PDA

View Full Version : Deformers apply to Bones or Lattice CP instead of Mesh...

probiner
05-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Another "what if..."

There are several ways to get simple geometry to deform more complex and dense geometry in LW. But these elements themselves normally have strict ways about how they can be handled.

What if... a hole hierarchy of bones or Lattice Field (They're just 2-point-polys?) could be deformed like we deform a mesh in Modeler and Layout, with Bend, Twist, Drag Net, Metalink, Cloth FX or even a second hierarchy of bones or Lattice.

Because sometimes even when modeling there's the need to change things around as a whole, but only the structure underneath the mesh, not the mesh itself.

Cheers

evenflcw
05-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Hopefully this is where we are heading. Both nulls and points primarily describe points in space. The same transformer/deformer should be able to be driven by and drive both. It's wasteful to code specific solutions for either when the same solution could be used for both - all it needs is better design at the core.

probiner
05-31-2012, 04:50 AM
Hi dan. I guess that last sentence it's it :p I'll just add some images to make my point more explicit

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/animatics/Lightwave/Bones-Deform.png

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/animatics/Lightwave/Bones-Deform-2B.png

So bottom line having not just an Object's mesh geometry, but any Item's geometry to be seen and Displaced/Deformed by the tools for that task.

I guess that with instancing placement some of this can already be tackled for mesh objects. But not for the remaining Items or any underlying deforming structure, right?

Cheers

silviotoledo
06-03-2012, 06:27 PM
That's why we need a deform stack

Actually we don't have layers of deformation. So not possible to deform over a deform rig. Sad!

evenflcw
06-03-2012, 11:26 PM
For "deforming a rig" you do not need a deform stack unless you use a mesh to drive the item animation. And in that case you need more than just a deform stack. In current layout mesh displacement always occurs after item animation - so essentially mesh animation can't drive item animation (without the frame lag which can only be overcome by forcing double evaluation causing performance and possibly other issues). We really need a unified animation core that can alternate between the two and allows users to control that evaluation order as needed.

There is an alternative. It is still possible to "deform" a rig (with bones) in current LW if the same math that is applied to mesh points is doubled for item animation. Ie bones driving items directly (rather then via bone deformed mesh), implemented as a motion modifier. That is entirely possible today.