PDA

View Full Version : Flocking, ground & nodal displacement

raw-m
05-29-2012, 12:28 PM
I've hit a stumbling block as was wondering if anyone had a solution.

I basically want to do some Flocking over a terrain's surface. I've created the surface using a nodal displacement on my terrain. Now I need to apply this to my Flock. Using the texture editor attached to Lock to Ground/Ground Level, I've opened the texture editor/Layer Type/Prod Tex.../Prod Type and selected Node Editor.

This is where I've fallen - pasting the displacement nodes from the terrain displacement I've noticed that the Spot Info Normals are no longer relevant. I can't find a node that will point me to the Normals of another object, in this case my terrain. Can't even see one in DP Kit!

Anyone found a solution or do I have to rebuild my terrain using the "old fashioned" Texture Editor?!

RebelHill
05-29-2012, 12:51 PM
The ground contact for flocking is a bit screwed atm... as in not fully functional. I believe the only thing you can do presently is to create an orthographic render of the terrain from top view, with a black to white gradient applied to give what effectively becomes a heightmap texture image... you then use this image in flock to define the ground.

James can say for sure if you can get him to chime in...

But I agree, spot info def needs an "item" input to allow us to pull the data from one item in another's node flow... [email protected] y'know!!

raw-m
05-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Nice tips there RH. Orthagraphic render will work for this, will drop that email address a little feature request, as well.