PDA

View Full Version : How to make a passenger train trail a locomotive?

mwilcko
05-28-2012, 09:29 PM
This is driving me nuts. I figured I would export the motion path used by the locomotive and shift the frames about 10 frames for the passenger car... however, it doesn't work reliably. In certain areas, it stays the appropriate distance back, but in others, it rides to close or too far back. Tried adjusting the keyframes manually, but that didn't work out terribly well either.

Is there a better approach for doing this? Parenting doesn't seem to work either.

nickdigital
05-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Have you tried using Follower?

Or see if this thread helps.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=76730&highlight=train

Or these:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/LeadFollow.mov
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/rollertrain.mov

THREEL
05-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Have you tried using Follower?

Or see if this thread helps.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=76730&highlight=train

Or these:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/LeadFollow.mov
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/rollertrain.mov

Nick,

You probably listed this, but since I can't seem to open it as a Quicktime file, I thought I'd share it as a YouTube file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg0xa2Ovvxw

Hope this helps and a BIG thanks to William Vaughan for all the help he's shared over the years. :thumbsup:

SplineGod
05-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Dr Follower in Relativity has a "wizard" to help setup stuff like this.

DrStrik9
05-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Dr Follower in Relativity has a "wizard" to help setup stuff like this.

It seems Relativity is getting to be one of the most overlooked things in LW. It ROCKS.

SplineGod
05-29-2012, 05:59 PM
I agree. Its been around long before LW had native expressions and is very powerful.
Definately worth digging into. :)

mwilcko
05-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the tips with Follower, it works well. The only issue I am running into is with align to path. Heading aligns properly, but not Pitch? Rather than angling up on my track for a hill, the cars tend to tilt down?

jeric_synergy
05-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the tips with Follower, it works well. The only issue I am running into is with align to path. Heading aligns properly, but not Pitch? Rather than angling up on my track for a hill, the cars tend to tilt down?
Are they actually tilting down, or are they just not tilting at all?

I'm speculating that "Align" might not work with Follower, since it's not really a motion path. Or you might need to apply Follower or something like Follower to the cars' rotation channels.

++
EDIT: FWIW, Follower here is faithfully duplicating all target rotations, w/o even using its own "Align to Path" checkbox.

jeric_synergy
05-29-2012, 11:33 PM
You probably listed this, but since I can't seem to open it as a Quicktime file, I thought I'd share it as a YouTube file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg0xa2Ovvxw

Hope this helps and a BIG thanks to William Vaughan for all the help he's shared over the years. :thumbsup:
While I think that Proton's technique demonstrated above was an excellent illumination of how LW's tools can work synergistically/additively to achieve effects that otherwise would be difficult, as a practical technique I don't think most people would want to create a roller-coaster track in this manner, ie via bone deformation.
+++
FOLLOWER UI: I don't think it's very workflow friendly that neither ENTER on the numpad nor ENTER on the main keyboard dismisses the Follower panel: while using Escape cancels any changes the user may have made to numeric fields in the panel.

Basically, the user is forced to use the CONTINUE button to exit the panel with changes intact, which as a mouse operation is inherently slow.

(While, for completeness, I also think there should be an explicit Cancel button, that users can see, not just the implicit Escape option, which noobs won't know about. If the button were labeled "CANCEL (Esc)" it would also be consistent with LW user interface conventions.)