PDA

View Full Version : DP Part Move to transform a line of text into a circle of text

AbstractTech3D
05-30-2012, 08:14 PM
So, my nodal set-up doesn't work. Not sure why.

I'm trying to get the text string to wrap into a perfect circle - without bending occurring within each letter - but just by re-positioning each letter.

My thinking has been to get the fraction of the total length of the text string that each letter occurs at, multiply by 2xPi (radians) and input that into sin and cos to get x and z coordinates. And then subtract the initial x position of each letter… and multiply by radius.

Obviously my math / logic is flawed. (A bit embarrassed). This is the 2nd time this issue has stumped me:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=125905

Once I have that, I then need to rotate each letter to face outwards perfectly, also.

Any help or solutions appreciated!

Cheers:thumbsup:

lertola2
05-30-2012, 10:30 PM
The attached scene does put the parts on a circle. In your node setup I did not see anywhere where you added the radius of the circle you wanted the parts to sit on so I put that in. The baseline and spacing is messed up though. I haven't been able to figure out why that is.

-Joe

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=104712&stc=1&d=1338438504

AbstractTech3D
05-31-2012, 12:34 AM
Thanks Joe! That's helped a lot.

I should have explained myself a bit better, sorry. I meant the circle to be along the x-z plane.

Modifying just a little your setup, I almost get what I want. What I've now got positions the letters correctly on the x-z plane - and with correct spacing, but the rotation is such that the letters are readable from inside the circle - not the outside. I can well imagine setups where this would be useful as is.
In fact, however, I want to rotate the letters to be readable from the outside. Swapping the 'Multiply x1' factor to -1 doesn't produce the correct result. I really don't know why?!

Any advice on getting the letters to rotate correctly?

Update:

Got it!

dpont
05-31-2012, 01:16 AM
The most simple,
first center each part by multiplying the oPos of each part
by <-1, 0, -1>,
then build the sin/cos position scaled by the length
of the text,

Denis.

AbstractTech3D
05-31-2012, 01:33 AM
Cheers Denis!

Kuzey
05-31-2012, 05:47 AM
Excellent..I'll have to have a look see when I get the chance!

:thumbsup:

Kuzey

jeric_synergy
05-31-2012, 08:38 AM
Whoa. :eek:

When y'all get that working, a step by step breakdown, either here or LightWIKI or make some money with an article, would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Big KUDOS for clearly labeling all the nodes!!! Seriously, that helps a LOT.

Bill Carey
05-31-2012, 08:49 AM

When y'all get that working, a step by step breakdown, either here or LightWIKI or make some money with an article, would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, there is some leanring available there!

Julez4001
05-31-2012, 10:24 AM
I third that.

lertola2
05-31-2012, 07:02 PM

Big KUDOS for clearly labeling all the nodes!!! Seriously, that helps a LOT.

Denis does have it working in his post above. I have taken the liberty of renaming some of his node setup to make it clearer what is happening.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=104740&stc=1&d=1338512335

raw-m
06-01-2012, 03:02 AM
Interesting experiment! Another one for a LightWIKI here. But, I have to say, my heart sinks a little when I see nodes for sin/cos/radians etc...

Bit off topic but can someone write some "simple" UI nodes, like Make Primitive, that does all calculations for us, so we just select the shape, feed in radiuses, positions....? :D

How about a resource Library/Preset Shelf of this sort of stuff, with a brief description and screen grab to use as a starting point. Like the Preset Central approach, everyone can share.

jeric_synergy
06-01-2012, 07:46 AM
If NEWTEK wanted to challenge C4D on the mograph front, they would package similar template scenes and distribute them.

Isn't that what the "Logo Machine" basically was???

prometheus
06-01-2012, 08:16 AM
I remember seeing rubber band node type connections somewhere, when and where was that? easier on the eye t look at.:D

Great stuff otherwise.

jeric_synergy
06-01-2012, 09:30 AM
animating some of the scalars....

jeric_synergy
06-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Here's an extruded version of the test object. Works fine.