PDA

View Full Version : Laptop with Nvidia Cuda to work with bullet and turbulenceFD

prometheus
05-29-2012, 02:43 AM
Im looking in to a laptop for work with Lightwave and that can handle the bullet engine well and also be able to use the cuda options for TurbulenceFD.

I would also need the cuda workframe when using fractron 3000, a flame fractal creator.

Have no idea for the moment about wich one to choose thou..
Just saw the Dell xps 17 wich looks interesting, wich have the second generation of I7 processors and nvidia graphics, but do not now how that would work with cuda yet.

Any advices?
Thanks

Michael

ianr
05-30-2012, 06:31 AM
Alienware laptops can swapout nvidia GFXcards for a bit of future proofing.
Go(nvidia) chips are very much cut down versions of big cards.
They are on all other laptops, so ask Alienware for a GPU carded quote,
be prepared to burn all your birthday present monies!

prometheus
05-30-2012, 06:48 AM
Alienware laptops can swapout nvidia GFXcards for a bit of future proofing.
Go(nvidia) chips are very much cut down versions of big cards.
They are on all other laptops, so ask Alienware for a GPU carded quote,
be prepared to burn all your birthday present monies!

I did check som Alienware laptops, but for those available they seemed lower equipped than for example dells.

I must mention that I need 17 inch display at least, I would like to have blueray too, but not an absolute must, same with 3d ready display.

Intel I7 processors of the second generation is a must, at least 8g of ram, but if possible even more, that is needed for fluid sims.

But I think I wonīt spend more than 1.799$

Im going through some specifications of laptops right now ranging from asus,dell,msi,..not fond of samsung products, and HP I donīt know much about, mostly seen radeon cards in those.

I wonder what laptops Lino Grandi is using, and the rest of the newtek showcase team?

Michael

ianr
05-30-2012, 07:09 AM
Yeah Prom,
Let me know if BOXX make then its probably them!
Other-wise,you & me are shopping in the Future Mall.

prometheus
05-31-2012, 04:38 AM
Dam... Itīs hard to find one with what you want..
Funny how it varies from model to model from the same brand..a cheaper sony vaio

1.Sony Vaio VPCF24L1E / Core™ i5-2450M / 4GB / 640GB / GeForceŪ GT 540M / 16,4" / W7HP
This one..has an i5 processor and i want i7...but the hardrive is7200 rpm.

more expensive is this one.. it has i7 cpu, but only 5200 prm on the harddrive, alway cutting down somewhere it seems.

2.Sony Vaio VPCF24P1E / Core™ i7-2670QM / 8GB / 640GB / GeForceŪ GT 540M / 16,4" / W7HP

Ahh..hereīs one that might be appropiate.I thought..it has i7 and 7200rpm and all of these has bluray optic discdrive, but this has 6GB of ram that might be to little.

3.Sony Vaio VPCF23P1E/B - Core i7-2670M / 6GB / 640GB / GT 540M / 16,4" / Win 7 HP - Svart

prometheus
06-01-2012, 01:14 AM
I found this too..and made a booking of it, there was only this one left in the store, and my computer system is down with the desktop computer.

ASUS G74SX - i7-2670QM / 8GB / 750GB / 17,3" / GTX560M 3GB / BT / Win 7

Full specification in the pdF
It looks decent,3GB GDDR5 VRAM and nvidia gforceGTX560, I hope it works with turbulenceFD cuda options thou.

8GB of ram
Plays bluray, no burning.
17.3 display full HD.
Cost something around...
11790 SEK / 1.614 USD

geo_n
06-01-2012, 01:50 AM
Sony vaio are overpriced like macs. Poor specs high price.
I had an asus core2duo 1.8ghz with 7600gt before and after 2 1/2 years of heavy use for 3d rendering, it would restart due to heating issues during rendering.
I have an acer i7 1.6ghz with gt320m, its older generation than your picks but it does support cuda and tested with octane, 3dcoat, turbulence, sony vegas and works well.
That asus you picked would be twice faster. But don't expect it to last too long if you're going to be doing heavy rendering and sims.

prometheus
06-01-2012, 05:00 AM
Sony vaio are overpriced like macs. Poor specs high price.
I had an asus core2duo 1.8ghz with 7600gt before and after 2 1/2 years of heavy use for 3d rendering, it would restart due to heating issues during rendering.
I have an acer i7 1.6ghz with gt320m, its older generation than your picks but it does support cuda and tested with octane, 3dcoat, turbulence, sony vegas and works well.
That asus you picked would be twice faster. But don't expect it to last too long if you're going to be doing heavy rendering and sims.

Great to hear that you tested on those app & plugins, thanks.

Yeah I am a little worried about the life endurance when working with that, I wonder what factor is the most crucial and has the most impact on the life endurance, the power supply or the cooling system?

It looks right now that I will go for that Asus, the pricing and the specs Is a bit better I think.

I will still work mostly with my desktop computer once I buy a new system harddrive and reinstall the system again, I could try and reinstall my full system backup, but It might have some sort of virus infection, I used spyhunter and after that I couldnīt start it up.

Michael

ianr
06-01-2012, 05:56 AM
Nice an Asus yep i've thrashed an asus around with previous Lightwave's
point 1) nice 3Gb memory on that 560 thats a bonus!

point2) I would run it on top of a fan cooler tray as asus's run hot.

Keep us posted if you bench it,VPR times etc. Good luck

geo_n
06-01-2012, 11:02 PM
I wonder what factor is the most crucial and has the most impact on the life endurance, the power supply or the cooling system?

Probably the cooling system. Don't think laptops were made to be used for rendering 8-12 hours a day 100% cpu use. The components are not as well spaced as it is in a desktop. Bad ventilation. I even had a cooling pad with four fans underneath but still..
Nowadays I do light rendering on the laptop offsite and render on the home desktop remotely via windowslivemesh.

prometheus
06-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Probably the cooling system. Don't think laptops were made to be used for rendering 8-12 hours a day 100% cpu use. The components are not as well spaced as it is in a desktop. Bad ventilation. I even had a cooling pad with four fans underneath but still..
Nowadays I do light rendering on the laptop offsite and render on the home desktop remotely via windowslivemesh.

Indeed, as soon as I get my desktop computer fixed, (new harddrive and installation of the systems) It will be the main workhorse, the asus laptop wich I bought on friday will serve as backup & demonstration workhorse mainly.

I havent installed the cuda toolkit and framework yet, so I do not know how Turbulence sims are performing compared to my desktop computer.

Ivé been having serious issues with my broadband, either a faulty modem or something with the telestation, so at the beginning I only had extremly slow speed at 0.6 mb or slower and sometime above 1.36 downwards.
now my isp provider did a change and I got 14 mbit down at least as I use to have, but it constantly looses connection and reconnect all the time, so
I am waiting for a new adsl modem to arrive in the beginning of next week.

Michael

geo_n
06-03-2012, 11:05 AM
With the new nvidia drivers don't think you need to install cuda toolkit.
Be curious to see how fast the i7-2670QM in a lightwave render. One of erikals threads had a lw smoke and reflection scene benchmark. The GTX560M could be tested with the sample scenes in t4d.

Eagle66
06-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Notice: Sony Vaio and ASUS G74xxx are Consumer Notebooks, they are not designed for CAD or 3D Application and have a very noisy fan for this big processor!

I can recommend HP EliteBook 8560w Mobile Workstation with NVIDIA Quadro 1000M or Dell Precision M4600 with Quadro 1000M. I use 2nd Hand HP EliteBook from the HP Renew Program - great - for half price!
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/321957-321957-64295-3740645-4307559-5071171.html?dnr=1
HP EliteBooks have a separate NUM-Pannel and very robust Hardware with MIL-Standard.

geo_n
06-03-2012, 12:35 PM
The 1,649.00USD model. Thats a very good one for the price. 384 cuda cores, too compared to 192 for gtx560m. Too bad lightwave doesn't benefit from a quadro. But it should be really good for turbulence.

edit: sorry it only has 96. That's not good at all.
http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx_go.html

prometheus
06-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Notice: Sony Vaio and ASUS G74xxx are Consumer Notebooks, they are not designed for CAD or 3D Application and have a very noisy fan for this big processor!

I can recommend HP EliteBook 8560w Mobile Workstation with NVIDIA Quadro 1000M or Dell Precision M4600 with Quadro 1000M. I use 2nd Hand HP EliteBook from the HP Renew Program - great - for half price!
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/321957-321957-64295-3740645-4307559-5071171.html?dnr=1
HP EliteBooks have a separate NUM-Pannel and very robust Hardware with MIL-Standard.

Itīs to late, I already bought Asus..
Besides, the quadro range is more suitable for cad work, and as mentioned beneath from geo_n that quadro has less cuda cores and might in fact perform lesser than the asus with geforce and more cuda cores, and in fact more than double than the quadro card.
for turbulenceFD simulations I think my Asus should perform much better with that when choosing the gpu for simulations.
for what Itīs worth my laptop also has a separate num panel:)

The 1,649.00USD model. Thats a very good one for the price. 384 cuda cores, too compared to 192 for gtx560m. Too bad lightwave doesn't benefit from a quadro. But it should be really good for turbulence.
for what Itīs wort..my laptop also has seperate num panel:)

edit: sorry it only has 96. That's not good at all.
http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx_go.html

Indeed

prometheus
06-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Uhh...have to download the gtx 560M drivers from work tomorrow, my internet connection keeps shutting down and connecting from second to second.

Thanks for heads up on those.

Michael

geo_n
06-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Here's the thread with some benchmark.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=105742&highlight=smoke+test