PDA

View Full Version : Instancing placement

sublimationman
06-07-2012, 06:46 PM
OK, so I have an object that I need to reduce the poly's while keeping the resolution high and I figured this would be a perfect use for instancing. The image is the full object (toothbrush) and I want to know what the best way is to place instances like I have them arranged.

Basically I will have 2 brush bundles (one blue one white) and want to instance them in the pattern shown. I thought I could just use a layer with points but can't figure that out. Does it need to be poly's or something?

Thanks, I have only played with instancing a few times so need really good at it yet.

lertola2
06-07-2012, 08:42 PM
You can at put a 3 point polygon at the base of each of your bristols and then use the Polygons type alignment in the Instance Generator window to place a bristol instance on each of of the polygons. You can define the alignment of your instances by making one edge of your polygon shorter than the other two and then set the instance rotation to Edge Aligned.

sublimationman
06-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks.

I figured it out with both poly's and points. I keep forgetting to add the instancing to the object you want them on and not the object you want instances of. Once I figured that out it all worked in both ways.