PDA

View Full Version : Here's a free big ship from my long ago past...

shrox
05-29-2012, 04:45 PM
I made this space destroyer for Digital Anvil's game Conquest and the movie Wing Commander long, long ago.

I am trying to repopulate my new hard drive and a friend found it in his archive and sent it to me.

I might have posted this before, couldn't find it on here though.

lwanmtr
05-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Neat....I did some ships for an old combat game called Metal Moons (which never got finished)....every now and then I look at them and think I should refit them....one of them I did and used it for the command ship in the short we made called 'Invasion'.

m.d.
05-29-2012, 06:05 PM
thanks....
hope you don't mind if i blow it up :)

lwanmtr
05-29-2012, 06:06 PM
yep....with LW11, we can now put our old models to use again as fodder....lol

shrox
05-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Blow it up! Make it go boom!

rcallicotte
05-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Are you k-e-e-e-iiiding meeeee? Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Thanks!

JamesCurtis
06-01-2012, 06:38 PM
If someone does do it, could the scene [and any modified objects] be posted here maybe? If that's okay by you Shrox?!!

shrox
06-01-2012, 07:17 PM
If someone does do it, could the scene [and any modified objects] be posted here maybe? If that's okay by you Shrox?!!

Please do. If you blast it, post it.

DigitalSorcery8
06-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Beautiful ship Shrox! :thumbsup:

ncr100
06-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks Shrox!

Cryonic
06-11-2012, 10:19 PM
I took at look at the model in LW11. Guess some of the parts will need to be solidified as Bullet doesn't like models that aren't water-tight.

prometheus
06-14-2012, 02:18 AM
Hey shrox, Im no spacecraft designer or modeler exactly, but Im curious about edge beveling on these kind of models.

Is this how you usually model the ships, or is this more a low res version?
Just thinking about parts of 90 degree angles, where there is no edge beveling or rounding and thus not picking up highlights?

Or would you remodel with that for close cam shots, or use some shader like edgeFX?

Michael

lwanmtr
06-14-2012, 02:27 AM
For long shots, you dont need to bevel when a corner wont be showing any highlights....but with systems handling more geometry it becomes less of an issue..at least for me...I model for the 'hero' normally and reduce later if I need

prometheus
06-14-2012, 02:39 AM
For long shots, you dont need to bevel when a corner wont be showing any highlights....but with systems handling more geometry it becomes less of an issue..at least for me...I model for the 'hero' normally and reduce later if I need

Yeah I figure that, but many of most cool shots are close up fly by, so I was thinking what would be the best workflow, paying attention to build the huge hero model from scratch with bevels, or vice versa?
Any good production hints? I suspect this might be very highly dependent on production and depending on scene shot itself perhaps, no general rule?

Michael

lwanmtr
06-14-2012, 03:29 AM
if your ship is extremely large, and you only need an extreme close up of a small part, then concentrate most detail there and model the rest so you can put in that section as needed.

My general rule is if I only need one, I build as much of the detail as I can into one model...makes it simpler to load one model...However, I've had to make detail levels for some that I only needed massive detail in one shot.

My workflow is probably not 'normal'...lol. I used the hero model for all the shots in Invasion, and that was a near 1 million polys...but the smaller ships were not so detailed, since I only needed one close up of a launch bay.

If LW ever gets to handling multimiliion poly objects easily, then the need for 100 detail level objects will be a thing of the past, I think.

shrox
06-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Yeah I figure that, but many of most cool shots are close up fly by, so I was thinking what would be the best workflow, paying attention to build the huge hero model from scratch with bevels, or vice versa?
Any good production hints? I suspect this might be very highly dependent on production and depending on scene shot itself perhaps, no general rule?

Michael

Add more stuff as you wish. I started with the in game model, and built up from there.