PDA

View Full Version : Yet another AC3 thread

mgrusin
10-25-2003, 11:39 AM
This is a bump from another thread and may be naive as I'm still learning some of this stuff...

Are there any standalone licensed AC3 codecs available which can be operated directly from the toaster, or even the command line for that matter?

I'm trying to make extremely compatible NTSC DVDs and have had various playback issues with both PCM and MP3 audio. I've read opinions that AC3 audio (even two-channel) might help here. I've also read opinions that BeSweet, being unlicensed, can cause its own set of problems.

I'm currently (and happily) using VT3 for editing, TMPGENC for encoding, and DVD-Lab for authoring and burning. I don't mind paying for a licensed AC3 encoder, but I'd prefer not to have to buy another major software package to get it if I can avoid it. (I like the component approach, and between VT3 and LW8, I think my software budget has been met for this year. :D )

Thanks for any advice, -MG

ScorpioProd
10-25-2003, 06:08 PM
Unfortunately, VT[3] doesn't have a plug-in architecture for standard stuff like DirectX audio or VST plug-ins, so I don't see what you're asking for happening in VT[3].

Your cheapest route is actually to buy another application.

The stand-alone encoders like the excellent one called SurCode, are much MORE expensive than full NLE or authoring apps that include AC-3 encoding. Unless your NLE supported DirectX audio plug-ins, which is doesn't.

I recommend staying away from BeSweet, I've heard too many compatibility issues with its unlicenced encoding.

What I recommend is Ulead's DVD Workshop AC3. It's only $2xx now, and has a fully licensed Dolby AC-3 stereo encoder. It works great, and when you do your encoding, it does leave you the AC-3 file so you can use it in other programs. You don't even need to crash out of the program or anything fancy to get at the "temporary" file. And once you author in the program, you might not want to go back to any other authoring app!

mgrusin
10-29-2003, 11:07 AM
Unfortunately, VT[3] doesn't have a plug-in architecture for standard stuff like DirectX audio or VST plug-ins, so I don't see what you're asking for happening in VT[3].

I was thinking more along the lines of the realtime system codecs, e.g. Mainconcept DV and Picvideo MJPEG.

I will look into DVD Workshop w/ AC3. Thanks for your advice, as always!

-MG.