PDA

View Full Version : Difference between pivot and origin action center modes

renrique
10-25-2003, 09:30 AM
wich is the difference between pivot and origin action center modes?

sannyasi
10-25-2003, 10:02 AM
Initially there is no difference, and thats because by default objects/layers have there pivot at the origin. If you use the pivot tool to alter the pivot points position in modeler you'll see the difference.

Tom Wood
10-25-2003, 11:46 AM
At first I thought that was a typo, about moving the pivot in Modeler, but now I see the advantage - It saves with the object. If the pivot has been moved in Layout and then subsequently moved in Modeler, and there may be small differences, which takes precedent? Is it necessary to clear the settings in Layout, and how?

Thanks,

TW

UnCommonGrafx
10-25-2003, 12:57 PM
Reset should get it for you.

Modeler's has initial precedence; then layout, if you change the pivot.

tburbage
11-01-2003, 10:02 PM
I don't know how many modelers use this, but Rotate, Size, and Stretch tools will use the Pivot as a center. Assuming of course you've moved the Pivot from the world origin, this can allow you to precisely place the pivot for temporary modeling purposes, then perform multiple transforms on the selected elements.

Unfortunately, not all tools and commands pay any attention to the action center settings.

apex
11-02-2003, 04:09 AM
How can you precisely move the pivot point in modeler aside from doing it manually? Is there something that I am missing. Say I have a car. Body on one layer, each wheel on it's own layer. It seems to be a real hassle continuing to zoom in on each viewport and make incremental moves to get it exact. Is there a way to say take a wheel and automatically make the center the pivot? The way I do it now is construct-utility-measure-pointcenter and then write down the average it comes up with and input them into the pivot positions. Is there something more efficient that I am missing?

kenrem

UnCommonGrafx
11-02-2003, 04:18 AM
Yeah,
DStorm made a CenterPivot script that I use, if I recall correctly.

apex
11-02-2003, 05:35 AM
Thanks bunches:cool: