Media spoilery sort of review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0&feature=youtu.be

A comical and somewhat snarky review. Spoilers within as well.

http://digitaldigging.net/prometheus-an-archaeological-perspective/

After seeing this, I'm very worried about more Blade Runner.

DigitalSorcery8
06-12-2012, 01:36 PM
So after he ruins that - will he go after Gladiator & Black Hawk Down?? !! ??
So now I guess Ridley Scott sucks as a director?

He does this one questionable remake and now he's a pariah?

Wow... glad I'm not making movies for the people here and in other forums.

erikals
06-12-2012, 01:46 PM
 
i'll see it for sure... it's not a bad movie, i "know" it...
(depends on what you want from a movie though...) ;]

 

Cageman
06-12-2012, 01:57 PM

It is not the same planet...

EDIT: I have seen it twice... and I have to say to those that havn't seen it... there are LOTS of subtle hints here and there in the movie that makes it quite darn interresting, especially since Ridley wants to do a sequel to Prometheus... maybe even turning it into a trilogy as someone mentioned here. I love that stuff, and, I'm sure I will see even more hints when I can see it a third time or forth. :)

jeric_synergy
06-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Test patterns are better than Alien3.

(I hate it when they give SF properties to the latest hot director: Dune and Alien3 are my exemplars.)

BeeVee
06-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Happy to have spent my 9 bucks on this thing. It's not Blade Runner, but it's a solid movie (warts and all) and I enjoyed it.

Bring on the questions, BeeVee :)

Actually the brilliant RedLetterMedia has done my job for me. I'm not nearly as good so hadn't thought of half these and apparently this is his cut-down list :D

Do NOT watch the following link if you have not yet seen Prometheus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

B

Cageman
06-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Actually the brilliant RedLetterMedia has done my job for me. I'm not nearly as good so hadn't thought of half these and apparently this is his cut-down list :D

B

Lack of spoonfeeding is kind of interresting... Just because many things aren't explained, is what makes this movie very interresting. Looking forward to the BlueRay/DVD that is said to have another 20-30 minutes of film.

There are a few scenes where the characters acts stupid, I agree... but the rest is actually making things very mystical and open for interpretations. I know that they, for example, intended to tell the audience why the Engineers are angry with humans, but... since they kind of plan to expand on this movie through a sequel or maybe even a trilogy, it would be far more interresting to get to see where Shaw and David might end up in their search for answers of why the Engineers wants to wipe out the human race.

:)

wibly wobly
06-12-2012, 04:23 PM
I was listening to Kermode feedback letters on Monday and they said that the film was cut down a lot, so that could explain so much of it feels pretty jumbled up. There are a lot of great ideas and directions they could go with here with these themes. I wonder like they said in that Red Letter review was when they compared it to Lost. It felt like there's so much going on and there's direction to it but, when you get to the end, it's like. wth was that all about? Is that it? Total lack of payoff. I really don't know. I'm interested it hearing what the longer cut of the movie is about because there were so many things that just didn't have enough setup (mostly character related) to be believable, or just went against the grain from what was established. I'd hope they totally left out the idea about what the Engineers were thinking or doing. Leaving it up to us to imagine is so much more fun then trying to create a payoff for something like that, which will never be as good as what we can dream of.

BlueApple
06-13-2012, 06:04 AM

B

Thanks for the link; that video is hilarious.

There were a lot of unanswered questions posed by the film, which I am fine with. There were a few instances of behavior from various characters that I found very bizarre, but I chalk that up to "people are weird sometimes". I may be too forgiving a person, though :)

stiff paper
06-13-2012, 08:53 AM
So now I guess Ridley Scott sucks as a director? He does this one questionable remake and now he's a pariah?

Well I have some disappointing news for you - Ridley Scott has always been a crap director.

Why don't you go to IMDB and look at the long list of all those other movies he's made. You know, not just the ones where he had a brilliant screenplay, a brilliant cinematographer, a brilliant editor and brilliant people doing the design work.

If you like, you could start by watching "Someone To Watch Over Me." There's nothing else there to distract you from how "Great" a director Scott is. If you pay attention you'll notice that -- oh no! -- he's bloody awful at everything that good directors are actually good at.

After that one you could try The Duellists. It looks lovely, like a two hour chocolate commercial, but as a film, as an actual experience, it's a waste of celluloid.

He's made many more terrible movies than he has good ones.

Serling
06-13-2012, 09:56 AM
It is not the same planet...

Yes, so I've read. The problem is, how many of these derelict engineer ships are laying around waiting for people to find them in Ridley Scott's universe?

If there's more than one, we've been there and done that now at least once. Doesn't seem to make for a compelling sequel to Prometheus if we have to see another engineer ship disabled and coming to rest in roughly the same position this one did. :cursin:

At some point the story should progress to the events that unfold in Alien. That certainly looked to be the case in Prometheus with one notable exception (as outlined before.)

Serling
06-13-2012, 10:10 AM
http://digitaldigging.net/prometheus-an-archaeological-perspective/

At the breakfast table a rather nice biologist (played by Raef Spall, son of Timothy) introduces himself to a grumpy geologist, who is very rude. Later on, he confirms he’s the geologist, by shouting “I’m a geologist, I ******* love rocks!” as if that was the most pressing point that needed explaining. But we’re getting ahead of ourselves. The current point that needs explaining is the implication that these two crew members have managed to make it this far without actually meeting each other, and are plainly incompatible. It seems that at least one part of the crew selection procedure took the form of a raffle at an arsehole convention.

Classic! :thumbsup:

DigitalSorcery8
06-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Well I have some disappointing news for you - Ridley Scott has always been a crap director.

Why don't you go to IMDB and look at the long list of all those other movies he's made. You know, not just the ones where he had a brilliant screenplay, a brilliant cinematographer, a brilliant editor and brilliant people doing the design work.

If you like, you could start by watching "Someone To Watch Over Me." There's nothing else there to distract you from how "Great" a director Scott is. If you pay attention you'll notice that -- oh no! -- he's bloody awful at everything that good directors are actually good at.

After that one you could try The Duellists. It looks lovely, like a two hour chocolate commercial, but as a film, as an actual experience, it's a waste of celluloid.

He's made many more terrible movies than he has good ones.

And yet... in SO MANY forums he's hailed as a god. How many forums and posts heralded Prometheus as the "must-see" movie this summer? How many were expecting to see a GREAT Ridley Scott film? Interestingly enough - MOST people were expecting it to be great. But then, people criticise EVERY director no matter how good they are, Cameron has a pretty perfect track record, but I've seen his butt nailed against the wall by some here and elsewhere. The same with many other directors. No one is perfect. And there could be MANY other factors involved in what many perceive as a "bad film." Such as... studio tampering. Recall Blade Runner?

probiner
06-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Just saw it and had little expectations about it (almost pushed into the theater :D ), and I guess it helped. I liked it. Very powerful visuals, some shots made -> "holy cow...".

There are so many inconsistencies in the movie. Physics, logic, intentions... naming a few:
- They find a cave, cut scene, 2 and something years later they're arriving to a system 300bilion kilometers from earth, at which point the crew is actually briefed where they're going...
- Farfield and the biologist get lost, even if Farfield scanners where the ones that mapped the whole thing and they still have contact with the ship...
And he guy is a geologist and says... "I don't know, this all looks the same to me..."
- They are caught by a storm with many sized minerals flying around, but they come out of it like it just stinged. (Superb moment of tension by the way, just broken by this in my opinion)
- Some tension scenes' visuals/actions and music score didn't go along very well (especially when they come out in a hurry).
- Why was the robot infecting and trying to take her back pregnant with the creature if his mission was programmed by the rich guy that was there...? Seems a bit forced to resemble "Alien" research agenda, while he put everyone in danger with no scientific revenue.
- Why is Charlize Theron character even there? Being a front for her father doesn't seem good enough.
etc... etc...

These sorts of things, are "the" things that break the movie, to me. The story line is just good enough so that the sci-fi show (philosophy, unknown and action) can take place.

This is more of a Sci-Fi than any other "Alien" token.
It's more of an adventure than the last Indiana Jones was.
It has more tension and mystery than Avatar.
Makes an interesting mix, goes somewhere, but... there's something missing to make it a mind blowing classic.

Other than the aliens' silicon face and the (not so) old rich guy's face all the CG concepts and elements were top notch. I would enjoy a lot to see this movie breakdown. The particles, the fluid simulations, the dead engineers, the ships and their UI elements do not let down.

So my advise is, go see it like you're going to a boring ceremony, you might enjoy it more than you think :)
It put me more on the edge than many other movies I've seen lately.

Cheers

Cageman
06-16-2012, 07:36 PM
- They find a cave, cut scene, 2 and something years later they're arriving to a system 300bilion kilometers from earth, at which point the crew is actually briefed where they're going...

I think this is somewhat a hint towards what type of people they hired. As what the grumpy geologist says: "I'm not here to be your friend, I'm here for the money..." to further emphasize that most of the people onboard Prometheus are there for money.

There are plenty of movies where characters agree to be taken somewhere in order to get to know more, especially when they get money or knowledge to do so.

- Farfield and the biologist get lost, while they still have contact with the ship that has the carvens mappin all layed dow by Farfield's scanners. And he guy is a geologist and says... "I don't know, this all looks the same to me..."

I agree that this is kind of weird... I wonder if, for some reason, he managed to break the instrument? Even so, since they still have contact with the ship, they should be able to ask for directions in order to find the way out.

- They are caught by a strom with many heavy minerals flying around, but they come out of it like it just stinged. (Superb moment by the way, just broken for me for this)

They were not exposed to the storm long enough for the suits to take too much damage. Yes, it is a deadly storm, but they have to be in it long enough for it to be deadly.

Even I can go out in the middle of winter with -30 Celcius, totally naked, and survive 10 minutes.

Safe to say is that it would be a lethal situation for me, if I am exposed to the cold long enough.

- Why was the robot infecting and trying to take her back pregnant with the creature if his mission was programmed by the rich guy that was there...? Seems a bit forced to resemble "Alien" research agenda, while he put everyone in danger with no scientific revenue.

A much later version of David 8 called Ash (Alien) didn't have the necessary coding or hardware to limit the behaviour. In Aliens, Bishop talks about the twichy behavior of that generation of Androids that Ash belonged to and stated that he (Bishop that is) is not allowed by any means to harm a human.

It is safe to say that with all this in mind, and that David 8 is one of the first Androids ever created, suffers from a little too much free will.

- Why is Charlize Theron character even there? Being a front for her father doesn't seem good enough.
etc... etc...

Well, first of all we can clearly understand that she really hates her father. My guess is that she was there to kill her father when/if he had discovered what he wanted to discover; the ability or knowledge to live forever, and claim it for herself, most likely as an ambition to make sure she will be the CEO of Wayland Corp.

It also seems likely that she hired the botanist and geologist in order to make sure that whatever her father was looking for was never found (as in, she hired them because they are morons). I am starting to think that both those characters were not exactly what they initially said they were...

In any case... I have a feeling that those most in your face "plot-holes" will be filled once those extra 20-30 minutes of film arrives on the BlueRay.

probiner
06-17-2012, 06:33 AM
to further emphasize that most of the people on-board Prometheus are there for money.
Sure that's just like Atlantis (Disney) or Avatar, where some are there for adventure, science and discovery, while others go purely for the profit. The captain is another one that shows signs of caring less about those that don't work directly with him.
For sure money buys mercenaries ignorance. But make a 300b Km trip in the dark is quite of a stretch, especially if you decide to ignore your contractor's orders and crash her ship to "save the world".

My guess is that she was there to kill her father when/if he had discovered what he wanted to discover; the ability or knowledge to live forever, and claim it for herself,
I think you're mixing two characters to make those assumptions about Vikers: Her and David. She has contempt for Weyland and says "Every king comes and goes" while David says "every son wants the death of their parents" in order to set free of their shadow.
As for the Engineers, Vikers seems skeptic and disdaining (there's a need for such character like this, yes) but she seems only curious not exactly gold-minig.
David on the other hand seems to actually be working all the time to get something out of the aliens. Both are under Weyland's shadow but not exactly cooperative.

They were not exposed to the storm long enough for the suits to take too much damage. Yes, it is a deadly storm, but they have to be in it long enough for it to be deadly.
The wind gusts where brutal, enough to lift her, to me it seems that those flying rocks we're deadly projectiles that would at least shatter they're visor and make them flinch of pain all the time. At least they could give them serious injuries for being exposed to a lapidation-type event.

I am starting to think that both those characters were not exactly what they initially said they were...

A much later version of David 8 called Ash (Alien) didn't have the necessary coding or hardware to limit the behavior.
Or they're roles were just badly depicted. Millburn doesn't play a role of a biologist ever... Not one contribution in his field. I guess he missed the opportunity to examine the head with Shaw and Ford.
Correct me if I am wrong, but in many situations you seem to interpolate a lot of a subplots from the sloppy breadcrumbs the movie gives, given that even those don't seem to be exciting or add more info to the main plot.
20-30 extra min or sequels don't make a movie in he theater where it should be if not at it's prime, at very good consumption level. And I won't see the BluRay :p

Anyway, I enjoyed it, and I don't think movies have to be transparent or always make sense to be appreciated, and I don't mind to be tricked or endure boring moments. As long it doesn't look like something to just pass by and keep going.

Cheers

kadri
06-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Alien was about an alien that looked really like an alien.
The Space Jockeys in Alien looked so much different too and we din't know anything about him.
Here we see him. And guess what it was a human in there .
WOW so much different then all of the Star trek series and what not other movies and series.
And Erich von Däniken was right! (Not) Yeah i thought this was a closed bad chapter long ago.

I was not bored but when you write a prequel ( it is a prequel ) more then 30 years later i expect that it is better.
If a sequel brings some answers does not concern me . I was not expecting the first chapter of a trilogy or what not.

If you want to see how to make a movie that have some unexplained things made right , watch 2001.
I think probably all of you here have seen it.
In Prometheus it is "have you seen the end? If you like this one we will explain some unexplained parts in the sequel! To be continued"
This movie is pure " i made Alien i will made this one so good as it and get the same attention ones more" go wrong.

After Black Rain i lowered my expectations about Ridley a long time ago.
He , like some other technical oriented directors in Hollywood is capable of making a good movie if he has a good script.
But then so are many others too there.

Prometheus isn't a disaster , only a ordinary Hollywood movie. It is not bad as say Transformers of course.
The problem was that the viral campaign was better as the movie itself.
Look at the first trailer or the video with David and then think about the movie itself.
Yeah it could be so much better. I think this is one of the reason we still speak about it :(

Cageman
06-17-2012, 03:59 PM
I was not bored but when you write a prequel ( it is a prequel ) more then 30 years later i expect that it is better.
If a sequel brings some answers does not concern me . I was not expecting the first chapter of a trilogy or what not.

It was, initially, intended to be a prequel, but it later became something else... a spinoff set in the same universe that has links to the Alien movies, other than that... no. Prometheus is something of it's own.

The biggest misstake, imho, is that too many people never bothered to learn about this before going into the cinema, expecting a prequel, not a spinoff.

Cageman
06-17-2012, 04:10 PM
The wind gusts where brutal, enough to lift her, to me it seems that those flying rocks we're deadly projectiles that would at least shatter they're visor and make them flinch of pain all the time. At least they could give them serious injuries for being exposed to a lapidation-type event.

Do you know what material the visors were made off? I mean, in the sci-fi universe of Prometheus... ?

Or they're roles were just badly depicted. Millburn doesn't play a role of a biologist ever... Not one contribution in his field. I guess he missed the opportunity to examine the head with Shaw and Ford.

Yes... he wasn't on the ship when they did examine the head. :)

Correct me if I am wrong, but in many situations you seem to interpolate a lot of a subplots from the sloppy breadcrumbs the movie gives, given that even those don't seem to be exciting or add more info to the main plot.

To me those things are, but each to its own, I guess... :) And, no.. they do not add to the plot itself, but rather makes me ask questions.

20-30 extra min or sequels don't make a movie in he theater where it should be if not at it's prime, at very good consumption level. And I won't see the BluRay :p

Spoonfeeding is tiresome at least... I want, for the moment, to enjoy speculating about all the questions this movie actually raised, which are the main thing this movie did at least for me. But then again, I have a lot of imagination about things related to the origin of mankind, life itself as well as religion... :)

rwhunt99
06-17-2012, 04:23 PM
I am not sure what everyone going in is expecting, but from the sound of it, if it isn't the most badass, stupendous flick ever, then it is total crap, and that smells of a totally bored "I've seen it all, impress me please before I throw up on you attitude.

I liked the movie, I paid for two of us to see in 3D - $16 for a matinee. I was interested in the visuals and I wasn't disappointed, I could tell it was a R.S movie and it did have the "Alien" feel to it. I felt that there were two characters miscast, and there were some "anomalies" in the movie, but overall, I enjoyed it and plan on buying the movie when it comes out on DVD. My wife screamed once, so I think she liked it too.

I enjoyed John Carter also, I am a big fan and was really disappointed with the story line as they pretty much killed the series by combining all the characters into one movie.

If you go in expecting Oscar winning performances, you will be disappointing most of the time, if you go in looking for fun and entertainment, you will have a better experience most of the time.

DigitalSorcery8
06-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Well.. I've noticed that there are apparently MANY jaded and cynical artists that expect something and when they don't get it, the movie is crap for them. I have to say that I REALLY feel sorry for these people. I really just go for the entertainment, not to tear it apart for inconsistencies here and there - or a poor or miscast performance here and there. At the end of the movie, I simply judge it by how much it entertained me for the short time I sat there and watched. As I mentioned before, people tear apart the Terranova TV show to shreds. I LOVE VFX and always watch the behind-the-scenes stuff and I know quite a bit about how VFX are created. And yet I can still enjoy a scene or show without having the things that weren't so great destroy it for me. My wife and I really liked Terranova and thought everything worked pretty well together. Was it perfect? No. But it certainly wasn't bad enough for us to pick it apart and say it sucked.

It's too bad people can't simply enjoy a film for plain entertainment. :yingyang:

Serling
06-17-2012, 08:17 PM
It was, initially, intended to be a prequel, but it later became something else... a spinoff set in the same universe that has links to the Alien movies, other than that... no. Prometheus is something of it's own.

The biggest misstake, imho, is that too many people never bothered to learn about this before going into the cinema, expecting a prequel, not a spinoff.

No, the biggest mistake was starting it as prequel then not finishing it as a prequel because they clearly left elements of the prequel untouched in the end.

When Shaw and David take off in the engineer ship looking for the engineer home world, that was plenty of material to build a spin-off out of without ruining what could have been a damn fine prequel!

I could overlook all the movie's other obvious shortcomings, but killing the engineer pilot in the lifeboat and renaming the planet when every other element of the movie screamed "prequel" is inexcusable.

They should remake the end for the Blu-Ray release with a Director's track of Scott repeating "Mea Culpa" the entire time.

probiner
06-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Yes... he wasn't on the ship when they did examine the head. :)I know, I was just using that to make a point that the guy contributes 0 in his supposed role. Even when he is going to touch the black goo, someone tells him to not touch it -_-'

Do you know what material the visors were made off? I mean, in the sci-fi universe of Prometheus... ?

But then again, I have a lot of imagination about things related to the origin of mankind, life itself as well as religion... :)

To me those things are, but each to its own, I guess... :) And, no.. they do not add to the plot itself, but rather makes me ask questions. mystery for mystery doesn't click to me if the mystery itself is not interesting.
You sound like dear ppl I know that liked Avatar because they thought they saw a sub-message or a sub-theme that clicked with their way of thinking about things and/or what they're searching.
That does not validate a movie with this range and look the other way from what is obviously wrong with the movie and excuse it. It would be like me saying the Passion of Christ was awesome because I'm christian.
At most when someone goes that route, he or she builds levels of understatement and enjoyment that can work for everyone.
Hollywood basic level of understatement and entertainment seema to be the visuals. Again and again... Sorry not good enough, even if for some people it can feel like a full feature.
So are we trapped between "SpoonFeeding" and "MoveForward" plots?

(snip) Terranova (snip). Was it perfect? No. But it certainly wasn't bad enough for us to pick it apart and say it sucked.

It's too bad people can't simply enjoy a film for plain entertainment. :yingyang:

Too bad they keep doing doing films for pseudo-entertainment and fail to understand that there is a certain level of awe that people expect to see, that starts not at VFX, but at basic levels as story and characters.

I'll say it again. I enjoyed Prometheus in the theater more then many other VFX movies I saw recently, for it's visuals, pace, tension and surprises.
But those inconsistencies did actually stopped me at times of "enjoying the film for plain entertainment."

Cheers

Dodgy
06-17-2012, 11:21 PM
<spoilers>

I enjoyed it, but the science was complete nonsense. They wouldn't have taken off their helmets as they had no idea what possible contamination they could experience, or slice open a biological organism outside of a sealed environment. They don't do that today for infectious people, they certainly wouldn't do it when they arrive on a new planet. Playing couchy coo with a new organism?

David's infecting of Charlie was understandable however. He wasn't as advanced as Ash or Bishop, and so wouldn't have the same morality programming, and he even asked his victim what Charlie would do to satisfy his curiosity. So in effect, Charlie killed himself by his words, solving David's ethical dilemma.

Charlize was the only vaguely believable response when Charlie tried to reenter the ship, but again, she failed to run sideways, brought a robotic medical bay onto the ship (to cover all emergencies) which was configured to only men, when really it would have had all medical emergencies programmed into it (They're short of storage for procedures in 2090?).
</spoilers>

It was fun, but certainly not believeable (from a logical standpoint). Usually I'd be annoyed enough to walk out of a movie like this, but the other things in it were enough to keep me seated.

kadri
06-18-2012, 12:39 AM
It was, initially, intended to be a prequel, but it later became something else...
a spinoff set in the same universe that has links to the Alien movies, other than that... no. Prometheus is something of it's own.

The biggest misstake, imho, is that too many people never bothered to learn about this before going into the cinema,
expecting a prequel, not a spinoff.

"I said it is a prequel " because they tried to cover it as it it a film of its own. No it isn't !
And i knew nearly everything from the beginning before i saw it.
I expected a movie of it's own as they said ,
but it was a movie that asked very hard questions but gave stupid answers and was a rehash of all the old Alien movies.

There isn't anything new .
I don't have the time to show you all the cliches and similarities with the old Alien movies .

If you present a movie like it is the answer to the origin of all life on earth
and then show me a life presentation of Erich von Däniken's books with a remake of earlier Alien movies ,
only patched with a lot of latex on it to hide this...sorry this doesn't work.

One of the problems (wow so many ones) is that if you have seen the old Alien movies
no one does trow at us so high philosophical , scientific questions .
They are pure action, horror, science fiction movies with only minimal questions buried in them itself.
They do not shout and good so. They are what they are and they are good at it.

Aliens for example is a strange movie for me.
I can not think of any other movie that i can see over and over again ...
I have seen it maybe more then 20 times and could see it now ones again easily .
But please think about it. What is it besides pure action, suspense, science fiction ,
vfx and good acting ? It is a kinda action oriented remake of the first one even.
But so many things gone smooth it is a joy to watch.

But they tried to sell this one as a thing that it absolutely not is . Too much hype.

Man of reasoning and man of action kind of difference.
Alien-s was the latter with minimal if any question but done very good.
Prometheus pretends to be a man of reasoning but is a stupid teenager that thinks he knows all
and thinks that all he makes is original and not done before !

Did you see Sunshine or Cargo ? They have their own problems ,
but they are more coherent and probably not worse then Prometheus!
Heck, i even had more guilty pleasure by watching Pandorum
(thanks to the spaceship thread and too much freetime) because i wasn't expecting the new Citizen Kane :D

Boris Goreta
06-18-2012, 03:41 AM
If you remember at the end of the movie David said there were more alien spaceships. There were more then 1 dome as seen at the beginning during descent. So as I see it the crew from Alien 1 probably discovered some of the other ships with the alien pilot trying to navigate the ship but his rib cage exploded at that moment.

"The commercial towing spaceship Nostromo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_%28film%29) is on a return trip from Thedus to Earth, hauling a refinery and twenty million tons of mineral ore, and carrying its seven-member crew in stasis. Upon receiving a transmission of unknown origin from a nearby planetoid, the ship's computer awakens the crew."

"Dallas, Kane, and Lambert discover that the signal is coming from a derelict alien spacecraft. Inside it they find the remains of a large alien creature whose ribs appear to have been exploded outward from the inside. Meanwhile, the Nostromo's computer partially deciphers the signal transmission, which Ripley determines to be some type of warning."

planetoid = moon Prometheus visits
a transmission of unknown origin = warning left by Shaw
derelict alien spacecraft = spacecraft disabled by Prometheus
large alien creature = spacecraft's pilot
ribs...exploded outward from the inside = manner in which alien pilot dies as seen in Prometheus

Every one of these elements from Alien is consistently explained in Prometheus except for one little detail: the alien pilot at the end of Prometheus didn't die in the pilot's seat of his derelict spacecraft, which is where the crew of the Nostromo finds him!

All Scott had to do was read the synopsis of Alien from Wikipedia! :D

Boris Goreta
06-18-2012, 03:49 AM
The geology guy had the latest tech for mapping the area with his scanning spheres or so called "wolfes" but when he tried to get back to Prometheus he gets lost ? Really ? With a detailed map available ?

The other thing that bugged me is when the main heroin ( can't remember her name, let's call her Ripley ) escaped to med pod, nobody tried to stop her for like 10 minutes even though she was supposed to be contained.

Such stupid things could have been easily avoided but they can be so annoying. For instance, geology guy shouldn't have gotten lost, instead he could have found some very interesting alien rock he wanted to explore and thereofre didn't get back in time.

wibly wobly
06-18-2012, 06:45 AM
I enjoy bad movies. You know, the ones that make you laugh at them for being so bad. I also like good movies. Ones that try to say something or makes me think. I'm seeing a lot more Hollywood movies these days that should be aiming higher (or shouldn't be made at all) then there used to be, that are and being passed off as ok because they're "fun". Why should I have to blow off critical elements of a story or characterization in order to enjoy something that should be taken seriously? I want to see more mainstream movies do more then waddle around in mediocrity or have another spoonfed plot. There are great movies being made these days but, they get little to no attention while films like this, that is full of problems, gets a ton of press.

lots of spoilers
http://www.toplessrobot.com/2012/06/robs_prometheus_faq.php#more

Serling
06-18-2012, 10:24 PM
If you remember at the end of the movie David said there were more alien spaceships.

Yes, but the problem remains: how many derelict engineer ships do we have to see in sequels before we get to the one Nostromo finds? The ship and the manner in which it becomes disabled in Prometheus is perfectly satisfactory for a prequel, which is what this movie started out to be until someone put profits before a good story.

So as I see it the crew from Alien 1 probably discovered some of the other ships with the alien pilot trying to navigate the ship but his rib cage exploded at that moment.

And again, this is something we just saw in Prometheus. I don't want to see it again! I want fresh meat, not Spam! :D

Serling
06-18-2012, 10:52 PM
I enjoy bad movies. You know, the ones that make you laugh at them for being so bad. I also like good movies. Ones that try to say something or makes me think. I'm seeing a lot more Hollywood movies these days that should be aiming higher (or shouldn't be made at all) then there used to be, that are and being passed off as ok because they're "fun". Why should I have to blow off critical elements of a story or characterization in order to enjoy something that should be taken seriously? I want to see more mainstream movies do more then waddle around in mediocrity or have another spoonfed plot. There are great movies being made these days but, they get little to no attention while films like this, that is full of problems, gets a ton of press.

lots of spoilers
http://www.toplessrobot.com/2012/06/robs_prometheus_faq.php#more

I laughed out loud so hard at your link I think I woke the neighbors! Here's a snippet (http://www.toplessrobot.com/2012/06/robs_prometheus_faq.php?page=2) that pretty much sums up what I've been trying to say here (only in a much funnier way: it's set up as a dialogue!)

So back to my original question: Is this an Alien prequel or not?

Okay. Remember how in Alien, they see the dead Space Jockey?

Yes.

Well, in Prometheus, there are many dead Space Jockeys. Remember the cockpit/gun-looking thing?

Yes.

There's one of those in Prometheus. Remember how the dead Space Jockey with the burst chest was in the cockpit/gun thingie?

Yeah...

Prometheus doesn't have that. The Engineer whose chest bursts dies without his Jockey helmet on in Prometheus' escape ship.

So it's not a prequel.

But remember the crashed spaceship the Nostromo crew finds? Prometheus has one of those. And don't forget Prometheus has Xenomorphs and Alien has Xenomorphs, which seem unlikely to have developed independently of each other.

So it is a prequel?

Alien has rows of eggs; Prometheus has the exact same thing except they're vases.

What the f***?

Basically, Prometheus sets up about 75% of Alien and then just stops. Meaning somewhere else in the Prometheus/Alien universe, something almost exactly the same as the events of Prometheus went down in order to bring about the circumstances that lead to Alien.

Uh-huh.

There is also the possibility that Ridley Scott is an a******.

Anything you want to add before I go bludgeon myself into unconsciousness?

I have to say, the blogs about this movie are more entertaining than the movie itself! Bravo, bloggers! Bravo! :thumbsup:

Serling
06-19-2012, 12:05 AM
Aliens for example is a strange movie for me.
I can not think of any other movie that i can see over and over again ...
I have seen it maybe more then 20 times and could see it now ones again easily .
But please think about it. What is it besides pure action, suspense, science fiction ,
vfx and good acting ? It is a kinda action oriented remake of the first one even.
But so many things gone smooth it is a joy to watch.

If Alien is a slow walk through a haunted house, Aliens is a roller coaster ride through Armageddon. Well, at least that's the way I like to think of the difference between the two. :thumbsup:

kadri
06-19-2012, 01:38 AM
I have to say, the blogs about this movie are more entertaining than the movie itself! Bravo, bloggers! Bravo! :thumbsup:

I was nearly going to write the same here :)

If Alien is a slow walk through a haunted house, Aliens is a roller coaster ride through Armageddon. Well, at least that's the way I like to think of the difference between the two. :thumbsup:

Yeah kinda :)

stiff paper
06-19-2012, 03:46 AM
Thanks for that toplessrobot link. The link on the second page to all the "Jesus removed from the screenplay" information is the first and only thing I've read that makes this idiotic film make any sense on any level in any way. And guess what, Mr Scott? Whether it's a little too "On the nose" or not, it's the fundamental hinge of the entire story, and you can't simply remove it and expect your story to still make sense.

Without the scene containing the Jesus information the film is dimwitted, nonsensical crap on a stick, albeit with pretty pictures.

With the scene containing the Jesus information the film would still be nonsensical crap on a stick with pretty pictures, but at least it would have a little bit more internal sense and logic, and at least you'd be able to see that the writers did at least have an idea in mind as to why anything that happens does happen.

Of course, the fundamental Jesus idea is the kind of thing that any reasonably intelligent human being thought of when they were twelve years old and then by the time they were fourteen looked back on it with deep embarrassment because it was so incredibly childish and obvious. And that's not to mention that it's an idea that's been covered in science fiction before, plenty of times.

Also, even having the Jesus information back in the film wouldn't save the screenplay. An awful lot of the things that happen don't happen because of anything in the "reality" of the story or because of plot development - they happen purely because of the writer's lunatic New Age viewpoint and his continuing religiosity. (And those are perfectly fine as subtext, but not really fine at all as the prime motivators in a Summer blockbuster.)

Serling
06-19-2012, 03:58 AM
Another funny snippet from the topless robot link (in earlier posts):

THE RECAP FAQ:

Okay, maybe you should just start from the beginning.

Some super-buff, pale blue dude walks a planet that is probably Earth but isn't necessarily, takes off a Jedi robe he's wearing some reason, drinks some black goop, disintegrates into his component DNA and starts life and evolution.

...okay. Is it Dr. Manhattan?

Couldn't see his dong; I don't know for sure.

A single zinger nails two movies with one shot! Priceless!

RebelHill
06-19-2012, 04:48 AM
Ahhh... Im going to have to go against the grain here and say I REALLY liked Prometheus. Folks keep comparing it to Alien, either in its "prequel" sense, or it's difference in suspense, plot, etc... But I say, no, this is nothing like Alien, and EVERYTHING like BladeRunner.

See, to an extent, I wasn't reli that engaged in the plot at all... the trailer gave it all away ("there'll be no home to go back to"... Crash,Boom!), and so by basically ignoring the plot, for the most part, and instead watching the characters... I found it quite good.

The lynch pin to that view is, ofc, David. If he weren't an artificial person, he would quite clearly be psychotic... but he is ofc, due to his nature, unable to be that. He's just plain amoral... not immoral, amoral... and that's a tough thing to pull off in a character much of the time.

Why does he infect Charlie? And what on earth does he say to the engineer at the end?? I mean, we know what we think he's supposed to be saying, but what does he ACTUALLY say?

Through all of this messed up stuff he does, there is utterly no hint of an explanation, there's NO character revelation whatsoever... and that's quite chilling I think. Especially set against the background we see at the start of him TRYING to make himself more "human", and the observations he makes to the others... "wouldn't you feel disappointed if you found you were made for no reason.... Wouldn't we all like to see our parents dead?", etc.

Its the juxtaposition between the happy clappy bright young and full of hope crew, and the menacing gentleness of David that really opens up the "vista" of the story to my mind. The way that the humans panic and fall apart on learning the truth, while he doesn't.

i think it's even alluded to in the movie itself... obv Scott had to make some kinda big screen spectacle to get anything made... but just look at the end... when the girl is so after carrying on, to find the answers, take revenge, whatever. What does David have to say... "It's irrelevant".

And that's how it really appears to me. The whole sci fi thing, the aliens, the "obvious" part of the plot... is pretty irrelevant, its just an environment in which to stage the real story, and that... I found really quite engaging.

wibly wobly
06-19-2012, 06:00 AM
I agree with you, there are some interesting things going on and there's a lot you can play with here. I don't think any of the ideas presented are new or groundbreaking at all but, they're fun to play with because arguably, none of us know. They've been done and talked about for I don't know how long, pretty much forever I'd wager and that's probably why they are so much fun. Anyway, I'm also with you that I think a lot of people went in expecting it to be an Alien prequel and came out really disappointed because it wasn't. I don't know if that's a failure of marketing or a failure of placing the story in the same world as Alien. The movie probably would have garnered less criticism if it was in a world unto itself.

What I find interesting is that apparently, from what I read (somewhere) that it was supposed to be a prequel until Damon Lindelof came on board. That's when the space Jesus thing came in. That's when Ridley started talking about it not being a prequel. Ridley has also openly talked about being anti religious a number of times so... I guess that's why he was gung-ho about the new plot ideas. I just wish people would spend as much energy on the script (or not wrecking them before or during shooting) as they do on other aspects of the film. There are gorgeous visuals and really nice moments in this film but, it's so marred by problems that I think it just ruins it. I can't imagine some of the great films of the glory days in the 70's being made now; movies like Network or 2001 or The China Syndrome. I can't see any major production house putting any money down on a script like them these days.

http://collider.com/ridley-scott-prometheus-deleted-scenes-interview/172202/

kadri
06-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Somewhere not much far away :

Jon Spaihts : Here is the script.

Ridley Scott: Some guys and Ripley,ops Elizabeth goes to a place that the early Alien scripts
in the earlier movies didn't used and get killed by an Alien that killed the other super humans there.
Hmm! That looks a little familiar! Couldn't you trow some questions about life or something in?
If you can get some unanswered question in i that we try to find the answer later ,
if this get enough money to green light a sequel hopefully!

Jon Spaihts : There are some writers who manage to be seen as guys that know what they do
until the last 1-2 episodes in some series and they make movie scripts as a result .

Ridley Scott : Find them!

Damon Lindelof : Here is the script.

Ridley Scott : Some guys and Ripley,ops Elizabeth goes to a place that the early Alien movies didn't used
and get killed by an Alien-opss Super human that was the only survivor of the other super humans that was killed there...
they find that they made all life on earth and they are hostile .
Meh! But there are big script errors lasting from the first one Lindelof ? And these questions?
They are big as i wanted , but how do we address them if this gets an sequel?

Damon Lindelof : No problem! I trowed a book that i randomly borrowed from a library in some backgrounds in Lost
and everybody made speculations weeks and weeks about it.
Pssst! I doesn't even read all those books it is hard to write scripts if you read all these books!
One or two guys who read too much in what we write , will come up with some explanations somehow in the internet .
We could use them too. So relax we will learn how it ends soon and how we can say this had this and that meaning actually :)

Ridley Scott : OK! And Lindelof ?

Damon Lindelof : Yes?

Ridley Scott : I didn't liked the last season of Lost. Please i hope you will be better in the hopefully sequel !

Damon Lindelof: But you watched the last season, didn't you?

Ridley Scott : Yes ...But...Oooh ! I see :)

shrox
06-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Is it worse than "Battlefield Earth"?

bazsa73
06-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Hell yeah, you cannot even talk about the two films on the same page. C'mon, you must see it anyways 'cos you are this spaceshipmaker guy and in this movie they really did the vechicle and the interiors. And the story is pretty good too. Displays well how ridiculously self important we are and childish and motivated only by desire for getting things we do not even know what are they and how much safer it is sitting on your butts in a Hobbit hole than rambling in caves on distant planets.

shrox
06-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Hell yeah, you cannot even talk about the two films on the same page. C'mon, you must see it anyways 'cos you are this spaceshipmaker guy and in this movie they really did the vechicle and the interiors. And the story is pretty good too. Displays well how ridiculously self important we are and childish and motivated only by desire for getting things we do not even know what are they and how much safer it is sitting on your butts in a Hobbit hole than rambling in caves on distant planets.

I live in a small town, and I usually wait for the "director's cut" on disc so I see the right movie.

Dodgy
06-19-2012, 06:09 PM
The lynch pin to that view is, ofc, David. If he weren't an artificial person, he would quite clearly be psychotic... but he is ofc, due to his nature, unable to be that. He's just plain amoral... not immoral, amoral... and that's a tough thing to pull off in a character much of the time.

Why does he infect Charlie?

I explained that further up. He wanted to know what would happen. He basically asks Charlie what he would do if he wanted to know something, and Charlie says he would do whatever neccesary. This basically gives David free rein to infect him. 'Do as you would be done by' as it were.

I agree he is the most interesting character, reflecting humanity with the small addendum that he KNOWS why he was created in so far as he has been able to ask his creator. Does he reflect how a humanity would be which actually knows its God? Amoral? Curiosity without moral restraint? I like to think not as there are lots of people out there now who don't believe in God but still remain moral, whilst there are people out there who believe in God but do completely amoral acts in the name of God. Is he amoral because of his disappointment with his creator?

prometheus
06-20-2012, 01:10 AM
Some vfx talk in cg society about Prometheus, I´m trying to avoid reading it thou, since it gives away things I want to experience first hand on the movie screen.

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/prometheus

I´m probably going next week.

Michael

prometheus
06-20-2012, 02:20 AM
Oops wrong thread

kadri
06-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Found this today. "The ALIEN Series – Modern Hollywood’s Rise and Fall and Wondering Why the **** Ridley Scott Gets So Much Credit for ALIEN"

http://theworstmovie.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/the-alien-series-modern-hollywoods-rise-and-fall/

Kinda fun read :)

bazsa73
06-20-2012, 03:13 PM
I live in a small town, and I usually wait for the "director's cut" on disc so I see the right movie.

I'm with you. I just watched for a 2nd time and foolishly had 2.5 dl beer before the spectacle which literally almost made me explode. So after the show I was emptying my urination gladder for minutes.

wibly wobly
06-22-2012, 05:34 AM
http://theworstmovie.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/the-alien-series-modern-hollywoods-rise-and-fall/

I liked that rant as well. I feel pretty much the same way he does about the way Hollywood movies have gone over the past 30 some off years.

djwaterman
06-26-2012, 07:00 AM
Well since I just came back from seeing it with my 3D glasses in hand I can now throw my opinion in with the rest.
The effects were top notch. It's not a good movie. The characters failed to engage and I blame the script for that.
3D as a story telling medium is a lost cause, constantly pulling me out of the story and forcing me to decide where to focus my attention. Lou Reed on MP3's "MP3's are a smart way to do something stupid." The same can be said for 3D, having seen Avatar and now Prometheus I'm no longer interested in 3D ever again and will avoid it ever more.
Did Ridley Scott really make this movie? It's so bad, a mess. I can go into all the nonsensical plot elements but there's too many.

Spoiler alert! Spoiler alert! Oh shut up who cares.

The original alien looked the way it did because it was a genetic mix between itself and the Space Jockey creature. But in this movie the Space Jockey looks human and the bio mechanical look is just a space suit. So the alien that explodes out of his body has no reason to look the way it does at the end of the film. This is the least problematic thing about the movie by the way.

It sits with all the other Alien movies after the first two. That's my thoughts on it.

dickbill
06-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Seen in 3d imax too. Top notch effects, stupid scenario. Because it's a mixed genre and some genres don't mix very well. If they wanted to make a philosophical point on some old rehearsed question (who are whe, where do we come from...), fine, the movie succeeded to that very well in the beginning...until the other genre came in, that is, the horror gore movie.
I liked the first scene the best, and the first 30 minutes, awesome. After that, When a stupid uneducated astronaut dude (unshaved, tatooed, dirty and with some redneck accent, in a high tech spaceship, really?) put his face right in front of an alien sucker to see it closer, it's like, duh, I have so no ideas of what's coming next.
Honestly, when you have a hot chick like Charlize Theron aboard, destroying her ship is not the first thing an honest alien should be thinking about.
About that, am I the only one to be extremely shocked that she didn't have sex with the black dude ? In an Hollywood movie, really ? It's almost racism.
Hopfully the awesome visuals save the movie. I give A+ to the cg artists, D- to the nazi scenarist.

bobakabob
06-26-2012, 12:59 PM
RebelHill, Dodgy, enjoyed your reading of David. He's a complex, fascinating jumble of amoral, vain, curious, resentful, isolated, misanthropic. I also find it a strength of the movie that as a result his motives are unfathomable. He may be sentient but his hyper intelligence only serves to emphasise his utterly non human persona. Fassbender plays the character superbly with subtle Hal like hints of an underlying destructive madness.

On the other hand it could be that the enigma of David is more happy accident than design, perversely down to truly bad scriptwriting rescued by brilliant acting. How come David is such a complex finely drawn mysterious character when the others are two dimensional hapless eedjits?

My biggest frustration with this film were the useless crew inducing laugh out loud moments. The captain, on loan from Airplane, plays a squeezebox, doesn't seem to know or care about anything for most of the movie but then unexpectedly bursts through a door with a dramatic explanation of Everything. The punk geologist ("I like rocks") who turns into a zombie crossed with the Elephant Man, that was the absolute pits.

Such a shame about the jumbled mess of a script and terrible characterisation because the visuals were breathtaking. The Engineers, the star chamber scene and landscapes created that Sense of wonder worthy of Kubrick's 2001.

RebelHill
06-26-2012, 01:10 PM
How come David is such a complex finely drawn mysterious character when the others are two dimensional hapless eedjits?

I think...

Because HE is what the movie is about... he IS the story. The rest of the story, the other characters, etc are just the set pieces, the vehicle, to deliver that story. The other characters kind of have to be stupid/happy clappy to provide the contrast against the clarity and openness of his journey, thoughts, and explorations... its a classic character based juxtaposition.

Watch the movie as a sci fi adventure/ horror/whatever, I agree... terrible schlock... Watch it as a character play about a central protagonist, and its wonderful, one of the best such films for many years, Shame excepted ofc... which coincidentally enough also stars the Fassbender... OMG, I swear, Im so hooked on that man atm, its only a matter of time before I begin stalking him, I tell you now.

bobakabob
06-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Agreed, a brilliant actor who takes Prometheus to another level.
Haven't seen Shame yet, but he's very good in Fishtank. Hard to believe it's the same person.

RebelHill
06-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Oh yeah... U gotta see shame... love it.

And LOVE fish tank too, I think that was the film that made me fall for fassbender.

wibly wobly
06-27-2012, 05:34 AM
I found my frustration with the film arises from what you guys are talking about. Parts of it are good and interesting but, there are so many other aspects of it that are so poorly done that it just induces the urge in me to table flip. It has so much going for it. I'm really sure there are things going on that we don't and won't know about until (unless) there's a sequel. Maybe producers walked in and rewrote parts, telling them they need some comedy here and some action there, jumbled up dialogue and characters. I don't know. It feels like the film was written by a bunch of different people.

robertoortiz
06-27-2012, 12:26 PM
I am with Rebel Hill, I liked the film a lot.
And I do wonder what the heck David told the Engineer?

bobakabob
06-27-2012, 03:45 PM
I am with Rebel Hill, I liked the film a lot.
And I do wonder what the heck David told the Engineer?

Interesting article here

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=62078

Wish they'd made more of this dramatic scene, it was all over in a flash :(

erikals
06-27-2012, 04:14 PM
[edit, see Robert answered it :]

i liked it... good movie.

 

erikals
06-27-2012, 04:27 PM
 
about the 3D effect, i don't like it all that much, the image becomes so damn dark.

where are the glasses-free cinemas?... only glasses-free monitors invented so far...

and larges monitor at the moment is 145" or so... (resolution is 8K)
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/27/2979902/panasonic-nhk-145-inch-8k-plasma-display

 

RebelHill
06-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Interesting article here

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=62078

Wish they'd made more of this dramatic scene, it was all over in a flash :(

A serviceable translation into English is:

"This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life."

I flipping well SAID it was more bladerunner than alien didnt I... DIDNT I!!!???

(Ok, RH, calm down.)

kadri
06-27-2012, 05:50 PM
A serviceable translation into English is:
I flipping well SAID it was more bladerunner than alien didnt I... DIDNT I!!!???...

It does not know what it is.
A little this and a little that but in the end it is not Bladerunner and not Alien and more importantly not a good movie !
Maybe by trying to not look like a prequel they made it worse (ironically).
I was trying to like it but there were so much WTF moments that i was catapulted out of the movie too much times.
I was more in critical observing mode rather then absorbed by the movie .
This did not happened with Bladerunner or Alien.

Fassbender is of course good! In fact there is only one big bad thing if you look closely and that is the script.
Really good movies do not come often unfortunately.
If you lower your standard and have not any knowledge of the movie you can have (maybe) a kinda fun time.
But then you are out of the Bladerunner or Alien-s league already.

Edit : Found this right now "Interview: 'Prometheus', Sci-Fi Writers Damon Lindelof & Jon Spaihts"
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/interview-prometheus-sci-fi-writers-damon-lindelof-jon-spaihts/

jasonwestmas
06-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Totally hardcore! I was laughing inside because of how candid the whole thing was. . . .Was like having my consciousness shoved up some alien's. . . .you know. Not much suspense and the writing needed help but definitely didn't hold much back on the graphical content.

antonis777
06-28-2012, 10:27 AM
dear movie creators, stop using the greek mythology to make money! you destroy our history!
thank you
a greek cityzen!

shrox
06-28-2012, 11:39 AM
. . . .Was like having my consciousness shoved up some alien's. . . .you know. Not much suspense and the writing needed help but definitely didn't hold much back on the graphical content.

Some alien's orifice?

jasonwestmas
06-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Some alien's orifice?

yes, it was like camping out there in all it's splendidly organic suffocation and shiny high tech intimidation. That's the best way to feel what I felt when I watched this film I guess. It was indeed a horror film but not the kind that plays with your mind too much. Strictly visual kind of experience.

erikals
06-28-2012, 04:21 PM
was set to age 15 over here...

so, who's up for the sequel > "Paradise" ? :]

or to re-frase, who's not...? :]

 

erikals
06-28-2012, 04:25 PM
If you lower your standard and have not any knowledge of the movie you can have (maybe) a kinda fun time.

these days i always go in with a "this movie will suck" attitude.
that way, the movie can only get better...

 

T-Light
06-28-2012, 06:04 PM
I HATED it!

Alien is so much more than a horror film. Brilliant characters, it made the movie. People talk about 'Aliens'in the same breath, Aliens was a superb horror movie but not a great movie, 'Alien' was something else.

I was totally depressed, the script was dreafull, the characters were dragged from the back alley of a poorly drawn soap opera, there was no depth.

Back in the late 70's, the original alien looked like the snouty singing muppet in Return of The Jedi (Jabba the Hutt palace dance scene), in came Giger and changed the whole horror aspect. Seems Ridley Scott chucked the essential character and horror aspect and went with the original 70's idea. What a mistake to make.

Another thing...
We sat for half an hour watching television adverts waiting for the film to start, Chr*st on a bike, I won't be doing that again in a hurry.

I agree with Cresshead, if the cinema experience doesn't improve, UK cinema is dead in the water.

T-Light
06-28-2012, 06:17 PM
(SPOILER ALERT)
This I like, sorry if it's been mentioned...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0&feature=related

The original Red Letter Media's take, along with other critics, seemed, a little biassed. Maybe it was me. The above link sums the movie up better.

probiner
06-28-2012, 09:07 PM
A Klein Bottle filled with holes isn't more interesting than an average Rubik's Cube.

Serling
06-29-2012, 04:23 AM
I liked the effects, too (for the most part), but it's a shame a movie with such promise ended up such a muddled mess. Poor script sank this one. All Scott had to do was stick with the prequel idea and let the script write itself, because all a prequel has to do is set up the story that follows in the films made earlier. He wasn't going to make a better Alien than the one he had already made. He simply needed to let Prometheus introduce the Alien universe to us.

He rode that "fail boat" all the way down the river, through the rapids, and over the falls.

jasonwestmas
06-29-2012, 06:50 AM
He simply needed to let Prometheus introduce the Alien universe to us.

He rode that "fail boat" all the way down the river, through the rapids, and over the falls.

Sounds like the first scene in the movie. :D Actually I think a lot of the elements to support the Alien Universe were there except the writing and dialogue were just too ambiguous.

wibly wobly
06-29-2012, 10:10 AM
I just skimmed through the images while I wait for a render to finish and.... it makes me more frustrated with the film. There's a lot here, a lot missing from the theatrical cut, ideas, themes, sets, you name it. A lot of beautiful work there that never saw the light of day in the theater. I'm more then curious about a longer edit now.

http://www.prometheusforum.net/discussion/1646/high-quality-scans-from-prometheus-the-art-of-the-film/p1

erikals
06-29-2012, 10:12 AM
only one way to settle this...

a Poll... :P :]
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=129055

 

Cageman
06-29-2012, 03:17 PM
And again, this is something we just saw in Prometheus. I don't want to see it again! I want fresh meat, not Spam! :D

I think, with a bit of imagination, you can figure out that part yourself. Why do you want to see something you know has happened?

I rather see Shaw and David in a sequel, visiting the Engineer homeworld and find out all those questions Prometheus rised (not the stupid questions like why someone who are in panic runs forwards rather than sideways when something comes rolling towards them).

erikals
06-29-2012, 04:08 PM
(not the stupid questions like why someone who are in panic runs forwards rather than sideways when something comes rolling towards them).

barely stupid imo, also this is a movie.
like in a horror movie, the audience shouts "don't open the door"
hey, maybe there was a good reason to open the door, what do i know, but from most of the audience point of view, it just looks > really > stupid :/

like so many directors have said before, if it doesn't contribute to the story, don't throw it in.

 

kadri
06-29-2012, 04:36 PM
After i saw the movie i had just a little hope that the directors cut in the DVD version
would make some of the meaningless parts a little bit better (the concept is bad to begin with, but anyway).
But i saw an interview with Ridley Scott and basically he said this was the version he liked
and that there were unused parts that would make the movie 20 minutes or so longer and deleted parts we could watch in the DVD.

This unfortunately means basically that Ridley Scott likes this version we saw 8~

Here : http://collider.com/ridley-scott-prometheus-deleted-scenes-interview/172202/

jasonwestmas
06-29-2012, 07:26 PM
well it wasn't up to par with gladiator, that's for sure.

tyrot
06-30-2012, 07:36 AM
if someone else directed this movie - he would be crucified already. I have never encountered that much plot holes in a movie.

I really wanna watch a movie directly from MPC, Digital Domain etc. Because i cannot find any directorial contribution anyway.

Cageman
06-30-2012, 10:35 AM
barely stupid imo

Ask these people (http://home.tiac.net/~cri_b/darwin/darwin.html) (if they were alive) whhhyyyyy did you do it?

Human stupidity...

erikals
06-30-2012, 10:57 AM
film is not about reality, if it looks stupid, it often is stupid :]
(some people were actually laughing when watching that scene)
like i said, if it doesn't contribute, leave it out, a better way.

Serling
06-30-2012, 04:12 PM
What's interesting to me about most of these comments is that people (including myself) are really disappointed. Those of us old enough to have seen Alien in its original, theatrical release were truly blown away by it and, speaking only for myself here, I was terribly disappointed that Prometheus wasn't at least as good. Not even close.

I wasn't expecting a remake of Alien but I was expecting a movie exhibiting the same craftsmanship from the director who made Alien. As others have pointed out, the fault was with an unfocused and unimaginative script and a director perfectly willing to settle for such swill.

The visuals were pretty awesome. It's too bad the script didn't do them justice.

wibly wobly
07-03-2012, 05:26 AM
I wasn't expecting a ground breaking film either. I was expecting something that at least made sense and proposed some interesting ideas for what the heck was going on with these critters and where they came from. In the end, I think Zardoz was far more coherent than this movie was.

stiff paper
07-03-2012, 08:40 AM
...I think Zardoz was far more coherent...

Hey!

Zardoz is way better than Prometheus.

Wade
07-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Had to watch Star Ship Toopers and the 5th Element to reset my mood after Prome. After seeing all three in as many days SST and 5th hold up very well as stories and better made than Prome.

pauland
07-03-2012, 04:48 PM
I was disappointed by prometheus - for some of the same reasons already mentioned.

It was visually stunning and felt like a cross between 2001 and Alien. It tries to mix the "profound" of 2001 with the Alien franchise - the pace and dialog of the film made me often think of 2001 and I did wonder about the Alien connection and why it didn't work.

In Alien the tension is cranked up with claustrophobic sets, but prometheus goes for the open vista and never quite cranks up the tension at any point to that experienced in the Alien franchise.

All that said, I will buy the Blu-ray and will look forward to watching it again. I've thought about the film a lot since watching it and I think my impression of the film has grown since watching it.

But then again, I was pretty annoyed when BBC cancelled Outcasts.

I can tolerate the problems in prometheus, but it's not what it could and should have been.

kadri
07-06-2012, 10:04 PM

"PROMETHEUS Blu-ray Details Revealed"

http://collider.com/prometheus-blu-ray-deleted-scenes/177495/

I am curious about the scripts too.I would love to read the Alien prequel and the changed version. I hope this is what they say.

-EsHrA-
07-07-2012, 03:24 AM
well it wasn't up to par with gladiator, that's for sure.

errrrr...

jasonwestmas
07-07-2012, 07:14 AM
errrrr...

So you assume I was saying that gladiator was the best movie ever. . .figures.

-EsHrA-
07-07-2012, 08:44 AM
So you assume I was saying that gladiator was the best movie ever. . .figures.

ah luckily! was scared there for a moment! :)

prometheus
07-07-2012, 09:19 AM
What's interesting to me about most of these comments is that people (including myself) are really disappointed. Those of us old enough to have seen Alien in its original, theatrical release were truly blown away by it and, speaking only for myself here, I was terribly disappointed that Prometheus wasn't at least as good. Not even close.

I wasn't expecting a remake of Alien but I was expecting a movie exhibiting the same craftsmanship from the director who made Alien. As others have pointed out, the fault was with an unfocused and unimaginative script and a director perfectly willing to settle for such swill.

The visuals were pretty awesome. It's too bad the script didn't do them justice.

Creating masterpieces might be easier for one person, how can one tell that this movie really will hit the audiencie right in the kisser:)

I mean, all craftmanship that went in to alien was just so right and mixed soup of skilled artist ..right down to a great script too.

here they had the same demanding director, even HR Giger for some creature work I think, but failed in the script for many it seems, then it couldn´t possible be the right timing regarding the topic of the plot.

At the time alien came out it felt quite uniuqe and as something we´ve never seen before even thou it actually had stolen a lot from other older B movies.

What amazes me, was the follow up of alien that cameron wrote the script for as I recall, and how well executed it was and brought another level of tension to it, not the same as the first, different but very much in connection to the first movie.

But hey..as said before, just because someone has made masterpieces in a genre doesn´t mean it will happen again, thinking of how James Cameron worked for many years with Avatar, and I can understand how the fuzz went about them creating something never seen before etc, but I do not think it reached to a wow factor level to fit in amongst alien or aliens really, and that goes for both story,music, and visual effects.

So many things need to come in place and in right timing for shaping a good movie really.

I still haven´t seen Prometheus, partly blaming the bad reviews here causing my lack of interest.

Michael

Mr Rid
10-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Wow. I finally saw Prometheus. At no point did I have any positive expectation. The last time I enjoyed a Scott movie was in the 80s. After which I thought he fell into slick, hollow, over-produced, by the numbers, and merely adequate at best. Film-savvy friends all warned how awful and nonsensical Prometheus was. I stopped having expectations for movies after the utter nightmare that was Return of the Jedi, although I enjoy 'good bad' movies, particularly big studio disasters, and I appreciate dumb genre films for what they are. So it was surprising to find Prometheus even worse than I already did not expect. Like every studio genre movie of recent decades with a budget to rival the GNPs of many countries, it had slick visuals "Full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing", but the script and characters are so inexplicably contrived and ridiculous, like one of those Sharktopus, made-for-SyFy channel things.

The obvious lack of care about a decent script, is epitomized in the scene with the two characters who first meet an alien (SPOILER). These two are the biggest scaredy-cats of the group, who want to run back to the ship at the first sign of 2000-years dead alien carcasses (one would naturally wonder what killed them). One of the pathetic 'Brett-&-Parker' clones is a punk-rock geologist who makes it clear he is only there for the money and does not give a crap about anyone but himself (doomed by formula, like Brett, Parker, Burke, etc). For some contrived reason, the two wind up lost inside the alien structure, even though the path they entered by was not complicated (and while the others had no problem walking out), and one of them prides himself on his special devices for searching and mapping the environment, and with all the the future tech, the ship or anyone else has no sort of tracking device or compass (oh wait, they did). The two dispensable 'red-shirts' are informed of a mysterious lifeform blip on the ship scanner, in their vicinity, and the two guys freak out and hightail it in the opposite direction of the blip.

Now, we all know that really cliche sci-fi scene where the humans beam down or whatever to an uncharted world, and they encounter some cute alien or flower that suddenly sprouts fangs and tentacles, and tries to kill them? Big surprise, you had NO idea that was coming, as parodied in Galaxy Quest where dispensable 'Guy' admonishes, "Sure they're cute now, but in a second they're gonna get mean, and they're gonna get ugly somehow, and there'll be a million more of them... didnt you guys ever watch the show?!"

So a few minutes later, our two weenies who are afraid of the dark and a blip, encounter the first alien which swims out of some sinister black goo that was not around a minute ago, and it is definitely NOT cute, but is distinctly cobra-like and hissing. Naturally, the two suddenly forget their self-preservation panic, or that something killed the SUPER engineers, and any schlocky sci-fi/horror creature feature ever made before 2093, and they decide to walk toward this thing and treat it like a fuzzy bunny. Guess what happens... and the critter was not even deceptively cute! This is just one out of every scene that contains awful dialogue and characters suddenly behaving in silly direct-to-video ways that contradict any logic, internal or otherwise. Given the director's rep, the budget, the viral hype (which was more interesting than the movie), and all the time and money they had to gestate an alien prequel, this Scooby Doo episode is the best they could come up with? I can not believe how many critics were kind to this pretentious turd, while treating something much more fun and lighthearted as John Carter like it was the plague. I am really perplexed.

Actually the brilliant RedLetterMedia has done my job for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0 B

Yup.

Serling
10-11-2012, 05:15 PM
I can not believe how many critics were kind to this turd, while treating something much more fun and lighthearted as John Carter like it was the plague.

Now that you mention it, while John Carter had issues if its own it was a lot more fun than Prometheus. Much can be forgiven of JC considering the subject of Mars, and what we know about it today, versus what E.R. Burroughs knew of it when he wrote the book upon which the movie was based.

JC was a "period piece." What excuse is there for Prometheus? :grumpy:

Serling
10-11-2012, 05:18 PM
like one of those Sharktopus, made-for-SyFy channel things.

Given the budgets of both and the low expectations that come with a "Sharktopus" going in, Sharktopus shines by comparison.

erikals
10-11-2012, 05:22 PM
well, 41% are not gonna see the just announced sequel (http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/aug/02/prometheus-sequel-ridley-scott)...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129055-Did-you-like-Prometheus

:]

Mr Rid
10-11-2012, 10:54 PM
well, 41% are not gonna see the just announced sequel (http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/aug/02/prometheus-sequel-ridley-scott)...
:]

Oh but the next one will actually be good because, "Ridley is incredibly excited about the movie, but we have to get it right. We can't rush it."

Unlike on Prometheus, where apparently "Ridley couldnt give a flying f*** at age 73 with his $180 million net worth, so we just sat around stoned for a week, hacking together old, 1950s monster movie scripts."

probiner
10-12-2012, 03:45 AM
Definetly not seeing the next in-line. Again, I enjoyed the thrilling Prometheus "ride" except from the giant plot/logic locusts splashing in my face cause it had no windshield...

Some mention the philosophic part of the movie. Having just watched 2 days ago the DVD of "Wings of Desire", even though the ride and genre are different, we can certainly navigate on what the movie, in a non obvious manner, draws out for us, getting lots of lateral senses, while appreciating what's on the screen, while being gifted with small meaningful details. So I don't think one can point out that in Prometheus and there "it's saved".

Cheers

erikals
10-12-2012, 05:59 AM
LoL, too true Ridlen... :]

safetyman
10-12-2012, 06:48 AM
I just watched the DVD last night, after that thrilling baseball game put me in a really good mood (Nats walk-off homer!!!). Maybe my mood tainted my view of the film, but I actually enjoyed it. Sure, there are many many stupid characters (no one would take off their helmet on an alien planet or try to hug an alien cobra, going on a major expedition without knowing why, etc., etc., etc.), but I could care less about what the body-count crew were going to do. I loved the special effects by MPC and Weta, and others, and I sort of enjoyed the film from a broader perspective. All we needed was someone to discover the Engineers and we can go from there. Who cares if the entire crew does stupid stuff and gets slaughtered? That's Hollywood's formula, so you kind of expect it (I call it the "Bad Karma" effect).

Look at it this way: Now we have some new aliens (the Engineers) to put into future films.

Sure, there are many questions that were unanswered, but that's what we love about Alien; a lot of questions that make us want to know more. If we are given all the answers, we're most likely not going to want to learn anything more. I hate movies that insult us by feeding us info like we're 10-year-olds. Life doesn't work that way. We get an answer and that creates 2 more questions.

The plot was total crap, but I still enjoyed the film.

Nemoid
10-13-2012, 06:18 AM
I saw movie as well. All i can say is that i liked it visually, but did'n like it that much story wise.

The ideas at the base of the movie are fascinating: the quest for the origin of humankind, the faith of dr. Shaw opposed to rationalism, Weyland searching the secret of immortality...but this stuf is treated badly, it does emerge a bit, but not into a deep way.

Characters aren't so well developed except for Dr. Shaw and David (of course they actually are the relevant chars of the movie) but what about Weyland and Vickers ? Weyland we know only it is an old man, leader of his corporation, searching for secret of immortality. Ok.. and so ? Why ?
We don't happen to know his reasons (fear, desire of power, whatever). Some more lines when Shaw enters in his room for chance, would have been useful for us to know hm better.
His supposed daughter, Vickers, is actually a flat character, shadowed by David. Theron plays well, but lines of dialogue are what they are.
All other characters are even more flat, they are like Ghosts. Their behaviour goes from stupid ( the 2 scientists with the alien) to nonsense (in the scene with head exploding they act into a non scientific way at all - Vickers excaping landing in the planet and then dies in silly way)

Even engineer should have been presented into a more mysterious way, it is presented like into a Scooby doo episode for real it would have been better if he was somewhat unable to move for awhile, or have to recover after ages of crionic sleep and they could try to communicate with him and actually fail at the end. There was no sense of mistery.
He seems to have no real reason to immediately destroy David and kill Weyland since no one of them attempted to damage him in any way and even in the case of him being actually evil or gone wild after some infection as it happens because of the mutated alien to one of the scientists, (it is not presented like this though) he could have a more fascinating behavior, for example literally capturing them, having to seek for them. this would have been scaring. Instead that scene was no scaring at all.

I could go on and on to about how whith same elements used into a different way, the movie could have been way better. This is what make the movie bad. Some nice ideas, some nice elements to play with, good questions, and total failure to use those into a clever and fascinating way.

erikals
10-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Questions Answered...! >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avXZVgzLP68

bazsa73
10-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Hi Everyone,
I enjoyed this movie without having any preconception about it, (or post conceptions). What grabbed beside the spectacular visuals was how human nature was presented in its true nature: driven by stupidity, foolishness and eagerness. I saw the show as a drama where everyone wanted real bad something including the "engineers". And they all failed, except the lady scientist perhaps because she was the only one who realized that she is not intact, that she is crippled, weak and as a consequence: human. As for the other scientist, were not their vision clouded by their narrow focus onto their own specific field, like the smoker guy and the biologist? Or the partner of Noomi Rapache character? He explicite declared he would give anything for having the truth. Or Mr Weyland who in his insolence forgot humbleness and woke up a 1000 years old creature from its sleep demanding answers for his selfish questions. Who wouldn't have been enraged by a mummy like him, staggering in an exoskeleton. Of course the lack of humbleness proved to be the bane of the engineers as well. They worshipped, as seen on the altaire a bizarre genetically created monster.

If I should put it shortly into a few sentences, I would say all the folks in the movie forgot how our humbleness preserves us on the way (tao) reaching our goals, and all those who are not aware of this fact ultimately fail as all did in the film. The engineers, the scientists, the robot and the rich guy. The only one who escaped was the Rapache woman because she realized that she is weak, she is not intact as others. At least her confession was enough evidence for me. Of course the captain was the other, almost forgot to mention, because he clearly declared : he doesn't give sh*t about it. And he acted in a very noble way, in a heroic way being himself in the final moment. Who could predict that? So I liked the movie, yes. Great show with adequte drama.

That's my 2 cents guys. Cheers.

cagey5
10-13-2012, 01:12 PM
I came out of the film somewhat irritated by the flippancy in the way it was scripted, that has since grown to annoyance when I think back on it and the time and money I wasted. I liked some of the effects :)

Mr Rid
10-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Hi Everyone,

If I should put it shortly into a few sentences, I would say all the folks in the movie forgot how our humbleness preserves us on the way (tao) reaching our goals, and all those who are not aware of this fact ultimately fail as all did in the film. The engineers, the scientists, the robot and the rich guy. The only one who escaped was the Rapache woman because she realized that she is weak, she is not intact as others.
That's my 2 cents guys. Cheers.

In quoting you, my intention is not to take issue with you, but rather the filmmaker's lazy choices. Your interpretation sounds that basically they were all a-holes who had it coming, except for the nice lady who we feel sorry for because she cant have babies, and she is the only scientist in existence who believes the world began with a talking snake (and the bland casting choice is not even in the same galaxy of strong female leads as Weaver). This is indeed the simplistic intention of the writer.

So the super genius Weyland squandered a trillion bucks, risking his life he so desperately held dear and his life's work on an extremely dangerous mission, by deliberately selecting the most idiotic, selfish, incompetent, mismatched group of specialists he could scrounge up, who cant find their way out of a circle even though it is thoroughly scanned as a detailed hologram that tracks their every move, and Weyland fully expected them to bungle like stupid teenagers, argue, get stoned, take their helmets off, jeopardize everyone and the mission by ignoring worms in their eyes, pet penis-cobras, and wind up impregnated/infected so David could freeze'em and take them back to wipe out the Earth, facilitating the engineers' convoluted and self-defeating jobs for them. At no point do any of the scientists behave as scientists, let alone as scientists a hundred years ahead of us. And the super-advanced super-engineers behave only as one-dimensional, mindlessly aggressive brutes.

You may project all the thematic meaning you want into it, but the plot fails at any surface logic. A good script would manage to balance both. It pretends to be cerebral and relevant one moment, then shifts into Ed Wood territory the next. Its like self parody at times, with scenes similar to the first movie like the blathering decapitated droid. And its not just the script, but shoddy execution thruout, like the decision to use a young actor in utterly unconvincing old-man makeup, instead of casting an older performer. Or the stupid way the two chicks run longways for hundreds of yards to escape the rolling ship, instead of stepping 30 feet to the side. And how was a 2000 year old, decapitated head perfectly preserved and so easily revived? The whole head pop scene is just layers of nonsense. Why would anyone be expected to take this premise for the origin of life seriously?

But this 'bad guys get killed and nice people live' template is horror formula 101 manipulation. But that is not how reality works. When it rains, it dumps on everyone, good and bad. Innocent people get stomped all the time, and selfish pricks wind up "winning!." Breaking with formula is part of what I really admired about the much maligned Alien 3 as opposed to the popcorn predictability of Cameron (where again, the bad people die, and the nice pretty white people live). Fincher immediately dispensed with the easy pathos of the cute kid and the goodly warrior, or any plot-convenient gadgetry. The only compassionate character, Ripley's love interest, is abruptly dispatched too, and the heroine is left with no choice but suicide, while some jerk survives. Not predictable formula.

I really expect a little more thought to go into it all. But like the engineers, the creators of the franchise turn out to be self-serving buttheads with disdain for any intelligent life out there.

Everyone I know (including two professional screenwriters) feels similarly annoyed at what the director got away with 'Scott free.' So with such high expectation, the part where I am really baffled is why the majority of critics were light on Prom, to even recommending (73% on RT is incomprehensible). Meanwhile, I cant understand why they all jumped on the same bash wagon over the serviceable escapism of John Carter that is not genius, but plainly its not nearly as bad as any Michael Bay vomit, or the George Pucas prequels. Did the critics all receive a whore and some blow in the mail from Fox that Disney failed to spring for? What is going on?

This amusing chat with an engineer says it- 108525

kadri
10-13-2012, 03:57 PM
" In-Depth Analysis of Big Chase Sequence in 'The Dark Knight' "
http://vimeo.com/28792404#
(this may posted here somewhere too probably)
Not everybody will look at these movies at this level and do not have to.

But "Prometheus" is a mess(especially the script) and i am surprised too how this movie can get so much love from anybody.
And yes Mr Rid's John Carter deserved absolutely more attention if we compare it to this wreck.
You do not have to take a deep analysis to see it flaws and i am still angry at what i saw after that very clever viral campaign.
Aliens wasn't about deep philosophic ideas etc.
And what they tried to show us was like a young boys scify script adapted from Daniken.
I tried to watch it ones more and couldn't bear watching.

Sad for the time i waste here by writing about it.
I hope in time it will be clearer how bad and commercial this movie is.

probiner
10-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Guys, guys... just let the B chick movies guy walk you home about Prometheus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94wR0NfewE

Then we all can say "Interesting, but apart from the thrill, this whole thing, as a movie, still sucked!" and move on to something else :D

Mr Rid
10-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Guys, guys... just let the B chick movies guy walk you home about Prometheus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94wR0NfewE :D

'The Rubik's cube signifies you are about to be treated to a plastic, pop gimmick designed to make money.'

I could only endure the first few minutes before he appropriately compared to Daniken pretention. He doesnt actually say much, like how symbolic the opening sequence allegedly is, but ventures nothing about what it means. I was immediately annoyed at the Prom opening as being just a string of pretty shots (typical of the Scott brothers), but devoid of meaning beyond just the obvious moisture=squirmy things. And the opening music was too pretty and familiar to cue for epic 'alien' or 'mysterious' stuff about to happen, unlike Alien.

prometheus
10-14-2012, 11:43 AM
I watched it some month ago too, and yes the dialog isn´t good, acting, probably only David the butler reaches some good level.
Some vfx pretty decent stuff, but the stuff that bother´s me the most was the actual xenomorph creatures, which I felt looked plain silly
I recall HR giger commenting on his first creature draft of the face hugger for Alien 1, which in fact seem to be what they followed through
with on Prometheus, his first draft was a giant squid like monster face hugger, but I think it was to impractical at that time and he went
for the smaller hand face hugger creature. (bigger isn´t always better I heard a girl say somewhere:))
And personally I felt that the smaller face hugger was way more scary actually than this giant squid.

The worm like and cobra like creature was quite boring too, and what was then xenomorphed from the engineer was quite dissapointing too, to bad since I think giger was involved in some of this...but nothing here was horryfing or elegant in design really.
The soundtrack score didn´t hold up either, except for some small parts in the end perhaps.
And in general...the whole mood or thrill was lacking...thrill simply, even though you could argue that the whole movie´s concept
was not aimed for horror, more depth scifi- but it failed in both.

Even so...I still enjoyed a few parts in there, but the movie will probably not linger as a top movie or something that is a landmark
in movie history.
probably 3 stars out of 5..barely.

Michael

- - - Updated - - -

I watched it some month ago too, and yes the dialog isn´t good, acting, probably only David the butler reaches some good level.
Some vfx pretty decent stuff, but the stuff that bother´s me the most was the actual xenomorph creatures, which I felt looked plain silly
I recall HR giger commenting on his first creature draft of the face hugger for Alien 1, which in fact seem to be what they followed through
with on Prometheus, his first draft was a gigant squid like monster face hugger, but I think it was to impractical at that time and he went
for the smaller hand face hugger creature. (bigger isn´t always better I heard a girl say somewhere:))
And personally I felt that the smaller face hugger was way more scary actually than this gigant squid.

The worm like and cobra like creature was quite boring too, and what was then xenomorphed from the engineer was quite dissapointing too, to bad since I think giger was involved in some of this...but nothing here was horryfing or elegant in design really.
The soundtrack score didn´t hold up either, except for some small parts in the end perhaps.
And in general...the whole mood or thrill was lacking...thrill simply, even though you could argue that the whole movie´s concept
was not aimed for horror, more depth scifi- but it failed in both.

Even so...I still enjoyed a few parts in there, but the movie will probably not linger as a top movie or something that is a landmark
in movie history.
probably 3 stars out of 5..barely.

Michael

prometheus
10-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Ohh..crap this is more scary than the movie prometheus...forum poo, freeze..ergo double post update...sigh.

Silkrooster
10-17-2012, 01:11 AM
Did HR Giger that is on this forum work on the movie? I thought I saw his name in the credits.

Not too bad of a movie, left me wanting more. I felt like the ending was a bit of a cop out. Not much for the enemy in this movie, I would have loved to see some dialog that gave a few answers. But it did leave it open for a sequel. If anything I felt like the robot was the enemy and he took care of all of them for two years. Don't make much sense.

All in all, I think I would rent the sequel if there is one. I am kind of a sucker for that type of movie.

BeeVee
10-17-2012, 02:12 AM
"Our" HR Giger is Steve White IRL. :D

B

erikals
10-17-2012, 08:30 AM
HR Giger the Lightwaver, LoL... : D

Silkrooster
10-18-2012, 01:17 AM
Ah yes. I totally forgot his real name. And it would make more sense to use his real name in the credits. Anyway, thanks for the reminder, not saying it will stick, but thanks anyway. :)

Nemoid
10-18-2012, 06:36 AM
it's clear that the movie is made from various levels.
One is the lots of unanswered questions that arise: who are the engineers, why did they create life and us, what is the black goo, etc, and this is the interesting part. Opens up to a whole lot of speculations, questions, and this can be great for a movie.

But at a surface level all the rest, regarding characters, is quite crap, at least on the theatrical release. I don't agree that much on the theory Weyland choosed silly members for the crew, simply because that mission was a totally private one, totally financed by Weyland corporation.
He could have choosen not scientists but normal astronauts, whatever, and let David think about the real mission.

Instead he has Halloway and Shaw, mainly because they work together and because she is a believer, but how comes all the rest of the crew is quite silly people ?

Makes no real sense. From a filmaking point of view, if there are characters, they have to be somewhat developed and understandable for viewers to believe in the story, even when their role is not major.

The more relevant the character is for the viewer, the more impression it does when he/she dies in the movie, because viewer cares for him/her somewhat. this is where the movie totally fails. We don't care at any of the characters at all, because they're not presented the right way.

About the real HR Giger i believe he was involved more on murals we can see, with the xeno and Prometheus representation as well, while he was not that involved in creature design.
They would have been way scarier if he did.

safetyman
10-19-2012, 05:51 AM
I was catching up on some recorded stuff last nite (Fringe :)) and there was an ad for the DVD release of Prometheus. I noticed in the trailer that they showed some things that I didn't see in the DVD that I have:

1) A bunch of hooded Engineers standing around in a group
2) The alien baby at the end was facing the other way.

I didn't see #1 at all in either the movie itself or the deleted scenes, and I figure #2 was just a flipped version of what was shown during the film. Am I missing something here or does the Blu-Ray have an "extended" cut?

jasonwestmas
10-19-2012, 06:28 AM
I came out of the film somewhat irritated by the flippancy in the way it was scripted, that has since grown to annoyance when I think back on it and the time and money I wasted. I liked some of the effects :)

You don't go to the theater much then. :) I guess you spent a lot for you ticket. . .I feel for you.

kadri
10-19-2012, 06:45 AM
Watch something like this movie guys if you haven't already.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1305806/combined

Very different of course.
But this is a real movie.
Prometheus is trash when you compare it it to such movies especially.
If you can pass the first 15-20 minutes you will be rewarded with one of the best movie experiences.
You will not forget this movie.
And there is a part in the movie that surprised me from a VFX point too.
I did not expected such effects in this movie because it doesn't needed them...but they were very good.
I saw a DVD version so i am not sure how it is on the big screen.

gerry_g
10-19-2012, 05:25 PM
keep meaning to get this from Amazon, must see it before the Hollywood remake hits and ruins it for me, Prometheus was garbage still then again a movie that ends with a woman walking off with a mans head in her bag can't be all bad :-)

erikals
10-19-2012, 05:46 PM
...still then again a movie that ends with a woman walking off with a mans head in her bag can't be all bad :-)

LoL : D

kadri
10-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Lol :)

Nemoid
10-20-2012, 07:19 AM
hahaha not a man's head. an android one. XD

robertoortiz
10-22-2012, 09:25 AM
I was catching up on some recorded stuff last nite (Fringe :)) and there was an ad for the DVD release of Prometheus. I noticed in the trailer that they showed some things that I didn't see in the DVD that I have:

1) A bunch of hooded Engineers standing around in a group
2) The alien baby at the end was facing the other way.

I didn't see #1 at all in either the movie itself or the deleted scenes, and I figure #2 was just a flipped version of what was shown during the film. Am I missing something here or does the Blu-Ray have an "extended" cut?

I just finished the Blue ray and I got to say that it has one of the best Making OF docs that I have seen in my life.
It last 3 hours!, and it covers EVERY aspect of production. It is like a mini film-making course, in pre, production and post.
It is so vast in content, it has its own separate blue ray.
Not matter how you felt about the film, I would encourage all to watch this.

-R

jasonwestmas
10-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Neato Roberto. . .I definitely want to check that out. Thanks for the heads up.

erikals
10-22-2012, 11:14 AM
great info Roberto! :]

BeeVee
10-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Off-topic for this thread but just wanted to say. If anyone here is interested in getting the Avengers on Blu-Ray and is disappointed with the lack of extras on the European versions, get it from Amazon US. The four disc set has a BRD 3D, BRD and region 1 DVD, plus a download of the soundtrack, the alternate ending plus commentary and more from Joss Whedon. The Blu-Rays are not region-locked, which makes it a shame that the DVD is Region 1 rather than being Region 0, but the best thing is that with post and packing it only cost me €36 - much better than the local cost of €25 for a bare bones BRD.

B

Taro Yoshimoto
10-23-2012, 02:13 AM
It is not bad as say Transformers of course.

Mmm, I would say it is even more painful than transformers because it could have been so much better. I seriously think that transformers, as bad as it is, is more coherent and better handled than this disaster. As the movie was going, I was like "no prob, we still at the beginning"... but to my horror, the movie was already well in the second half.

I think this resume it very nicely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBaKqOMGPWc

erikals
10-23-2012, 09:07 AM
first half of that trailer, spot on.

probiner
10-23-2012, 10:51 AM
I think this resume it very nicely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBaKqOMGPWc

Ahaha. Very cool channel. The Titanic one made me cry laughing.

jeric_synergy
10-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Did HR Giger that is on this forum work on the movie?
....fer god's sake.....

geo_n
11-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Just watched everything. The behind the scene is the best documentation I've ever seen. They even document how the food is created. Didn't know the concept behind alien is alien fornication and infestation. Lol!
Good visual but something is missing in the movie. Its not scary. Seems average movie. One thing for sure the movie got me interested to watch the first alien movie, which is not my generation. So the movie did its job. Got new people interested in the franchise = money. Sequel in the works.
This scene definitely intrigued me and had to google what the nerds, as John Spaihts calls them, are talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDRLtgr2T9E
Funny name "space jockeys" but amazing and eerie scene.

Mr Rid
11-08-2012, 02:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLbcZggwVCw&feature=plcp

erikals
11-08-2012, 02:54 AM
Relax...
Disney will buy the rights to the Alien Saga about any time now... all will be good...

safetyman
11-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Good -- then Luke will get "impregnated" and we'll have an alien using the Force.

jasonwestmas
11-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Relax...
Disney will buy the rights to the Alien Saga about any time now... all will be good...

Then we'll get to see the Goofy character run around with an alien mask. lol

jasonwestmas
11-08-2012, 08:11 AM
Just watched everything. The behind the scene is the best documentation I've ever seen. They even document how the food is created. Didn't know the concept behind alien is alien fornication and infestation. Lol!
Good visual but something is missing in the movie. Its not scary. Seems average movie. One thing for sure the movie got me interested to watch the first alien movie, which is not my generation. So the movie did its job. Got new people interested in the franchise = money. Sequel in the works.
This scene definitely intrigued me and had to google what the nerds, as John Spaihts calls them, are talking about.

Yeah, a good movie is a good movie. FX are potentially better these days but is a far cry from an intelligent and imaginative mind on its own. Usually starts with great dialogue that engages the listener/viewer to want to know more of the mystery.

jeric_synergy
11-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Oh, I disagree: DIALOGUE per se just slows movies down. I think "tone" is much more important.

'WAYYYyyyyyy too much screenwriting is 'for radio'. Feh. IMO, the fewer words, the better. :)

jasonwestmas
11-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Oh, I disagree: DIALOGUE per se just slows movies down. I think "tone" is much more important.

'WAYYYyyyyyy too much screenwriting is 'for radio'. Feh. IMO, the fewer words, the better. :)

I don't recall commenting on the amount of dialogue but it has to be in there. :) Short and sweet and too the point CAN BE perfectly interesting and great. Movies aren't intended to be based on a real timeline anyway. They are designed to "get to the point."

jeric_synergy
11-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Dood, it's right there above my post! Unless you're insisting on 'amount'. :)

Anyway, in both books and movies I like to be pretty* baffled up to near the end, and then re-experience it, knowing all the landmarks. Not verbally explaining things facilitates that.

"Married to the Mob" (!!!), of all things, shows how editing can make that happen: during the credits they show a lot of not-included footage, and it COULD have been a very pedestrian movie had they used everything they shot. By leaving it on the cutting room floor, the movie was far better and quirkier than, apparently, the script.

*"pretty", not "totally".

Cryonic
11-08-2012, 05:32 PM
I don't think good movies have to start with good dialogue. I've seen shorts and paintings that tell entire stories without any dialogue. But if you are going to have dialogue, then it has to help the story or why are you wasting time with it in the script (or final cut). I've almost completely given up on going to movies as they just don't draw me in anymore, at least those cranked out by Hollywood. They have decent effects, but effects don't make a movie. I've seen many movies with far worse effects than are possible today, but I still enjoy them because of the story and pacing and other elements (like characters that actually develop or at least remain consistent to previous behaviors).

jasonwestmas
11-08-2012, 11:10 PM
I think the misunderstanding about the importance of dialogue lies in the levels of intended specificity. When you look at a painting it is open to much more interpretation. Dialogue , which is very popular in sequential art. . .tends to hold one's hand more and describe the POV of the characters. . . and therefore I think is more appropriate for a movie such as Alien because with speech I think the spookiness that leads to the ultimate terror is much more enhanced by a voice over dialogue. But hey if the creator of the story wants a lot of vague interpretation of his work then that is his choice. Much like two people look at ink blots and see something totally different from each other. So the question is, what does the creator wish to communicate and that which determines the best medium for that.

Besides that, I think that the person who listens to every word in a well written script is going to get much more out of the movie and even be drawn into the imagery much more than someone who is just looking for the next spirt of action or whatever eye candy they seek. Don't underestimate the power of the mind and how words enhance the visuals. Just because a hand functions nothing like the face doesn't mean they aren't part of the same body of meaning so to speak.

geo_n
11-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Prometheus explorers use archos for their space suits :D
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=109085&d=1352689786