PDA

View Full Version : Tool Operation Stop/Cancel

Chrusion
05-31-2012, 04:38 PM
This is what I Feature Request FogBugzed just now...

Raise your hand! How many times have you inadvertently had a tool active, say the Extrude tool, after having just used it on some simple geometry in one layer, then switched layers to one with a bazillion polys and left-click dragged the cursor over some desired polys to select them, only to discover the Extrude tool was still active and now Modeler is stuck in processing limbo trying to extrude all 1 bazillion polys!!!! Oh, and you didn't save that last simple extrude operation before switching layers. Uuuugh! Where's the CANCEL / STOP tool button???

That's what this feature request is about. I mean, it's been 20 years and Modeler still lacks the simple feature of aborting a processor intensive internal (vs. plugin) operation when that process takes far too long to complete. Yes, where is that wonderful button that can save us from force quitting the app and lose the last few steps of our work?

Oh, and it has to be RESPONSIVE and actually end an operation within 2 seconds of being clicked! OK, 5 seconds. No need for an "Are you sure" dialog (or if one must be included, the option to disable it).

And there you have it... probably for the umteenth million time, but if not, I hope this singular request is SERIOUSLY considered and implemented... soon. In fact you just may get it done and added before my current session of Modeler finishes extruding a bazillion polys... which is looking like its never going to finish... 30 minutes and counting (using only 12% processor time on a quad core i7 920).

Tobian
05-31-2012, 07:20 PM
+1

probiner
06-01-2012, 02:17 AM
Raise your hand! How many times have you inadvertently had a tool active, say the Extrude tool, after having just used it on some simple geometry in one layer, then switched layers to one with a bazillion polys and left-click dragged the cursor over some desired polys to select them, only to discover the Extrude tool was still active and now Modeler is stuck in processing limbo trying to extrude all 1 bazillion polys

Never, because I always press Space to drop any tool. Sure this will change the Selection Mode, but it works (Except with Text Tool, then you have to use the command "Deselect Tool (Make))

Anyway... To be able to cancel an operation filling that Blue Bar at the bottom is good :)
PLG for example you can stop it's Relax iterations by pressing Esc, keeping the result from the last iteration. Smoot on the other hand allows none of this.

Cheers

Edit: I did not understood your post well at first, sorry.

Sensei
06-01-2012, 04:23 PM
You can't "implement" it. It requires rewriting all tools and adding code. LWSDK has such progress bar with canceling built-in by pressing ESC (in older LW I think there was cancel button).

But such simple tool like Extrude or so, is and never was considered as heavy cpu using, so they didn't add progress bar to it..

Whether something is using cpu heavy or not heavy, depends only from polygon count.

See boolean tool- it was considered as heavy cpu using - and it has progress bar and you can cancel it with ESC.

Tobian
06-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Hmm well putting a cancel button on there for operations which do have a progress bar, would be a start. I never knew escape would cancel them, but thanks for the tip :)

Another tool which I find horrendous, as I have done it more than a few times by accident, because of the shortcut placement.. insert layer (pc insert key, right next to the delete key) - I'll just delete these polygons........ why has my computer frozen... aarrggghhhhhhhhhh noooooooooooooooooooo! :)

Sensei
06-01-2012, 07:43 PM
If you would work with lighter scenes you wouldn't have so many problems :p