PDA

View Full Version : Anti-aliasing settings in LW11.

Taro Yoshimoto
06-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Hi!

I'm a bit confuse about the new AA in LW11.

I used to use thoses settings in LW 9-10 (perpective camera);

Preview:
Threshold: 0.08
Oversample: 0.6

Fast final:
Threshold: 0.04

Motion blur or DoF:
Threshold: 0.025

Now I get those minimum and maximum samples... If I put minimum samples at 8 I get an OK result but render time is quite high. Adaptive sampling doesnt make any differences...

What would be the corresponding settings??

thanks

Danner
06-07-2012, 03:05 AM
I had a scene where 3 minimum and 6 maximum with adaptive sampling at threshold .01 oversample .5 looked great and rendered very quickly. Tried to reuse those settings on a garden scene with clip maps and a ton of tini plant textures.. I had to render in double resulution with low AA and scale back down to get decent render times/quality. So it is very scene dependant things that seem to trhow AA on a loop are large textures small long or almost horizontal poligons or patterns, very high contrast.

RebelHill
06-07-2012, 03:51 AM
The new system is kinda different, and a DIRECT translation between the 2 systems isnt really available per sť.

This'll tell you all you need to know... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgNB9tZWUmM

Taro Yoshimoto
06-08-2012, 05:52 AM
thanks for the link! 43min... I'll watch it this week-end.:thumbsup:

dwburman
06-08-2012, 11:03 AM
RebelHill's video is very thorough and definitely worth watching. It covers not only the settings, but some background as well.

To briefly answer your question about Camera AA:

It looks like you left Antialiasing at 1 in LW9/10 and only used AS to render. To do the same thing in LW11, set Minimum to 1, and put something in Maximum (6 or 12 might be a good start but you can set it really high if you need to). In LW 9/10 the "Maximum" was set automatically to double every AS pass. Now we can set Maximum value so that each AS pass doesn't take longer and longer.

In short:
Minimum in LW11 = Antialiasing in LW9/10
Maximum in LW11 = Internal setting in LW9/10 that a user couldn't change
Maximum must be greater than 1 for AS to have any effect.