PDA

View Full Version : FFX Dynamics

Richard Hebert
06-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Can FFX respond to collision objects without the use of spline guides? Can't seem to find any tutorials on this. If there is a tut just point me to it... don't want to take up anybodies time unnecessarily. Thanks guys.

Richard

silviotoledo
06-06-2012, 11:38 AM
With objects I guess not. I think the only way is to fake with Procedurals/Gradient/Map textures using the reference object to move these textures.

Greenlaw
06-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Can FFX respond to collision objects without the use of spline guides? Can't seem to find any tutorials on this. If there is a tut just point me to it... don't want to take up anybodies time unnecessarily. Thanks guys.
Are you talking about surface based fibers? If so, then no...there is nothing there for the fibers to collide with. But if you style the fibers using Edit Guides, you can enable LW Dynamics and apply ClothFX to them, which will allow the 'virtual' guides to be affected by collision.

Here at work however I'm pretty much sticking with modeled guides for FiberFX--IMO, modeled guides are more manageable for editing and applying dynamics. When I do use surface based fibers, it's typically for the base layer and I have no intention of applying dynamics to it--I'll use animated guides only for longer locks of hair in a second FiberFX layer.

BTW, in some cases, I find SoftFX is easier to use ClothFX, especially if the hairstyle is shorter. Just something to think about.

G.

Richard Hebert
06-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the info. and tips. I'll look into and dabble with softfx. It might give me what I need.

Richard

Richard Hebert
06-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Has anyone had any issues when creating spline guides in modeler? I created a 2 point poly chain in modeler then copied and pasted that chain to create multiple guides in modeler. FFX worked fine at first and then I started getting fibers growing from each segment in the chains. Is copying and pasting chains in modeler a bad idea for some reason or could this be a hiccup?

Richard

Greenlaw
06-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Hair guides need a root point. This is an additional point at the base of the guide which tells FiberFX and Sasquatch where to grow the hair from. Without the root point, hair rendering may fail or render incorrectly.

The most basic way to create a hair guide is to first create a curve. The knot on the end of the curve defines where the root goes--if you have this backwards, just press F to flip the end point.

To convert the curve to a FiberFX compatible guide use Strand Maker or Sherpa. Strand Maker comes with Lightwave and Sherpa can be downloaded from Steve Hurley's website. I like Sherpa because it gives me a few more options than Strand Maker, like being able to define the number of segments. Anyway, using either tool will convert the curve into a two-point polygon chain with a root point at the base.

In general, I like to use Strand Modeler to create my base hair. Strand Modeler outputs guides that already have the root point so conversion is not necessary. I believe the guides are also weighted and UV mapped from root to tip. I use a lot of other techniques too, usually a combination of techniques depending on the hairstyle I'm trying to create.

Hope this helps.

G.

Richard Hebert
06-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the good info. I'll apply it to the long list of things that I need to know!

Richard